U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,935 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are leaving Iowa City, Iowa and moving to the Shreveport Area around late May.
We've moved around alot since we've been in, and its always nerve wracking to try and find a home in a city that you really know nothing about. Realtors aren't allowed to "steer" you, and the internet isn't always helpful.

We have heard good things about the Broadmoor subdivision. My questions are:

Is that subdivision in Bossier City or Shreveport? Is it a "military" neighborhood, and it is considered safe? What other neighborhoods are safe, in Bossier City and Shreveport, and have homes on the market for 165K or less?

I keep seeing these really nice homes that in the Highlands area or it will say historic district. They look very nice inside, but the prices are so low that it seems fishy? Any opinions on that neighborhood?

Also, what are the taxes like on a home priced maybe 140-160K price range? I looked online, but just got confused. Do the taxes differ much from Shreveport to Bossier City? In Texas, on a 100K home, we paid 4500 dollars a year in taxes. Here in Iowa, its only about 2700. Just trying to figure out exactly how much we want to spend.

Lastly, I am a little concerned about racism. I realize it exists everywhere, but as an outsider to La, most of the news I see is negative. Racism in North La. How bad is it really? My husband is white, and I'm Filipino/Mexican. I am wondering if the tiny cities around the Shreveport area are worse than Shreveport/Bossier City in that respect.

I would really appreciate it if anyone would answer any of the questions I posted. I'm really excited to move back down South and get out of the cold Iowa winters. It snowed today! I'm so ready for warm weather, sweet tea, and crawfish (:
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,929 times
Default bossier city and shreveport

I've been stationed at Barksdale for about 6 months now so here's what I can tell you from my limited time in the area. Broadmoor will have some good options for homes if you're willing to accept that the difference between the nicer neighborhoods and the worse ones can be a very short distance apart. On a $200k home the difference per month in tax between Shreveport and Bossier City is around $80/month (Shreveport being the higher of the two). Racism here goes both ways, so don't just expect it from the white population. I'm white and my Wife is Filipino and she has more problems from blacks than whites at work (according to her). With that said, most people seem to be happy to go about their business, it's just the exceptions that go noticed.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM

14,085 posts, read 26,862,877 times
When you get here, don't register your vehicle in Louisiana. You'll be charged plenty of taxes. Keep your original state registration. If you plan on living here after service, don' change your registration until you buy another vehicle.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times
I was born into the military and will tell you that most of the military families live in Bossier, that's just how it is. They all prefer the Stockwell area because the schools are MUCH better than Shreveport. The Broadmoor area is cute with beautiful old homes, but the homes are very old and expensive. If you don't buy one that has been renovated from the ground up, you are in for some major up-keep. I work in construction and have gotten call after call after call from that area. Plumbing companies are still in business because of Broadmoor. The Highland area is too far from BAFB in my opinion. Get on Google Maps and look around.

Being a daughter, wife and sister of military members, I would suggest renting first in a new area but that's just me. Obviously you are not new at this. There are lots of homes for rent in the Stockwell/Brookhaven/Dogwood area. Some are new builds, some were built in the late 90's, about 1600-2000sq ft and only 5 miles from base and 1 mile from the best elementary school in Bossier. That's why the miltary families love the area.

Look in Bossier...especially if you have children.

About racism in the "tiny cities that surround Shreveport", there really aren't any tiny cities. Shreveport/Bossier is really like one big city. For the most part, Shreveport and Bossier residents argue over which city is better but you have to drive a good 45 minutes to get to the nearest town, or "tiny city" and the only reason to go there is to get a Ruston peach! Racism hasn't been an issue in the 32 years I've lived here unless I've ran into someone who made it one. But like jk82 said, it's only the exception that is noticed.

Last edited by ballerinamom; 03-04-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 11,432 times
The Broadmoor neighborhood is in Shreveport. The homes are older and range from VERY NICE to NOT-SO-NICE. It's certainly a well-established and safe neighborhood, though. The Highland neighborhood is arguably "transitional." There are some lovely, historic homes but still lots of low-income rentals. The South Highland neighborhood is, however, well-established - again, older homes and on the pricey side.

South Shreveport (University Terrace/Town South/South Broadmoor) is mostly 1960s-1980s builds. Homes are newer and larger than what you'll find in Broadmoor at a comparable price. These neighborhoods are also very family-friendly.

BC tends to have a better reputation for schools, but it really depends on the school. The two elementary schools that serve the base area do not have great reputations. There ARE established schools in Shreveport that do have great reputations and Caddo also offers magnet schools (and there are loads of private school options in Shreveport).

Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 46,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When you get here, don't register your vehicle in Louisiana. You'll be charged plenty of taxes. Keep your original state registration. If you plan on living here after service, don' change your registration until you buy another vehicle.
how bad can it be, in Colorado Springs, a car purchase is 7.2% and the tags are around 50-80 a year, depending on year (military discount).

Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM

34 posts, read 75,303 times
You ask some very good questions. My wife and I bought our first house in Broadmoore at the end of 2008, Moderator cut: not allowed most of your questions I can answer based on personal experience. As far as the Broamoore homes are concerned, my wife calls these homes having character. I have learned that the word character is a synonym for problems. We bought a 3 br 1 bth 1400 sq ft home on Leo Ave for $134,000. Since we have moved in, our water pipes have burst, needing to be completely replaced, $2,500, and my 4 year old son's room was freezing in the winter due to single paned windows. So we replaced the windows with double paned windows, another $14,000. We have formica counter tops, and outdated appliances that we received with the house. In other words, yes, the homes in Broadmoore are cute, but they are old and are projects waiting to happen. So if the reason for looking there is to save money, you're only going to be saving money on the front end, because you will pay to replace the A/C, water pipes, electrical or something while you are there. When we are able to move, we will definitely buy a new home.

Property taxes in Bossier City for $175K home is about $108 a month
Property taxes in Shreveport for $175K home is about $176 a month

Obviously, safety is important to look into. Savannah Place is loaded with military families. There are primarily 2 main demographics here. 1. Young military families, and 2. older baby boomers, late 50s early 60s. So if you put those two groups together it = clean and quiet. The base prices of new homes here have increased by about $10K in about a year.

As far as racism is concerned, the cool thing about being in a community that has such a huge population of military is that you have people from all of the country and the world living together. I was 8 years in the army and went to Iraq for all of 2005. The military is like a big family. everybody looks out for everybody else. Here, when one spouse gets deployed, there is support all around because your neighbors are in the same boat as you.Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-04-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City