Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,203 times

Advertisements

Have you tried the electronic cig yet ? that's inexpensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Most people i know who still smoke seem to be getting cheap cigarettes from Indian reservations.

Rolling your own is another way to save money..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most people i know who still smoke seem to be getting cheap cigarettes from Indian reservations.

Rolling your own is another way to save money..
Here in CANADA we do the same thing...but the Indian or native smokes are horrible and make you sick...Government smokes are approaching 10 bucks a pack.

The government got so concerned about the loss of tax revenue through counterfeit smokes that a couple of years ago they started to quietly compete with native tobacco merchants...They brought a brand that is quality controlled and they sell them for about 5 bucks...They do this hypocritical thing that increasing the price of cigarettes will get the poor off the nasty habit- Yet...they introduce cheap ones on the sly..go figure.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I switched to ecigs when that moron obama signed SCHIP. I still occasionally have a real cig; when I do, I smoke Clipper Cherry. They are called cigars, but only because they're in brown paper instead of white. Locally, they are $15/carton. Online, around $10, with free shipping if your order is $150. I've never bought them online. Clippers come in several flavors, including just plain tobacco as well as menthol.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,177 times
yes cigarettes are super cheap on the rez! I used t pay 10 A CARTON in newtown nd, and 18 a carton in holton ks

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
First of all- I don't smoke. To each his own I say.
I am trying to help someone find a place to buy cigarettes relatively inexpensive. I was asked (repeatdly) to look into this for them so I told them I would check the internet with my favorite website; City Data.

This thread is not to start any smoking debates, so please reply only if you have a thrifty way to purchase cigarettes.

Long story short, these are for a few Senior Citizens on a fixed income. There is no chance in hell that they will quit smoking. I can't force them and I don't want to make them miserable in their last years of life. Over the age of 70 and stubborn as a mules, after many arguments, I say give them what they want & let them be happy. Also, I am not looking to make any profit. I don't need to.

So, I heard a rumor that there is an Indian Reservation that sells cartons cheap. Is this legal? Is it a rumor? I don't want to break the law.
Just thought I'd ask, asking can't hurt.
If you are a smoker (NJ) , where do you get your carton of cigarettes?

Feel free to PM me if you have info.
thanks

try an indian reservation. the ones near us dont have to pay any state or federal taxes on them at all. my ex used to buy her smokes there for $22 a carton.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
I think it depends. My BF brought a carton of Newports 100s on the Seminole Reservation in Hollywood, FL for $54.00. On our way driving up to PA, we stopped in North Carolina and noticed that they were only $43.00 there. We were both floored. We thought that the Indians would have them cheaper than anybody....but apparently not.

Oh and here in PA, they are like $63.00 a carton.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
VA and NC are cheaper than most places, lower taxes and they grow tobacco.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM

108 posts, read 174,326 times
Making your own is the way to go these days. There are very few federal/state taxes on loose pipe tobacco because the politicians are afraid that older pipe smokers will object and vote them out of office. Since there is no real agreed upon definition of the difference between pipe and cigarette tobacco, most companies that sell loose tobacco just advertise it as pipe tobacco and sell it for a non-tax-inflated price. Tubes and cigarette machines are cheap, so it ends up being a significant savings.

If you buy in bulk online the price can get down to about $1 a pack.

For example:

Golden Harvest Robust pipe tobacco - Can be as low as $10 per pound (one lb makes about 2 and a half cartons)
Tubes - $2.50 per carton
EXP 1000 cigarette machine (I've found this one works best even though it looks cheap) - $15

Most places online offer free shipping on orders above a certain amount, which removes that drawback. As I smoke about a pack a day, my costs for a year are as follows:

37 cartons per year = 15 pounds of tobacco = $150
37 cartons of tubes = $93
1 EXP 1000 = $15
Total cost = about $260 (probably actually a bit more, but not more than $350)

Cost if bought in a store at $4.50 per pack = $1,642.50

They may eventually try to find a way to increase the tax on pipe tobacco or stop its transport, but loose tobacco companies will just find another way around it (such as buying one huge cigar containing 1 lb of loose tobacco that can be broken open). Trying to stop that would **** off the upper class cigar smoker, which politicians would also be loathe to do. Plus, if they ever do really find a way to stop it all and force smokers to actually pay the exorbitant taxes they feel we should pay, a much larger black market will just spring up and we'll just buy smokes under the counter.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
First of all- I don't smoke. To each his own I say.
I am trying to help someone find a place to buy cigarettes relatively inexpensive. I was asked (repeatdly) to look into this for them so I told them I would check the internet with my favorite website; City Data.

This thread is not to start any smoking debates, so please reply only if you have a thrifty way to purchase cigarettes.

Long story short, these are for a few Senior Citizens on a fixed income. There is no chance in hell that they will quit smoking. I can't force them and I don't want to make them miserable in their last years of life. Over the age of 70 and stubborn as a mules, after many arguments, I say give them what they want & let them be happy. Also, I am not looking to make any profit. I don't need to.

So, I heard a rumor that there is an Indian Reservation that sells cartons cheap. Is this legal? Is it a rumor? I don't want to break the law.
Just thought I'd ask, asking can't hurt.
If you are a smoker (NJ) , where do you get your carton of cigarettes?

Feel free to PM me if you have info.
thanks
Since this bill was introduced, I no longer can purchase my stogies on the internet.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-11...111publ154.pdf

I'll DM you with some other 411 I found doing a internet search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products