Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me in the least.

So what if they are talking about me in Spanish? Is it going to affect me in any way if someone says something rude in a language I can't understand? No.

As long as the cashier and I understand each other enough to make the transaction efficiently, I don't care whether they're an English major or someone who just got off a raft from Cuba. The language barrier only matters when it inconveniences me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Don't ever get your mani-pedi in one of those strip-mall nail salons then either. Same creepy feeling

Remember on Seinfeld when Elaine went into the nail shop with George's father who just happened to speak Korean and found out what the girls had been saying about her all along?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
So what if they are talking about me in Spanish? Is it going to affect me in any way if someone says something rude in a language I can't understand? No. As long as the cashier and I understand each other enough to make the transaction efficiently, I don't care whether they're an English major or someone who just got off a raft from Cuba. The language barrier only matters when it inconveniences me.

I agree with pcity. That said, I live in Phoenix. We have a lot of Spanish speakers here. I am Caucasian, but I am fluent in Spanish. Of course a native speaker could most likely tell it wasn't my primary language because some of the intonations and inflections would be obviously English-ized because I have serious issues with properly trilling the R's in Spanish recalling horror stories of one of my Spanish teachers spitting when she did it lol, but I could hold my own in a conversation.

If they approach me in Spanish, I respond in Spanish. If they approach me in English, I respond in English. If I initiate the conversation, it is in English. If they get a really quizzical look on their face that they do not understand, I ask them in Spanish if they speak English-and proceed accordingly. Doesn't bother me in the least. As long as we can communicate to do whatever it is needs to be done.

I find different cultures fascinating. And isn't that supposed to be one of the great things about the US that we are a "melting pot"?

That said, and this is in NO WAY intended as a racial "put down", just a cultural observation. But I originally lived in Cleveland. Hearing many of the black folks (which there are surprisingly few of here in Phoenix) and of course the white folks pretending to be black speak in whatever you call the "street" language of "yo" and "dis" and all that mumbo jumbo was far far more annoying than hearing anyone speak Spanish. I never knew English could be butchered so badly-it sounded more like a foreign language than Spanish does.

PS People say plenty of rude things in English too lol!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
What I hate is when the cashier at the checkstand I'm in line at, and the two cashiers on either side of me, and all the customers being waited on are ALL speaking spanish. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and wonder, "What the hell happened to my country?"
learn spanish you lazy ba..........................

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
No. Maybe you should learn some Spanish so you won't get so uncomfortable. There are plenty of people who feel more comfortable speaking in their native language. That's fine. If you don't like it, leave their business.
I would tell you what to do with your opinion, but I would probably get censored by the PC police, so I won"t.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I dont get mad when people speak in Spanish, that is their language and if they wanna speak it then let them, I do get mad though when they expect you to speak some Spanish cause you have a Spanish last name. They are in America.

I also dont get mad when I hear Asians speaking their language or Native Americans speaking theirs. They can do as they want. If I went to Japan to live, I would speak English to my fellow Americans.

there was this one time in Phoenix that made me mad, our waiter kept talking to us in Spanish, he could tell we didnt know it when we wouldnt respond, but I guess he thought it was funny cause he kept on ,untill his manager told him to knock it off.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish? It's bad enough when customers begin jibber-jabbering in non-English, but when a store employee is the one who starts it all, that's really pushing it for me.
Yes. Here is pretty common.

There is an asian buffet about 10 min from here and even the owner (asian too) offers "agua" and other things. Sonic, about 5 min from here, has a pakistani manager certain days and he tries to speak in spanish too.

I can't understand people living in a country for years and not learning the language. I guess I can understand people visiting and not being able to communicate in english, but why if you are ordering in english are these people answering in spanish. Am I in the US or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
If, on the other hand, someone is using another language in an attempt to be helpful and friendly? I have no problem with that.
Yes but that's completely different. I guess the OP is talking about people trying to impose the foreign language.

IMHO, it's not about knowing another language or being against another culture at all. It's about facing rude people.

Last edited by DFWgal; 09-20-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Perhaps the next time I hear a cashier speaking in Spanish, I'll try paying with pesos.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I live in a highly Latino populated area in an already highly Latino populated city. The other day I actually DID have a grocery store clerk tell me the cost of my groceries in Spanish. She just wasn't paying attention and most of the people in there can speak both Spanish and English fluently.

Truth is, there are a whole lot of shoppers out there who do not speak English. I don't mind this at all. There are clerks who speak both. I don't mind this at all either. My youngest son not being able to get a job because he isn't bilingual....now that one does bother me!

I have days where I get a little annoyed, and then I remind myself that letting it annoy me isn't going to change the way things are.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Perhaps the next time I hear a cashier speaking in Spanish, I'll try paying with pesos.
I usually just speak back in German or French. Then when they ask me something in English, I just look at them confused. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products