U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,050,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyForever View Post
Thank you...so as far as the schools you feel Shreveports magnet schools are better than the best Bossier public schools, correct?
It aint even close...

Here are the top high schools in La (note there are no Bossier Parish schools on the list):

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Last edited by N8!; 01-17-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 15,957 times
Hi thank you very much for that information! So is it safe to say that if I don't register my child in a magnet or private school in Shreveport, that the better option would be the Bossier school system (stay away from the Shreveport public school system, other than what you had mentioned)? That's one of our biggest concerns! We have the same type of situation here in some areas, either Catholic school or MOVE. Some school systems you just wouldn't put your child in.
What we'd 'like' is an area with the *best school system, lots of families and children (our children are 11/12) (and high school). We'd like to eventually find a home with a very nice, larger sized yard and a home 2000 sq ft or above in the under $200k price range with lo taxes, (is that unrealistic?). When looking in South Highlands it seems all the homes that meet our criteria are beautiful but are above $300k, but as you know we're not settled on that area now anyway.
Also - is one area more a suburb and the other more a city?
Thank you for all your help and taking the time to get back to me!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 21,182 times
If you choose Shreveport then for sure magnet. Bossier parish schools are great public schools. New construction is selling for approx $125-$130 per square foot to give you an idea. I am very familiar with North Bossier and Shreveport neighborhoods but not so familiar with South Bossier neighborhoods although I do know the subdivisions the earlier post mentioned in south bossier are popular. Property taxes are lower in Bossier than Shreveport and there are some subdivisions in North Bossier that are just outside the city limit so there are no city taxes assessed. I live in North Bossier and raised my kids here so my real life experience is from a North Bossier perspective. North Bossier has experienced tremendous growth over the last few years but Shreveport still tops us in shopping and dining. So the bottom line would be if you choose Shreveport you will want your kids in magnet schools and if you choose Bossier you can check out both North and South. Either way I think you will find this area extremely family friendly, safe and affordable. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
It aint even close...

Here are the top high schools in La (note there are no Bossier Parish schools on the list):

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report
N8!, Thank you for the US News report link...I'm going to review it with my husband. Thank you for the info. Now it's a matter of neighborhoods...since i would be able to commute my son to a Magnet school if we went that route. So much to take in and figure out; I have alot of homework to do.
(Also- My response to your last reply posted twice, my apologies)

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homes For You View Post
If you choose Shreveport then for sure magnet. Bossier parish schools are great public schools. New construction is selling for approx $125-$130 per square foot to give you an idea. I am very familiar with North Bossier and Shreveport neighborhoods but not so familiar with South Bossier neighborhoods although I do know the subdivisions the earlier post mentioned in south bossier are popular. Property taxes are lower in Bossier than Shreveport and there are some subdivisions in North Bossier that are just outside the city limit so there are no city taxes assessed. I live in North Bossier and raised my kids here so my real life experience is from a North Bossier perspective. North Bossier has experienced tremendous growth over the last few years but Shreveport still tops us in shopping and dining. So the bottom line would be if you choose Shreveport you will want your kids in magnet schools and if you choose Bossier you can check out both North and South. Either way I think you will find this area extremely family friendly, safe and affordable. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! It certainly seems as if both North & South Bossier are 2 places to consider for my family and I. I do appreciate the cost info on new constructions but I think we'll start off with an older home.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,050,127 times
Just an FYI; getting into the Magnet schools is no sure thing. Kids have to score well on their entrance exams to make it.

That being said, there are good school districts in Shv like the one the Broadmoor area is in. That's why homes in that area are older but still command a high selling price. South Highlands is a good area and most of SE Shreveport out on Norris Ferry Rd is also good.

Homes in S Bossier are $10-$15 less per sq ft than those in N Bossier usually. The neighborhoods are similar. Selling a home in S Bossier is pretty easy since it's a popular place for Air Force families to locate (7 min to the base).

Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Yes, I am aware. I sent in an app (just on case we do decide on that)...although I was a bit late, they'll "late" test our children

Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM

974 posts, read 2,062,267 times
South Bossier has good neighborhoods and is a quick drive over Jimmie Davis Bridge to South S'port shopping zones (Youree Drive, etc.) Good schools in Parkway HS, middle school / elem, etc. I personally don't care all that much for Shreveport / Bossier as I prefer DFW or some other metro setting but that's me.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,440 times
Compared with New York schools, you're probably not going to be happy with Bossier or Caddo public schools. You can try the Magnet schools, but I'm guessing they won't really impress you either. My son did public school in Texas, then we moved to Shreveport. He went to one of the best-rated elementary schools in the parish, and I'd never send him back. When bringing up concerns, his teacher even said, "Well, Texas schools are better than Louisiana schools." The standards are very low here. Of course, a good student will do well and a good teacher can make or break a class, but I'm done with public schools here. He tested for Magnet, was put on the waiting list, and received a spot two days before the school year started. At that point, I had already begun homeschooling him (and I NEVER thought I'd homeschool). The plan is to homeschool this year and next and then do private school for him and my younger kids. I have toured Southfield, St. Joe's, and the montessori school. That's one thing, there are a lot of options for private schools and some active homeschool groups. I love South Shreveport and am so glad I didn't let people talk me into Bossier. Personally, I think Bossier is poorly-designed and dumpy and just doesn't hold a candle to Shreveport's cultural offerings and diversity. Both cities have their good and bad, but I suggest seeing for yourself before assuming that Shreveport is the hood and Bossier has "great" schools. It's hardly that simple, but some people would like you to think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City