Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times

Advertisements

I do not go to WalMart, Walgreens, Sam's Club, or anything Walton-owned. That being said, this type of discourteous attitute exists everywhere, not just at WalMart. I was at the grocery store yesterday and was patiently waiting to grab a certain type of frozen yogurt. In the frozen section stood a woman who was talking on her cell phone and rattling off the flavors and brands of ice cream with the freezer door held open. I stood behind her and waited patiently. After 5 minutes, she told the person on the other line to forget it, and closed the door and stepped away. I approached the freezer, opened the door, grabbed my selection at which point I felt the door being pulled open from my hands and was nearly pushed out of the way as she reached in and grabbed what she wanted. I gave her a dirty look, and continued on my way. This type of stuff happens everywhere. Target, grocery stores, malls, etc. Gone are the days of common courtesy unfortunately. However, I try to look for the positive in everything. While checking out a heavily pregnant woman was treated so tenderly by the workers who helped her unload almost her whole entire cart and then helped her to her car and unloaded everything into her car for her. She never even asked for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 02:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Do you live your entire life this regimented? Why not just take it a little bit further: Take two steps forward into the checkout aisle. Adjust purse. Open zipper. Take out wallet. Remove credit card. Hold the credit card with your index finger and thumb.

I mean really. That whole checkout lane diatribe is just over the top. Yes there are annoying people. List and rule people are just as annoying as the oblivious people. Being different is part of what makes life vibrant and worth living.

And disabled people don't all use walkers or canes or wheelchairs. That person you are honking at just may be one of those people.
I agree! Not all disabilities are obvious.......

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Wow.
Might be time to think about hiring a personal shopper.
I mean, I understand the complaints in the original post but these are things that aren't exclusive to Walmart. I try to just chalk 'em up as small stuff not worth sweating and then I carry on with my life.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
Paragraphs make things so much easier to read, dont you agree?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:34 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I do not go to WalMart, Walgreens, Sam's Club, or anything Walton-owned.
Walgreens is not owned by Walton.

Walgreens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Our local Walmart is located in a majority black area riddled with crime. The culture there is horrible.
I have an idea, can we as Americans stop using race as a definer? Why not say poor area or maybe just an area riddled with crime? Because as we all know the behaviors you have described, and probably described accurately are symptoms of what I'll term "new style" poverty not race.

You know what I mean. I've seen these folks in all colors. Influenced by reality TV, living their lives loudly and publicly. Concern only for themselves and their "group", shall we say.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Our Walmart is new and so far, so good. We live in a nice area but annoying people are everywhere.
We own a few small rentals in town and I can tell you from experience that troublemakers come in every color as do good people.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
These are great tips...but to me Walmart and etiquette is almost an oxymoron.
exactly my thoughts LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I stopped shopping at Walmart a few months ago to save money and to save my sanity.
did u find better deals somewhere else?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm no longer in the Army, so I no longer follow orders....... and I haven't been to a wally world in over a year...
I took the OP as simply a reminder of using good common sense.

Did you abandon that on the day you got discharged ?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
DFWgal, I don't know if your question about finding deals is a real question or not. I'm not computer savvy so it's hard for me to tell when someone is joking.
Walmart is known for their low prices. I used to shop their because I thought that, too.

But I was always broke, living paycheck to paycheck...until I started finding that they weren't cheaper. So to answer your question, yes- other stores are cheaper, for me, than Walmart. I haven't step foot back in that store in months. Not only have I saved money....used to be zero or overdrafted by now...I have a few hundred in my checking.
But I've lost a few pounds by not eating all that cheap, processed, boxed foods.

I found that Walmart carried a few products...and filled the shelves with them. Cheaper, yes as in lower quality...packed with more calories.
I eat more veggies, cook at home more and don't open pre-packaged foods like I used to.

Walmart around here is in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products