Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM

70 posts, read 104,150 times

Advertisements

When I shop, I just want to be in my own private happy space and be left alone unless I need assistance. I enjoy spending a long time in a major bookstore browsing through all the bargain book tables and making my own selections. We do have a Barnes and Nobles where one floor clerk might pop by to ask if I need anything and then leaves me alone. If I'm in a relaxed environment, I spend more. If I'm being harrassed, I'll leave.

Same with my choice of grocery stores. I go to our local Food Lion because it's so nice and relaxing in there! They play pleasant music over the intercom and only use it to relay a message to another employee. No continuous advertisements with sappy voices trying to promote products. I may pay a few pennies more for products but the employees are very helpful when I need it and the store beautifully organized.

By contrast, I went to a Red Lobster restaurant. Our waiter was like one continunous infommercial. First, he appeared to announce the specials, which is fine but after that, it was upsell, upsell, upsell. A infommerical for several minutes at our side table every 10 minutes about drinks, appetizers, meals, desserts, coffee. Hey! I just want to relax and enjoy my meal! I will tip well for good service! Just leave me alone!!

Also, what's interesting is the attitude that goes along with the sale. The more I politely said no to what extras the waiter was offering, the less friendly his attitude was. I guess I was being punished with guilt for not spending? At the nearby table, someone wanted the wine and appetizer and suddenly our waiter is just Mr. Sparkling Personality. Apparently, a customer rates a friendly, helpful waiter according to how much money they spend?

The same with retail shopping. Why is our privacy being invaded? Don't you just love someone at a computer asking you all these personal questions about your address and phone number outloud? Like look at the questionable characters standing behind me in line with their text phones. Just the people I want to know my personal information and harrass me later. (Yes, it did happen to a woman I know at work!) Or sign-up lists taped to counters where they want you to write your name, address, phone number and e-mail address for everyone to see? One click photo from someone's Iphone from that list should make life interesting!

Okay, end of novel! Lynn

Last edited by Artistic Spirit; 07-13-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Im a cashier and I *HATE* upselling for the charities they make us do. Usually nobody wants them, and sometimes we even get chewed out for asking!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
I'm not crazy about the cashier who asks you, when buying a toaster for $14.95 if you want to purchase the extended warrantee for - wait for it - $14.95

There is, however, some benefit when buying an expensive item like a TV for almost $2,000. My DIL purchased the warrantee for almost $200. 17 months later, when streaks appeared on the screen, she called the store, they sent a repairman and since it would cost almost <gasp> $2,000 to repair, the store gave her a new TV. And since the model she had was discontinued, they gave her her choice of five other models. You can bet she bought the warrantee!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
My daughter is a waitress, oh excuse me "server" at a popular breakfast chain. They are being forced to upsell desserts and overpriced specialty drinks to patrons, and if the DON'T, they are chewed out on a daily basis by the manager (who is in turn being chewed out by the District Manager, who is in turn being chewed out by the corporate honchos, etc.) if they don't meet their "goals". They also have their hours cut, and it doesn't matter how well they are performing the rest of their job or how pleasantly they are serving their customers. Remember, that cashier or server is rarely doing this pushy upselling because they WANT to do it. They are being threatened if they don't.

The only way to combat this is to do like the poster did after hearing the forced "cheerfulness" at Ci Ci's. Fire off an e-mail or call the companies 1-800 line and protest, just be sure to put the blame where it rightfully belongs - on the overpaid, greedy, clueless corporate high-ups in the ivory towers of the company making these directives. Otherwise, your complaint will be blamed on the poor undeling that is only trying to keep his or her job.

We were recently given moronic "scripts" to go by where I work, for how we are supposed to give "excellent customer service", telling us what to say and how to smile, as if we are not adult enough to have any manners in the first place. Then, at the end of the script, it says to make sure we sound "genuine"!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,753 times
When an employee tries to sell something I clearly don't want or need, I will call the manager and let him/her know if they keep insisting I will take my business somewhere else. And I will ask this manager to pass the complaint along to whoever is responsible for the store.

I will make sure to mention the employee is just doing what he is told, but instead of attracting customers this irritates them and makes them want to go somewhere else.

If the store wants to sell more, make specials, give gift cards/bonus, give samples, etc. I have bought stuff I didn't intend to at the grocery store bc it looked good, there was a special, etc. This is the smart way to do it in my opinion.

I have never seen a person buying stuff an employee insisted on selling, and the saddest part is one clearly sees they just do it bc they are told so.
With me, it has never worked.

Some employees will be very obnoxious and insist tremendously, an example being at the hair salon I used to go for a cut and color and they wanted me to get every treatment under the sun. I would tell them if they insist I would simply go somewhere else, period.

I am on a budget, and even if I weren't, I will buy what I want only. This is my right as a customer.

Once this lady was insisting so much I said (and it was true!) "if I say yes, as I have a limited amount to spend, you get no tip. Do you want me to say yes to this hair treatment I clearly don't want and don't need regardless?" she never insisted again.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
I used to work at a high end clothing retail store while I was in college. We had to offer credit card but I told my manager I will not do it or I will quit. I work very hard and I provide excellent customer service to my customers and some time I'm their personal shopper. I told my manager if they tell me anything about offering the store credit card I will quit. They left me alone and I worked there for 2 years and never asked filled out a credit card form. I guess the whole management team get the message from me.
Wow, I would have fired you for this.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
I used to work for a call center that did this. I was the front line so I got people interested in the base product (a vacation at a low price) they would sign up and call in to set their dates at another time. When they called to set their dates the second line is the upsell group "we can give you an upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa for only $99 - we can give you 50% of rental cars - we can give you an entertainment package for free if you buy this" a lot of people cancel at phase two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products