Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 AM

739 posts, read 2,135,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
My wife graduated from Centenary with a degree in French Literature, and I attended for one year before transferring. It's a very good liberal arts college - but I wouldn't recommend it as much for other programs. My wife got an amazing education as a liberal arts major. I was disappointed in the engineering/math side, so I transferred to a school with a more technical focus.

It's a BEAUTIFUL small campus. It's very much a community vibe. Shreveport is a city where you have to own a car, and there isn't much to walk to from campus except a few diners, book stores, and antique shops. The Greek scene is mild, which most parents would consider a good thing. It's not a college for crazy parties.

Shreveport isn't very new-grad friendly - both my wife and I had issues getting jobs right out of college, and that was before the recession hit hard. But that's only an issue if you want to stick around after college.
Thanks for the response. My son is considering the 3:2 Engineering program. Was this in place when you attended? The student spends 3 years at Centenary majoring in Physics or Math (Pre-Engineering) and has automatic admissions to one of 5 Engineering programs (Texas A&M, Columbia, Washington U at St. Louis, Case Western Reserve or Columbia). The student must mantain a 3.0 average. The student would graduate with 2 undergarduate degrees (Physics from Centenary and Engineering from Texas A&M for example). One thing appealled to me was the small campus and the transition from a small christian high school to college. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM

180 posts, read 667,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
Thanks for the response. My son is considering the 3:2 Engineering program. Was this in place when you attended? The student spends 3 years at Centenary majoring in Physics or Math (Pre-Engineering) and has automatic admissions to one of 5 Engineering programs (Texas A&M, Columbia, Washington U at St. Louis, Case Western Reserve or Columbia). The student must mantain a 3.0 average. The student would graduate with 2 undergarduate degrees (Physics from Centenary and Engineering from Texas A&M for example). One thing appealled to me was the small campus and the transition from a small christian high school to college. What are your thoughts?
Hmm. That program wasn't in place when I was there, so I can't comment. That might not be a bad gig. Certainly, a math/science guy is going to get a better rounded education at a liberal arts college. He'll be exposed to a lot more literature, philosophy, etc than at most schools. The size of the campus would also probably be a good transition for him. As a private school kid, I can confirm: college was overwhelming at first!

Culturally, a private school kid would do well at Centenary. It's a very warm atmosphere and is a VERY accepting place. I really liked it and only left for academic reasons. I don't know your beliefs, but since you bring up the Christian high school, I should point out a few things that may or may not bother you. While Centenary is "technically" a Methodist college, culturally it is a VERY liberal place. There were several openly gay professors when I was there. The religion classes, and I think at least one is required, are taught from a very academic perspective and might be contrary to your church's teachings. Liberal Arts schools typically have a liberal slant, and Centenary is no different. Most of the students are going to be English/Philosophy/Sociology/Music majors, so it's a very hippie campus.

I'm personally on that side of the aisle anyhow, but I know that it might bother some parents so it's only fair to point it out.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
Hmm. That program wasn't in place when I was there, so I can't comment. That might not be a bad gig. Certainly, a math/science guy is going to get a better rounded education at a liberal arts college. He'll be exposed to a lot more literature, philosophy, etc than at most schools. The size of the campus would also probably be a good transition for him. As a private school kid, I can confirm: college was overwhelming at first!

Culturally, a private school kid would do well at Centenary. It's a very warm atmosphere and is a VERY accepting place. I really liked it and only left for academic reasons. I don't know your beliefs, but since you bring up the Christian high school, I should point out a few things that may or may not bother you. While Centenary is "technically" a Methodist college, culturally it is a VERY liberal place. There were several openly gay professors when I was there. The religion classes, and I think at least one is required, are taught from a very academic perspective and might be contrary to your church's teachings. Liberal Arts schools typically have a liberal slant, and Centenary is no different. Most of the students are going to be English/Philosophy/Sociology/Music majors, so it's a very hippie campus.

I'm personally on that side of the aisle anyhow, but I know that it might bother some parents so it's only fair to point it out.
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if anyone would post about Centenary. My religious beliefs are very strong, embetted since childhood. In refernce to the gay thing, there is one in every family (some people will disgaree with me) and my family is no exception. I do not judge other people.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Any more feedback on Centenary?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 22,137 times
It is a wonderful school and a very small, close knit campus. The kids that I have known that attended recently received degrees in the arts. I am not familiar with all of it's offerings but it does offer an MBA program and is very well received in our town. Beautiful campus but very close to a not so desirable part of Shreveport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City