Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

I really like "Domain" - http://www.domain-home.com/ (broken link)

Expensive, I don't own anything from there , but really the style and quality. Not sure if there are any near you however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
What about estate sales? You can get some incredible pieces of furniture at these things dirt cheap.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Roche-Bobois (www.roche-bobois.com) comes to mind.

Design Within Reach (www.dwr.com) - several design studios throughout the US.

High Fashion Home (www.highfashionhome.com) - they are in Houston...I LOVED their furniture and fabrics and accessories! Wish we had this resource in San Diego!

Hancock & Moore (www.hancockandmoore.com) - quality leather couches

I'd check Architectural Digest and other like publications that will give you several resources for unique, upscale furnishings.

Have fun!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM

40 posts, read 124,497 times
Along the same lines as the previous response, if you are after high-end European modernist style, here in Chicago we have Luminaire http://www.luminaire.com

Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Depnds on what style you're looking for, I like the Mission style Stickley furniture.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
You can always tell a quality piece of furniture from your run of the mill types and I would LOVE to have some of those - one day. I do like Carl's, Baers, Ethan Allen (we have them in Miami) but I end up with City Furniture most of the time. My family room and living room are microfiber and I don't think they cost more than $1200 each. Why? I have to replace them every so often. P E T S. I have what was a nice bedroom set, until the dogs started climbing on it to look out the window.

Last year I lost my mind and bought a really nice, modern dining room set. Wayyyyyyyyy too expensive. Solid wood and glass table top and the server. Kitties have managed to scratch the top of all the chairs, so I have a new design that most people probably don't have and wouldn't envy! :-(

Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 PM

168 posts, read 907,898 times
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm having fun looking. Still trying to decide what "style" I like. So many to choose from.

Just one example: I liked "The Lodge" pieces at Drexel Heritage. Love the idea of my home looking like a mountain lodge. Was disappointed though that they don't have very many pieces in this collection.

I love the idea of going to estate sales, but I work full-time and don't know if I could find the time to do that unless they are on the weekend.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
I'm not sure what part of the country you live in or what style of furniture you like but here are a couple that make fine quality furniture;

http://www.trosbyfurniture.com/catalog/ (broken link)

http://http://www.kohlerinteriors.com/baker/1_0_0_baker_home.jsp (broken link)

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm having fun looking. Still trying to decide what "style" I like. So many to choose from.

Just one example: I liked "The Lodge" pieces at Drexel Heritage. Love the idea of my home looking like a mountain lodge. Was disappointed though that they don't have very many pieces in this collection.

I love the idea of going to estate sales, but I work full-time and don't know if I could find the time to do that unless they are on the weekend.
I was taught with regards to furniture you will live with.
buy the best you can afford. I do like thomasville. in 1967 I bought my first bedroom set, and had no clue about what I was buying? I would go to department stores, and look at sets and then come home and ask my mther. She would say you get what you pay for. at 23 this made no sense to me.
Finally, she took me to a good furniture store and I bought this bedroom set
5 times the price of others I had looked at. now it is 2007, and I still have this bedroom and still love it. I tend to keep furniture for along time. I guess
this time I did get what I paid for. However when people move, you sometimes can get great prices. Another thing I was told, if a furniture store has a wharehouse you might also get a good price, or if something has a scratch etc. furniture will get scatched anyway. I also have a thomasville oak wall to wall unit which is now almost 20 years old and still looks great.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
In the past I have always bought inexpensive furniture, but I would like to purchase some more upscale furniture. I would like to look at some furniture on the internet, but don't know where to go. I am aware of Thomasville, but that's about it.

It really doesn't have to be expensive, but what I'm really interested in is unique furniture. Maybe European-style designs or period reproductions. Any suggestions of company names or websites?
I guess I should preclude this with the statement I am an interior designer

What happens alot of times is that people are fickle
they like something today 3 yrs down the road they don't like it anymore ...tastes change...bored with it

so my advise to you is to NOT look at the price tag
Some of my best purchases came from places like IKEA...Pier1... Antique shops
Just spend the day going shopping with the intent NOT TO BUY

and really hit the antique marts and consignment stores
you will find alot of different things that have been well maintained for a fraction of the price. It may well be that someone elses trash is your treasure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products