Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO (Reuters) - So, this guy walked into a grocery store ... and got completely overwhelmed.

U.S. men are doing more and more grocery shopping, both for themselves and their families, but retailers are still not doing much to make the trip any more enticing, retail consultants and industry experts said.

"Men do represent a large part of grocery shopping dollars and they aren't being very well accommodated ... sales are being lost," Mandy Putnam, vice president at consulting firm TNS Retail Forward said.

Help! Grocery store still overwhelming to men - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I hate shopping, on my own and with the wife. I cant stand the atmosphere and the lack of "this is what you want" geared towards men, drives me nuts.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,570 times
My husband does all the grocery shopping; he is much better at sticking to the things on the list than I am (thus spending less $$ overall). I despise going grocery shopping, so I am more than happy to leave it up to him.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
I knew this would be here in thread form. Thank you! I don't feel very accommodated at my grocery either. Not coincidentally, grocery time is the ONLY time I suffer from ADD. Consequently, I have to make several trips each week because I can hardly stand to stay in long enough to get the absolute necessities.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I've been grocery shopping since I was 17 or 18. I now every isle in every grocery for miles around. It drives me nuts when they change a store around and I have to memorize things all over. I also know which brands are best quality, which I can save money on, and where to get the best meats. And most of the time...I even return the cart to it's proper docking facility! Grocery shopping rocks!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 AM

536 posts, read 1,193,466 times
i hate grocery shopping.. so does my wife, thats why we have our groceries delivered to us.. we shop online (peapod) at stop n shop.its great

Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
I wouldn't say any of those situations applied to me.

I KNOW how to shop. I just hate grocery shopping. But I don't feel overwhelmed in a grocery store. More than anything, I get frustrated when the item I want is discontinued (supposedly because "nobody was buying it". Well, HELLLLLLOOOOOO - I guess I'm nobody, because I bought it. Anyway, I digress.) It also p's me off when an item is out of stock, and they try to put something else in it's place on the shelf in order to make the shelves look full.

As for shopping in general, guys just want to get in, get what they want, and get out. It's not supposed to be a social affair.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
John: The timing of your post could not have been better, and it warms my heart...My college aged son just phoned me. (He is working on campus for the summer in NYC) As he just moved into an off-campus apartment, he now has to do grocery shopping for himself for the first time in his 20 years of life... Essentially, he phoned me, (Mom) to express his angst at "learning" the "layout" of a grocery store!!! After buying a ton of groceries, he got them back to his apartment, was starving, and went to cook himself his first meal, only to realize that he did not have any utensils! The poor kid had to eat using his hands....Oh, how pitiful. I should be ashamed of myself for chuckling as I type this...So yes, I can relate to your post! It made my day!

Take gentle care!

P.S. As well, in terms of men and grocery shopping, he mentioned that it took him an hour to open a can of creamed corn by wedging in his desk drawer and using a pair of nail clippers to open the can....I am mailing him a can opener tomorrow...

Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
accommodating for men?? a hooters grocery store??
topless cashiers?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 PM

536 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
accommodating for men?? a hooters grocery store??
topless cashiers?
in that case i would drop my delivery service and love grocery shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products