Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

This morning I feel for it! Good Morning America starting up their morning stories and a segment caught my attention...Secrets of Americas Favorite Stores. Today was Costco. Go behind the scenes at the number one wholesale buying club in the US.

Well, I watched it eager to learn something...some good behind the scenes tip...perhaps find a way to save a buck.

Nope, it was nothing more than a commercial for Costco.
Prices low because they have concrete floors, they only have a few select items, have bulk...

didn't we already know this?

Then of course they closed by saying paying the $50 yearly is so worth it.

Yeah, right! I pay no one to shop at their store.
Now, on their defense, GMA never said this was an investigative piece...I was just hoping it was. And we all know that it's so common these days to have commercials, product placement, and ads for other tv shows inside other tv shows....common practice.

But I was really hoping to learn something like when another tv show host said that a secret was if the shelf price ended in x or x it was discounted more than normal- since the store doesn't run advertised sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
If you don't belong and apparently never care to ("Yeah, right! I pay no one to shop at their store.") then why would knowing if the shelf price ended in x or x be of interest to you anyway?

It sounds like you were watching to get some "dirt" and were disappointed.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I have next to zero complaints about Costco. My mom seems to believe they are China-owned and she, therefore, will not join. I've never heard this, but I really check labels and find lots of non-China made products there.

I think my biggest complaints are that they are so busy all the time and also that I have to pay cash for my hot dog and soda.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I have next to zero complaints about Costco. My mom seems to believe they are China-owned and she, therefore, will not join. I've never heard this, but I really check labels and find lots of non-China made products there.

I think my biggest complaints are that they are so busy all the time and also that I have to pay cash for my hot dog and soda.
Nope they are not owned by China:

snopes.com: Costco and China

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The real buy at times in these such as costco or sam's is noramlly not carried item that they buy on one time offers. Mnay are large buys of existing stock by manufaturers in such things as last eyar model aplioances.I picked up a TV set like that for my bedroom ten years ago at Sams. Its was 200 dollars under any price i could find on a major brand. I just happened to be with a relative who shops there often.Other prices I knew where actually higher than my local walmart.You need to know prices that is for sure.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Suffce to say: Costco is very 'dangerous' to me and my wallet----------need I say more?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I agree with you Tex and have to add another negative to my very small list. I've found both a tea mix and organic oatmeal that I absolutely love there and from one week to the next, it can just be gone. Both have made sudden comebacks but then disappeared again.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Agree - you should know your prices wherever you shop. There are definitely some things that are better bought elsewhere. You can spend a lot there if you are not disciplined.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Costco is one of the few stores that I have absolutely not one complaint about . It is really a very enjoyable place to shop and their customer service is wonderful.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Yeah, right! I pay no one to shop at their store.

So you don't ever actually buy anything? Hahahahahhaha....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products