U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,300 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband is applying to medical school soon and assuming he gets in we will probably have to move to Shreveport. I am a teacher and would prefer to teach in a private school. I would also prefer to buy a house rather than rent. However, teachers don't make much and neither do med students! Can anyone give me information on schools in the area and affordable yet safe areas to live? Thanks everyone!

PS
I'm sure it sounds like wishful thinking that he will get in but he has a scholarship that should make it a lot easier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

19 posts, read 34,124 times
I don't know much about the schools in Shreveport bc my children were too young. But we lived in Shreveport near I-20 and I-220 and my husband's commute to LSUS HSC was pretty smooth. We really liked the area over there and felt safe. I worked in south Shreveport and my commute was fine too.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 PM

34 posts, read 75,296 times
There are a lot of great places to ive in SBC, and you are definitely thinking correctly about owning a home and not renting. What kind of price range would you be looking for?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,300 times
Teachers in the area make about 40,000 a year. And since my husband will be in medschool, he will make nothing! lol. We could take out student loans for extra expenses but I would rather not do that if possible. Where we live now I make less and live in a nice 2 bedroom 2.5 bath condo in a good neighborhood that cost me about 700 a month or about 118000. I would like to stay in that price range. If a condo is the only thing in that price range in a safe neighborhood, then I am fine with that. Any help or guidance will be appreciated. I may be home alone a lot and have heard a lot of bad things about crime in the area. I would really appreciate advice on safe, but not expensive neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 75,296 times
If you could come up on your price range to around the mid 800s you can look at some homes in the Broadmoore area in Shreveport. They are older homes, with character as my wife says, that a lot of people are buying, fixing up, and flipping. This would be a good place to look.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 8,344 times
Default lives in shreveport all my life

i just saw your message and had to register to help you.i have lived here all my life.i live in southern hills.we own our home.and lsuhsc is really not far from anywhere you live in shreveport.maybe 10 mins from here.but we have great schools in this area.houses range from $110,000 to aabout $140,000.there is a great private school 5 mins down the road called calvary. baptist academy.i have 3 kids of my own so i know how important it is to have good schools in your area.broadmoor is another nice area with good schools.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 8,344 times
i will happy to help you in anyway i can.there is no crime here in my neighborhood.or on this side of town.youll find out what neighborhoods to not drive through at night.....but if you will look up shreveport and southernhills neighborhood on a realestate website.in fact there are several homes for sell in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City