Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

My parents bought their Duet set back in 2003 and they are still going strong. Not sure why a front load unit is a problem, they have had front load units for years in laundry facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,133 times
I have had my set for 7 yrs now....After an initial mother board change on the dryer, a new washer door gasket due to a leak in the 2cnd year, a new washtub, bearings and paddles in the last year, and a new pump/filter in the last month, my DRYER caught FIRE last week. Awesome. Everything but the pump/filter and flaming dryer were under warranty..... Slightly disappointed for the amount of money I have into them, that they are not BETTER products.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I haven't had any problems with mine, got it about 4 years ago. Keep in mind that people complain more than they praise. If even there were 1000 bad reviews, that is a small percentage of how many people bought the thing and had no issues.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,017 times
we bougth all top of the line whirlpool and kitchen aid had nothing but trouble from day 1 kitchen aid dishwasher had to replace the whole inside twice before i could even use it then the cooktop board 2months later then 3years in the washer front load duet kept putting out out a code for water inlet problem replaced hoses like it said nothing worked every few loads it would do this it's driving me crazy they said unplug wait more than 10 min. not more than 15 min. to reset the brain did this for few years quit often then that would'nt work all the time did little more research they said jiggle the arness wires under the top of the washer this worked well for about a year kids in college travel to see a son in army not enough money to fix all the problems i have had with these pieces of crap in the mist of all the washer problems my frig. went out it was thank god just a $80.00 service call and a $15.00 relay part now it's only 2011 and my stupid wash is shooting another code for drain problem and no i don't have a drain problem it will not spin out it will not open my clothes are stuck in the washer can't get it to do anything but come on make a noise put a little water in have to unplug it to get it to go off then the next clothes still stuck try a load just to see if it would spin out so it would open it did got the clothes out thought well would try a load with nothing in it well it worked fine bit that was'nt all put my clothes in the dryer now it won't even light up to come on checked the breakers no they are fine checked the fuses no they are fine i am pulling my hair out husband got home pulled them both out threw them in the garage said this is enough we must have lemons but can not believe it would be everything we bought but the microwave oh for got to tell you my dishwasher does'nt work at all now for about the last 2 years i am so done with any thing to do with whirlpool!!!! i'm so sick of this i have
called whirlpool so many times they don't care would never buy any thing with out extended warranty ever again. that was my biggest mistake who would have ever thought if you get to buy the top of the line things you would need it so soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 31,971 times
I have a whirlpool front-load machine - loved it at first. Warranty work on the liner left my family without a washer for a month and a half. Just after the year warranty ran out, the spin cycle started getting louder and louder. A service person charged me $75 to diagnose bad bearings: $500. Whirlpool has done nothing but transfer me from service rep to service rep with the same answer: There is nothing they can do to help. There should be some provision for major components. 14 months old and I need to buy a new machine. Whirlpool has lost my, and my families business for life.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,678 times
We bought a whirlpool duet washer & dryer early in 2007. We used it for about 8 months and then moved and didn't use it for about 2 years. Early in the fall, the motor went on the washer and since it was going to cost $400 with no guarantee on the replacement motor, we scrapped the duet washer - after only about 2-1/2 years of use - and bought a standard top-load that cost $418.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,664 times
Default top loading kenmore washing machine

my ten cents worth... pros: easier to load, possible to stack a full-sized unit to take up less space, spins clothes really well so they dry better and quicker,greener and uses WAY less soap (but soap is more expensive for HE washers)
cons: has put holes in every single shirt in my entire family, virtually unusable for washing socks as they always get stuck especially kid or baby socks, any change left in pockets will require a repair call, most not be overloaded (and almost ipossible NOT to overload), have gone through 2 full-sized Kenmore washing machines in the last five years, thankfully both were covered by my home warranty company (the one positive thing I can say about AHS). Talked to sears repair man today and he said they had ALOT of problems, however even top-loader machines in his opinion were not made and his recommendation ot me was to buy an older machine if I could from someone just upgrading...if I couldnt do that he said next best idea was to buy one from Costco as their customer service policy lets u bring them back if u have any problems for a very long time (years...)

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I have had my whirlpool duet washer and dryer since 8/2004.
Have not had one problem/service call. I love them.Great capacity. The one thing I do is after a wash is to leave the door slightly ajar to let it dry and avoid any odors.
I also recall having to do this with my top loader.
This mimics our experience totally.
We have not had any problems at all.
We keep the door and the dispenser slightly ajar, which is always good practice so any moisture inside evaporates.
We got the first models the year they came on the market from a local appliance store.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You have to take customer reviews with a grain of salt. In fact many may not even be customers in these days.If you sold a million anything their would be some that didn't like or had trouble with anything.Some that for whatever reason will write a bad review on things they don't own. Not many will search for a site to compliment a product.
Sure. Competitors sometimes go on line and give products bad reviews. We sometimes read Consumer's Digest, but some of their reviews are way off mark from our experience. I don't think they are dishonest, so I don't know what the problem is there.

We stick with reputable brands and do not buy the cheapest things from certain retailers. I remember a certain electronics seller who undercut everyone's price by repairing returned goods and selling them as first inventory. I tend to think that when there is one doing that, there are probably others.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

As for the comments on the site, you have to take them with a grain of salt. Unlike places like Newegg, people are not prompted to give a review 3/6/12 months after purchase. You usually ony get the reviews from the people who are angry about the machine.

If you see a BUNCH of comments, all given in a short period of time, that may indicate a problem, but if you only see one comment per month, I am sure that MANY units were sold in that period. Take a look at other models and see what their comments have, if they have more or less complaints, what frequency do the people complain, and LOOK AT THEIR NAMES. You would be surprised at how many washers some people own!!
Good points here. I also had noticed, with one product, that the complaints were all around the same dates. I think the manufacturer may have addressed the problems because the later posts were all positive.

However, we got the early Duets and had no problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products