Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times

Advertisements

For the past few years, I have been searching in vain for a pair of comfortable, good quality black leather walking shoes. They need to be leather, black, not obviously dressy (such as wing-tips) but something that can pass for dress shoes if need be. Having arch support is a big plus. Something akin to the kinds of black leather shoes policemen or waiters wear is ideal. But most important is that they need to be really durable, as I walk a ton -- would like them to last at least 2 years, preferably more.

For many years, I bought the same style of Carolina brand shoes, but since they moved production to Asia, the quality has suffered badly. They would last me ca. 2-3 years before finally wearing out. Since then, I have bought shoes by several other companies made in the US and Germany that were supposed to fill the bill, but I've been unable to find anything that lasts more than 2 to 6 months. I've experienced everything from wear-through spots (inside or outside) to cracked soles to splits in the upper part of the shoe from "pleather" type material.

I don't mind spending a decent amount of money if the shoe will last me a long time.

Can anyone please suggest something being made nowadays that fits this description? I'm becoming very irritated and frustrated with the garbage I'm encountering these days in stores.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
Have you tried Doc Martins? My chiropractor says they save her feet and are durable.

What about Rockport shoes? I know they used to be good but don't know much about them now...

Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
I also recommend New Balance shoes, they have served me well over the years. I think New Balance and Rockport are part of the same company.

I generally order my shoes from these guys.

New Balance Shoes | Brown's Catalog

Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I haven't worn anything but SAS for 10 years. I'm rough on shoes and have some physical problems that show when I walk a lot. The problems are lessened when I wear SAS. I also only wear SAS socks for the same reason. Good thick soles last a long time.

Not cheap. They have a sale once or twice a year.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM

99 posts, read 322,843 times
Default good walking shoe

try propet, it's online, i worked in a shoe store for 3 years, and a lot of men liked this shoe. goodluck

Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Hope some of these help out. Skechers, makes some, i know are comfortable. So does ReeBok has a shoe called REEBOK RUNTONE, very confortable shoe. So does Shape Ups. Easy Spirit has tons of comfortable shoes, as does New Balance.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
New Balance
Rockport.

I used to swear by Dexters but since they have been outsourced to Italy and China, the quality of the product has deteriorated and they wear out in a month or two.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Try some out.. some brands fit better then others.. and typically if you are walking a lot you should be replacing your shoes every 6 months. make sure they are WALKING shoes and not running, cross training, tennis shoes..
I have a pair for walking and a pair for cross training and a pair for running. Go to a REAL athletic/shoe store and talk to the staff there. We have a store here you can go in and they can help you select the perfect shoe based on your walking/running pattern.. they have you use a tread mill and then go from there.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
For the past few years, I have been searching in vain for a pair of comfortable, good quality black leather walking shoes. They need to be leather, black, not obviously dressy (such as wing-tips) but something that can pass for dress shoes if need be. Having arch support is a big plus. Something akin to the kinds of black leather shoes policemen or waiters wear is ideal. But most important is that they need to be really durable, as I walk a ton -- would like them to last at least 2 years, preferably more.

For many years, I bought the same style of Carolina brand shoes, but since they moved production to Asia, the quality has suffered badly. They would last me ca. 2-3 years before finally wearing out. Since then, I have bought shoes by several other companies made in the US and Germany that were supposed to fill the bill, but I've been unable to find anything that lasts more than 2 to 6 months. I've experienced everything from wear-through spots (inside or outside) to cracked soles to splits in the upper part of the shoe from "pleather" type material.

I don't mind spending a decent amount of money if the shoe will last me a long time.

Can anyone please suggest something being made nowadays that fits this description? I'm becoming very irritated and frustrated with the garbage I'm encountering these days in stores.

Many thanks.
Consider both Mason shoes and Redwing shoes/boots. Good durable old fashioned shoes like grandpa would wear.

Men's and Women's brand name shoes available at BAMason.com (Work America brand line)

Red Wing Shoes

Both will serve you well.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Most of the dressier type shoes that police wear are actually made for the military.I forget the name but they are only sold at really good shoe stores and not really cheap. You might ask the police in your area> i knpw i bought a pair several times at a men's show store and they said that was why they carried them;for police officers in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products