Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,217,906 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ever actually been impressed by the alleged low prices at Staples? I recently purchased a can of compressed air and I did not feel motivated in any manner to proclaim, "WOW, THAT'S A LOW PRICE!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 AM

312 posts, read 865,302 times
LOL- Yeah, I know what you mean. I only go there for things that I cannot get elsewhere like Walmart, Target etc. I bought a desk and chair there a couple of years ago- it was great, exactly what I wanted. Got it on sale there at Staples for 1/3 off and it was a fantastic deal! But, for other things like you mentioned.... not so much.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,209,803 times
WOW, THAT'S A LOW PRICE!!!"

That is one of the few things on television that I always mute. I absolutely hate that commercial .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,495,277 times
We owned a fairly large company (at times, up to 250 employees), and did quite a bit of business with Staples over the last decade. I watched for sales whenever I could (especially on puter paper, which has SKYROCKETED over the last year or so), and because I did order several thousand dollars a year of 'stuff', I am a platinum member (or something like that), and got discounts where the general public wouldn't...shipping was (and still is), always free and the 'stuff' arrived the next day, too, so that was always a plus. HOWEVER, these discounts did NOT prohibit me from picking up items at Wally World if I knew they were/are cheaper there...(paper clips are definitely cheaper at Wally and you don't have to buy 3 trillion of them in order to get a better deal)....I'm a bargain shopper.....

Sometimes you have to buy 2-3 of the same item in order to get a good price.....and sometimes they have to be the same color, etc., so I think that's a rip off.....(i.e.: heck, I might want to buy 3 packs of Sharpies, but I don't want them all to be red, etc).

Staples, being a big supply house, most likely has what one needs when other places don't and that's why I use/used them a lot.....such as a Xerox drum.... With certain items, such as the drum, it's not as if you can compare it to other places because they simply don't carry it..... Office Depot is their biggest competitor.....

I do wish stores would give a better discount on items at the time of purchase......I get so tired of carrying around rebate checks, etc...(and all these tiny key fobs drive me nuts and leave no room for my keys)..... They only do this so that you'll 'reinvest' in their companies the next time you visit....

And don't get me started on all the little freebies that they included with my orders over the years..(and of course, I had to spend, say, $99.00 in order to get a freebie and my bill would only total $97.00 after placing the order for the NEEDED items, but I would waste more time looking online for something-or-other-cheap-item that we really didn't need, but I might as well order so that I could get the freebie item, which is, of course, what they wanted me to do)....I gave most of the items to our employees....I'd much rather have a buck or two off on the complete order than to have another plastic container for whatever.....

And who in their right mind would waste money on the red 'that was easy' button? They sell them like hotcakes in my local Staples.....

Recycling: What I do like is that you can turn in used ink cartridges and get a $3.00 credit per.....(issued in a rebate check a month or so later).... Of course, you turn around and buy another one, but that's life......

So is Staples a great deal? Na....for me, it's just one-stop shopping for the most part....... In the end, you get the rebate check, so it's just as cheap as a lot of other places....but why we have to go through all this stress with these businesses in order to save a buck is beyond me.....

They even have good sales every once in awhile on Sunday mornings from 8:00 - 10:00......and they have great back-to-school sales, so I stock up on stuff at that time, too..... One just has to know prices and try to get the best deal....

Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM

202 posts, read 482,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Has anybody ever actually been impressed by the alleged low prices at Staples?
Nope, absolutely not. I only go to Staples when I need something that only they will have. (As opposed to other stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc).

Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,926,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
Nope, absolutely not. I only go to Staples when I need something that only they will have. (As opposed to other stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc).
Same here! I bet I don't go into a Staples more than once a year and that will only be if I need a specialized item. (Chances are I will even end up finding that somewhere else cheaper!!)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,163,758 times
I go the the 99 Cents Only and Dollar Tree stores first when I'm looking for office supplies. If they don't have what I need, I'll go to Wally's. Target doesn't have much of a selection. I never go into a Staples, but will go to an Office Depot on occasion.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,274,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
WOW, THAT'S A LOW PRICE!!!"

That is one of the few things on television that I always mute. I absolutely hate that commercial .
I've recently decided that if a company insists on loud and obnoxious advertisements, I will no longer buy that product. Beggin' Strips dog treats is another one that comes to mind.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,605,317 times
Compared to OfficeDepot or OfficeMax, yes their prices are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products