Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Um ... my kids are 15 and 25.

And you still bring them to movies?

(your phraseology implied that..... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
OK. I worked as a projectionist, manager, and district manager for many years and even had my own theatre at one point.

First - costs of tickets - A popular film can start out with a 90/10 split. 90% to the film company, 10% to the theatre. As the run continues, the rate usually drops and is adjusted. Overall, after taxes, a theatre gets roughly half or the ticket price on average. I won't go into the guarantees that theatres have to agree to just to book some films.

As a rule of thumb, consider that the ticket revenues generally just cover the "nut" or cost of operating. Ever try to air condition or heat a barn? The power bills alone can be staggering in a theatre. There are huge costs in operating a theatre.

Second - cost of popcorn. Material costs ARE very low. Roughly a dollar a pound for oil in bulk, corn is usually less than a dollar a pound. Bags are less than 10 cents. (Popcorn cups can be much more expensive). What people forget is the other costs involved. Tell me, what MATERIAL costs does a doctor have when he examines you? Maybe a tissue, a spritz of soap, and a paper towel. Now that records are computerized he doesn't even have the material cost of pen and paper.

The costs in popcorn are in electricity, staffing, insurance, waste, and clean-up. Sell $100 worth of corn on a weeknight, and your staff costs alone can eat $75 of that. Businesses have the wages, contributions to social security and FICA, and other payroll expense above the amount paid to the concessionist. On top of that, many theatres throw out the unused popcorn at the close of business to insure fresh product and allow thorough cleaning.

Is popcorn still intensely profitable? Sure, if there are the crowds to support it. Are the drinks profitable? Sure. Theatres are in business to make money. Those that don't, go out of business. When I was in south Florida, there were no less than five theatres within a mile of my house in 1990. By 2000 there was only one. If the profits are that obscene, ever wonder why the number of theatres is decreasing rather than increasing? Get real.

Third - A theatre is a private business that caters to the public. As long as management acts within anti-discrimination laws, it can set any rules it wants.

One of the MAJOR reasons that outside beverages aren't allowed is that alcohol in the general theatre IS illegal in some states. A theatre without the proper licenses cannot serve alcohol or allow it in open containers. Allowing it, and the subsequent problems exposes a theatre to a a large potential liability. And YES, in certain situations large purses and bags can be refused, unless they can be voluntarily shown to be free of a six pack or whatever. It is simply "Sorry, we don't allow big bags in here." BTDT, got sworn at regularly.

There can be other concerns as well. Filming or videotaping a movie is very much illegal, but for a while a lot of pirated movies were from some person sitting in a near empty auditorium with a camcorder. A theatre that is found to harbor such activity will either get shut down by the film companies or have all staff and management fired.

When you buy a ticket, you are given a revocable license for a single viewing of a single movie (unless it is an authorized double-feature or some such) .

Now, here were MY main reasons for not allowing in outside cr*p. Ever had to deal with empty beer bottles rolling down a concrete floor or breaking while trying to have a good and safe viewing environment? Ever had drunks call out in a movie and have to remove them, sometimes with police assistance? Ever had someone flip a pizza on your $300 upholstered chair and grind it in, just to be spiteful? Ever have to deal with the crinkle of potato chip bags and other noisy candy wrappers that are otherwise banned from theatres? Ever have a room filled with the odor of onions or garlic or worse? Ever try to PICK UP all those dam macadamia nut shells? People who bring in outside food inevitably come to think that since there is other trash from products sold in the theatre lying about, that the theatre is their personal trash can. There are some customers that it PAYS to lose.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
Not illegal, you might get your contraband confiscated, or shown to the door if you are caught. It is a risk I am willing to take. Carry a large purse and put your stuff in it, nobody will be any the wiser.

And for the record, I DO pick up after myself and do not leave behind a mess.

Last edited by SookieStackhouse; 07-31-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
HC, we are not getting into how people abuse the system. I am really against the individuals that get the THEATER food and leave things all over. I really hate it when people disrespect other peoples property. The spilled drinks and gum, the garbage, the deliberate defacement...

Now, aside from that... You say something about crinkley wrappers, but there was always somethnig thathad that at the theater (the smaller Twizzler pak for instance).

As for bringing in a pizza? That is going a little overboard. Although the picinic baskets were cute, that also seemed a bit much. But someone rubbing it into the seat to be spiteful? Waste of $$ AND just plain mean. Then again, you can just use a knife to slash up a seat just the same to be spiteful, and I have not seen metal detectors at theaters as of yet. (knock on wood for both the suggestion AND the remedy).

The key here is simple. The entire industry stinks. Theater tickets here in teh city are over $12 a shot now! And people may site costs and all that, but bottom lin comes down to the cost of the actors in them.

But, so long as people are willing to pay, they will continue to charge what they can get (and post record breaking sales on every new blockbuster).

As for the brew? Yes that is a problem, but no-one here is advocating bringing in glass bottles of anything. And if those are banned, it is much harder to detect a flask of rum being poiured into your theater bought coke, so it is not a 100% deterrent to drunks.

And you think drunks are the only noisy people in a movie? Again, you need to come to the city. Sometimes it can be funny, but most of the time it is a PIT.....tukus.

The question is, what is the solution? How do we get back to where a movie is not the same cost as a dinner in a nice restaurant? How can they compete with Home Theater when they are closing the big old halls to make smaller and smaller unit multiplexes that look almost like, well, home theaters?

What is missing from the Home viewing of things that you get at the movies?

And how can I get a soda for less than $4?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
you can come to the small chain theater by my house ... all showings on sunday before i think 6 are $5 a ticket and you can get 2 large sodas and a large popcorn for an additional $5 ..... $15 for 2 people isn't bad

the AMC AM Cinema is another favorite ..... any weekend showing before noon $5 a ticket and the local theater is really nice .... i'm a sucker who must have popcorn so that adds on a little, but get a smaller portion and then a malt or sandwhich afterwards for lunch

Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
HC, we are not getting into how people abuse the system. I am really against the individuals that get the THEATER food and leave things all over. I really hate it when people disrespect other peoples property. The spilled drinks and gum, the garbage, the deliberate defacement...
You'll rarely find gum in a concession counter case. Spilled drinks? You should have seen it before there were lids for the cups. There really was a time like that. OMG, it was BAD. Stinky, filthy, and slippery. That is one reason why theatres resisted for years allowing ANY food in the auditorium an only sold tiny drinks.

Now, aside from that... You say something about crinkley wrappers, but there was always somethnig that had that at the theater (the smaller Twizzler pak for instance).
Yep. Those are a problem. There are some others as well. Twizzlers (Red Vines for some places) have been just too popular to lop off the list. I remember times when they have been top seller by far.
As for bringing in a pizza? That is going a little overboard. Although the picinic baskets were cute, that also seemed a bit much. But someone rubbing it into the seat to be spiteful? Waste of $$ AND just plain mean. Then again, you can just use a knife to slash up a seat just the same to be spiteful, and I have not seen metal detectors at theaters as of yet. (knock on wood for both the suggestion AND the remedy).
You don't know how many slashed seat covers and backs I've had to replace. I had someone just remind me about damaged screens (slashed and damaged with drinks, spitballs, nacho cheese and magic markers). Replacing even a small one can cost in the high hundreds. Speakers (especially woofers) get stolen too. Wall coverings and drapes. LOL. Expendable as a cherry on the battlefield.

The key here is simple. The entire industry stinks. Theater tickets here in teh city are over $12 a shot now! And people may site costs and all that, but bottom lin comes down to the cost of the actors in them.
The industry DOES have big problems. Be careful about condemning ticket costs though. Theatres get charged a "per cap" - minimum receipt per ticket, by the film company. The upward spiral of price also reflects general inflation. On average, the cost of an evening show at a movie theatre in a mid-size city has pretty constantly remained at the cost of minimum wage. Back when min wage was $2/hr, an evening show was $3.50 to $4 and ran 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you want to talk prices, look at the prices for a baseball or football game, or a live performance. I remember top Broadway shows with good seats at $20. Try that now.
But, so long as people are willing to pay, they will continue to charge what they can get (and post record breaking sales on every new blockbuster).
Of course. But don't take those figures too seriously. Those pre-opening midnight shows used to be accounted with the previous day receipts. Now they go into that opening day gross.
As for the brew? Yes that is a problem, but no-one here is advocating bringing in glass bottles of anything. And if those are banned, it is much harder to detect a flask of rum being poiured into your theater bought coke, so it is not a 100% deterrent to drunks.
Nothing is a complete deterrent. Traffic lights don't stop all intersection accidents either. The key is sending the message so that the ones who DO get drunk or high do so quietly and with less disturbance to others.
And you think drunks are the only noisy people in a movie? Again, you need to come to the city. Sometimes it can be funny, but most of the time it is a PIT.....tukus.
Heh! I ran theatres in major cities. Miami a big enough one for you? How about gunfire in the parking lot and pulled weapons in the auditorium? The ONLY movies I'll even consider attending on opening weekend are comedies and art films. I know how bad the audiences have become.
The question is, what is the solution? How do we get back to where a movie is not the same cost as a dinner in a nice restaurant? How can they compete with Home Theater when they are closing the big old halls to make smaller and smaller unit multiplexes that look almost like, well, home theaters?
The smaller screen size isn't as much an issue now as it once was. I've seen some screens that were about 10' wide. Cost isn't going to go down. The few dollar and bargain theatres left are in unique markets, while the bulk of them found the low income and high vandalism and poor community image was enough to kill the crowds. If anything, the segregated high-roller seats, where there is beer/wine and limited restaurant service is the up and coming thing. The giant barns are just no longer viable. One I worked in burned eight gallons of fuel oil per hour during the winter. 'nuff said.
What is missing from the Home viewing of things that you get at the movies?
The reality is you miss the cellphone freaks, the chatty kids and old ladies, the smells, the damaged cars in the parking lots, and the lack of bathroom breaks where part of the plot isn't missed. You do get to see films "on the break" before you hear from friends what the plot line and outcome are.

And how can I get a soda for less than $4?
Sneak it in. Better yet, skip drinking anything during the movie so you don't miss any of the action. Just remember that the experience at a theatre is about 50% movie, 15% staff and management, 10% physical plant, and 25% audience. When 25% of the experience is beyond the control of the moviemakers and theatres, and that experience goes sour, there is little hope. Reduced revenues just speed the process along.

I did a count once of the number of locations I've worked or was overseer of. EVERY location where I worked, with one exception, is shuttered or demolished or sold. Of the total count, maybe 10% still exist. The lifespan of a new theatre is on average shorter than ten years. Most of the time it is the customers that do it in.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Hard to smuggle drinks, but I often take some water in a plastic bottle to sip. The prices they charge are obscene ! I can get 3 candy bars for a dollar at the 99 cent store. I think it's good to cut the candy out of the wrapper, and place it in saran wrap, then smuggle it in. I always wanted to invent a silent candy wrapper. In summer, just add a little cool ice pack to your tote bag. If you do get caught with your drinks (non alcoholic) tell them you need the electrolytes. If they confiscate it anyhow, then faint. Make 'em nervous.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
OK. I worked as a projectionist, manager, and district manager for many years and even had my own theatre at one point.

Now, here were MY main reasons for not allowing in outside cr*p. Ever had to deal with empty beer bottles rolling down a concrete floor or breaking while trying to have a good and safe viewing environment? Ever had drunks call out in a movie and have to remove them, sometimes with police assistance? Ever had someone flip a pizza on your $300 upholstered chair and grind it in, just to be spiteful? Ever have to deal with the crinkle of potato chip bags and other noisy candy wrappers that are otherwise banned from theatres? Ever have a room filled with the odor of onions or garlic or worse? Ever try to PICK UP all those dam macadamia nut shells? People who bring in outside food inevitably come to think that since there is other trash from products sold in the theatre lying about, that the theatre is their personal trash can. There are some customers that it PAYS to lose.

I bring my own snacks. The JUNK, yes, JUNK, they sell at the movies is disgusting. I don't eat that stuff, so I bring my own healthy things, like airpopped popcorn and grapes. And I throw out my trash.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
And you still bring them to movies?

(your phraseology implied that..... )
Yes - I bring them to the movies. My 25 year old rides his motorcycle over to my house and we all pile into the car and go to the movies. The 15 year old still lives at home with me and my husband. We stop by the local AM/PM on our way to the theater and get our goodies and I stuff everybody's stash into my purse and coat pockets.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Ever since I got a bucket of burned popcorn (yuck!), I bring my own if we go (which is seldom).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products