Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Hi! In the past, I have only bought Tide because I was convinced Tide works better than most detergents. However, I am finding it has become the most expensive detergent to buy.

I am trying to save on every thing possible these days as money is very tight.

What laundry detergent do you think is worth the money and works very well? Or better yet, do you have one that is a great bargain?
I used to love Tide, but it is too expensive. Then I switched to the All, I liked the small concentrate bottle. But now, drum roll please, I have been making my own liquid laundry soap. It is crazy easy to make and CHEAP, and it WORKS.

I just finished my second batch the other day. The first lasted about 4 months, with the stuff to make costing about $5.00 total. But it is stuff that you reuse, so the actual cost for about 10 gallons worth is literally pennies. Highly recommend it. I feel so good, almost smug, at not giving Proctor and Gamble more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I like Gain - Apple Mango Tango, LOL

No kids so we don't have super-stained clothing. The stuff worn when working in the yard, etc. - gets soaked in OxyClean and then washed in regular detergent. I tried Purex when it was on sale, as well as Arm & Hammer and didn't like them - the clothes had detergent lines and the towels smelled sour, I don't think they clean very well.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I can't say which is the best detergent but Purex does not work for me.It just does not clean as well as the others. I notice the little things. I hate wasting money if I don't have to but I use tide because it cleans really well. I use Woolite dark for my dark clothes.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I buy whatever's cheap. Throw in some Borax...maybe some vinegar if I'm washing my towels.... I just buy whatever liquid detergent is cheap and non-smelly.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I used to love Tide, but it is too expensive. Then I switched to the All, I liked the small concentrate bottle. But now, drum roll please, I have been making my own liquid laundry soap. It is crazy easy to make and CHEAP, and it WORKS.

I just finished my second batch the other day. The first lasted about 4 months, with the stuff to make costing about $5.00 total. But it is stuff that you reuse, so the actual cost for about 10 gallons worth is literally pennies. Highly recommend it. I feel so good, almost smug, at not giving Proctor and Gamble more money.
Cool! Can you share the recipe?

Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Cool! Can you share the recipe?

Glad to. This is my modified version of the Duggars recipe. Here goes:

The Yes, I Make My Own Soap - Laundry Soap Recipe

4 cups hot tap water
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup Washing Soda, not baking soda, but by Arm & Hammer just the same
1/2 cup Borax, I buy the 20 Mule Team Borax
Big pail or bucket 5 gal. size

Though these items may sound strange, all can be found at your local grocery store. I got all of my ingredients at Kroger.

Step one: Shave, scrape, or cut up the soap in small pieces, you'll be melting it. Add to pot with the 4 cups of hot tap water. Stir over medium low heat until the soap dissolves.

I use an electric stove turned on 5-6. Initially stirring continuously, then every few minutes or so. This is the longest step, takes about 8 minutes or so to fully dissolve the soap shavings and even then you may still have a few solid pieces left, which is okay. If you do have a few solid pieces lurking, just strain them out. You want smooth, no solids at all. I used a regular colander to strain.

Step two: Fill your 5 gallon pail or bucket half full of hot tap water*, the hotter the better. Add the washing soda, the borax, and then your melted bar soap mixture. * I like to add just enough hot water at first to easily stir all of the ingredients without getting my hands to close to the water - then add the rest of the hot water to get to half full. Stir well until powders are dissolved. Fill to almost to the top with hot tap water.

You're almost done. Cover tightly and let sit overnight. When you awaken, you will have a beautiful gel like concoction. You've just made your soap concentrate!!

Stir and fill a used laundry container half full of the soap, and the rest of the way with tap water. Shake and use! Shake before each use. 5/8 a cup for typical loads. Enjoy!!!

Take a trip to Hawaaii, with all of the money you save.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Glad to. This is my modified version of the Duggars recipe. Here goes:

The Yes, I Make My Own Soap - Laundry Soap Recipe

4 cups hot tap water
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup Washing Soda, not baking soda, but by Arm & Hammer just the same
1/2 cup Borax, I buy the 20 Mule Team Borax
Big pail or bucket 5 gal. size

Though these items may sound strange, all can be found at your local grocery store. I got all of my ingredients at Kroger.

Step one: Shave, scrape, or cut up the soap in small pieces, you'll be melting it. Add to pot with the 4 cups of hot tap water. Stir over medium low heat until the soap dissolves.

I use an electric stove turned on 5-6. Initially stirring continuously, then every few minutes or so. This is the longest step, takes about 8 minutes or so to fully dissolve the soap shavings and even then you may still have a few solid pieces left, which is okay. If you do have a few solid pieces lurking, just strain them out. You want smooth, no solids at all. I used a regular colander to strain.

Step two: Fill your 5 gallon pail or bucket half full of hot tap water*, the hotter the better. Add the washing soda, the borax, and then your melted bar soap mixture. * I like to add just enough hot water at first to easily stir all of the ingredients without getting my hands to close to the water - then add the rest of the hot water to get to half full. Stir well until powders are dissolved. Fill to almost to the top with hot tap water.

You're almost done. Cover tightly and let sit overnight. When you awaken, you will have a beautiful gel like concoction. You've just made your soap concentrate!!

Stir and fill a used laundry container half full of the soap, and the rest of the way with tap water. Shake and use! Shake before each use. 5/8 a cup for typical loads. Enjoy!!!

Take a trip to Hawaaii, with all of the money you save.
Wow - thank you. This might be a fun project with the kids this summer. I have never heard of Fels-naptha soap? Will I be able to find this in the soap or cleaning aisle? If not, is there a substitute? Washing soda? Cleaning aisle?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
Thanks OLDHOUSEGIRL for that info. I may have to try it and it looks easy!

Seriously, I used to be a big Tide fan but their prices....I mean come on now! Their prices are insane!

Currently, I buy whatever is the cheapest and works. For me that's Arm & Hammer's liquid detergent.

Tide/P&G, will only get the message when their products continues to stay on the shelf while all the other, less expensive products move off the shelf!

Here's to consumer power!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Fels-naptha soap? Will I be able to find this in the soap or cleaning aisle? If not, is there a substitute? Washing soda? Cleaning aisle?

Thanks!
Fels-naptha is an old fashioned bar soap, that is typically and traditionally used for laundry. You can find it in the laundry soap aisle. Ask if you don't see it. Pronounced, "Fells-Nap-The(Thu, not Thee)".

Washing Soda. Also at your grocer. Maybe at Walmart. It's in a big yellow box, made by the same folks that make the baking soda. But NOT baking soda, washing soda. I would look in the laundry soap aisle, it will likely be next to the Borax, on the lower shelves. You know, where the stuff is that THEY don't want to catch your eye. Hint - less profit.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I like Gain - Apple Mango Tango, LOL

This is my favorite also !!! I love the smell.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products