Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,970 times

Advertisements

Has or does anyone live here? I'd like to know what their experience was or if it's a good choice for this side of shreveport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 PM

81 posts, read 294,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrooks View Post
Has or does anyone live here? I'd like to know what their experience was or if it's a good choice for this side of shreveport.
I'm pretty sure someone posted within the last few weeks that their daughter recently moved to Shreveport and signed a lease for those apartments. From the little bit of research I did into them, they appear pretty nice and very new. That area isn't what it used to be, but there are still plenty of shopping and dining choices over there. And the apartments themselves appear to be gated, so that is a plus as well. Having spent most of my early life in the ghetto, I am extremely picky now about safety and such, and I would live there.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanexplorer2009 View Post
I'm pretty sure someone posted within the last few weeks that their daughter recently moved to Shreveport and signed a lease for those apartments.
That was me.

Just got back from visiting my daughter there. Very nice apartments in a decent part of Shreveport. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
That was me.

Just got back from visiting my daughter there. Very nice apartments in a decent part of Shreveport. I don't think you can go wrong there.
Yep, it was you.

Very nice to hear. The area where those apartments are, up until the last decade, was "the" shopping district for south Shreveport. It had a big mall, and just about every national chain that one could have wanted back then as well as a lot of nice local places. So whenever I say it's not what it used to be or whatever, just understand I'm comparing it to what it was back then and in no way saying it's a bad area. I am saying this is to anyone interested in that area.

There are some bad areas nearby, but it seems that when the big mall over there closed due to rampant gang violence, the violence went away from that area as well. It is very good to see that the Southern Hills area has reclaimed some of its former glory, and having this nice, new apartment complex in that area is further proof of exactly that.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Thanks for the interesting info, urbanexplorer2009.

Considering that last week was the first time I ever visited Shreveport in my life (and last month was the first time for my daughter), it's interesting to read how that area evolved through the years.

My daughter loves the area because it's close to shopping. It's not too close to work (she at the air force base), but it's not a bad commute.

Was the old mall actually where the apartments are now? If not, where was the mall?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Thanks for the interesting info, urbanexplorer2009.

Considering that last week was the first time I ever visited Shreveport in my life (and last month was the first time for my daughter), it's interesting to read how that area evolved through the years.

My daughter loves the area because it's close to shopping. It's not too close to work (she at the air force base), but it's not a bad commute.

Was the old mall actually where the apartments are now? If not, where was the mall?
The old mall is still there. It's at the intersection of Jewella Ave and the 3132 freeway. You may not recognize it as a mall anymore, because it's now a giant mega-church. It's in that general vicinity, I would guess less than a mile from those apartments as the crow flies. At the time, it had gone from a very nice place to a war-zone in just a few short years. It was almost 1 million square feet and was the largest mall in this region with a really big, ornate carousel in the middle for the kids. But when the gang turf wars moved in, it changed so rapidly. There were kidnappings, shootings, rapes, you name it. People felt unsafe and stopped shopping there, and ultimately it closed. Then, as I mentioned, it seems the gangs took the war back into their own neighborhoods.

I commute from Haughton (east of Bossier City and east of the base) to southeast Shreveport, so I have an idea of what her drive is like. It's not bad at all as long as traffic cooperates. My commute is about the same length as hers, only in the opposite direction.

And I hope you enjoyed it here. Not sure if you got to get out and see much, but I hope you did - it really is a nice area. Shreveport gets a bad rap due mainly to the violent streets, but always keep in mind that the violence is generally confined to specific areas. And a lot of the problems for which Shreveport is stigmatized are things that happened in the past and the city has moved on from. Crime as much worse in the 80s than it is today. Today, Shreveport has the lowest crime rate of Louisiana's 3 largest cities, and it hasn't always been that way. As long as your daughter uses common sense, she'll be fine. Most people I know have never been victimized and many of them have lived here their entire lives. And your daughter made a very good choice in places to live.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,400 times
Any new updates about this place?

I'm going to be working in 71118 area soon so I'm looking for a good apartment to stay in. This will be my first time renting an apartment so I didn't really know what to look for. I checked this place out and it seemed great from the outside and inside. This one is just 3-4 minutes from work so this would be a really good choice. Hopefully after 10 months they fixed some of these problems by now?

I was looking for other apartments around the area and all of them but two are filled until a later date. Those other two don't look like good places for me to live in.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
Just heard that you can move in the same day you apply! Not good, considering there is no way to run a criminal background check on someone in one day! Rents are high but doesn't mean criminals can't afford to live there. Knew someone that applied there around noon and was approved by that afternoon. Either it's not safe to live there or there are some clear violations of fair housing going on here! Everyone must be processed in the same manner!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 29,514 times
I lived there for 7 mths and never had any roaches or rats... Never. I moved to Dallas but considering moving back and I would live there again. My only complaint is parking sucks. There is only one garbage bin for the whole community... Other than that I had no problems. Air went out twice but they were there to fix same day. Island Park and Village at Westlake are nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City