U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I and our two children (3 and 5months) are planning to move to Shreveport soon from Northern Michigan. I have never been to Louisiana and so I dont know much about the cities there. Also, I have to admit, while I did grow up in the city, I have lived in a small town for almost 15 years and the city is a bit intimidating to me right now. What I am wondering is if there are any smaller towns near Shreveport that are nice. Or what areas of the city would work. I was a place where I do not have to worry about my daughters safety anymore than I do now, where we can all feel comfortable. I really am excited about this move and think that it could bring great things, but since we are coming from so far away and I am going to be doing most of the house hunting and things online, I want to be as informed as possible. Thank you so much to anyone that can give me some tips or information
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 AM

20 posts, read 40,549 times
Hi...I would look in Bossier city...benton or haughton for smaller cities outside of Shreveport. Within Shreveport...Broadmoor, where I live, is pretty decent. The schools are good, you're close to shopping and it's very safe. Hope that gives you a good headstart on some places to look.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 10,650 times
My family just recently moved here too I would stick with North Bossier, Benton, or Haughton. Those are going to be your "safest" areas from what I have seen! Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,044,353 times
North Bossier is ok, but if you want to avoid the traffic jams on Airline Dr, then check out south Bossier. You'll be 10 min away from all the best shopping in the Shreveport metroplex, without having to live in a congested area.

Tops on my list would be The Gardens of Southgate, Plantation Trace, Golden Meadows and Olde Oaks.

The schools in S. Bossier are as good as N. Bossier (altho the Magnet schools in Shreveport are vastly superior to all) and the S. Bossier neighborhoods are safe and full of families.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM

19 posts, read 34,112 times
We lived in Shreveport near I-20 and I-220 and really liked the area. There are some patchy places in Shreveport that I avoided driving through, but overall, I felt safe in Shreveport. I cannot comment on the schools, because my children weren't old enough. The close proximity to the highways made getting around pretty easy. I prefer Shreveport to Bossier City....though before we moved, everyone told us to choose BC over S'port. I worked in south Shreveport and my husband worked at LSUS hospital and neither of us had any problem with traffic. The bridges over the Red River do get backed up for rush hour and any event/holiday. The S'port/BC area may be the 3rd largest in Louisiana, but it really does feel a lot smaller than that. The biggest thing I noticed after moving there was how nice everyone was! People we just met went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to help us out. (we had a mini health crisis only 6 wks after moving there). We were only there temporarily (4years) and it wasn't where we wanted to go (husbands job moved us there and then away again), but I really enjoyed my time in Shreveport! The SciPort kids science museum is fantastic! KidCity is a good place to let the older one play when its too hot or too rainy outside. The Broadmoor library does story hour each week. I found lots of fun things to do with the kids. And of course, they have family friendly areas along the Mardi Gras parade routes.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I was born in Bellaire, Michigan but moved to South Louisiana when I was in High School. I went to college in Shreveport, and stayed there and worked there for 6 yrs till I ment my husband (from Gull Lake /Kalamazoo area) and we moved to Houston for work where we live now. I think there are several areas you may like in Shreveport but I would recommend the south area around Ellerbe Road and a little to the west of that road. I have a sister who is a neonatal nurse practioner at a major hospital there, who has lived in Shreveport and raised her children (high school and middle school now) there and loves it. There is a lot to offer in Shreveport arts, education, sports, medicine, etc and I think you are really going to enjoy the weather. I personally prefer the South Shreveport, Long Lake, Ellerbe Road area to the Bossier, Haughton, ect. area. Good luck

Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM

34 posts, read 75,270 times
I can totally understand about wanting to be sure you live in a safe environment. I have a 4 year old son, and I feel the same way as you. When it come to looking for a home, there are obviously a lot of factors involved. I would lean more towards South Bossier City for several reasons. 1. The property taxes are less than Shreveport. 2. The crime rate is a lot less in Bossier. 3. The communities in South Bossier tend to be full of military familes because of Barksdale AFB, and therefore giving you a group of people who typically, from my experience, are easy to get to know, keep their yards neat and clean, and have less crime problems. I have a lot of friends who live in Savannah Place, www.mysouthernhomebuilder.com, and every time I have gone to visit them, I am always impressed with the look of the community and how everyone seems to know each other and welcome new folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City