U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM

16 posts, read 46,697 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're PCSing to Barksdale this summer, any advice on renting or purchasing? I can't find anything on the forum on rentals, maybe on base they might have some...

Hows the humidity there, is it anything like Alabama? I'm coming from Colorado Springs.

Well prob live in Bossier City, we noticed there's an area above the I20 which has older, but cheaper houses, not sure if thats OK. Here in Colorado Springs, there's developments that are a sea of houses and its a bit less private than others, is this a problem over there?

I'll be going to AFGSC, is anyone part of this unit? I'm interested in finding out how work is and the tempo of what to expect.

Thanks all, I've heard some good things about Shreveport and Bossier City, it seems like a nice location and it'll be an adventure as most of my other assignments has been. Cheers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Almost forgot, I have a car I'd like to register, however the taxes here is 7.4% for the sale on a vehicle, is it the same there? I can't find anything showing otherwise, I think it's 4% there, but not sure.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,582,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustergomez View Post
Hi, we're PCSing to Barksdale this summer, any advice on renting or purchasing? I can't find anything on the forum on rentals, maybe on base they might have some...

Hows the humidity there, is it anything like Alabama? I'm coming from Colorado Springs.

Well prob live in Bossier City, we noticed there's an area above the I20 which has older, but cheaper houses, not sure if thats OK. Here in Colorado Springs, there's developments that are a sea of houses and its a bit less private than others, is this a problem over there?

I'll be going to AFGSC, is anyone part of this unit? I'm interested in finding out how work is and the tempo of what to expect.

Thanks all, I've heard some good things about Shreveport and Bossier City, it seems like a nice location and it'll be an adventure as most of my other assignments has been. Cheers
Hey Buster, I can only help you with a couple things you were asking but perhaps some other folks will chime in.

The humidity is about the same as Alabama, really not much different. It is fairly constantly high, but sometimes will drop off. Forget it being anything like the Springs.

I don't believe that Bossier is quite on the level of Colorado Springs sea of houses development (I have been to that great city numerous times). Greenacres Place north of I220 would be your best bet. Homes built in the 80s are not quite as expensive as further north of there. Greenacres itself which is south of 220 is pretty good but most of those houses were built in the 50s and 60's. I don't recommend anything south of Greenacres and north of I-20 itself except maybe Central Plaza.

For rentals, contact a realtor in the area. Maybe an airman could help. I would be skeptical of individuals although it won't hurt to meet them.

South Bossier has some nice areas as well and a good school district if you need one. North Bossier does too.

I am an old Air Force boy myself (enlisted). I have been out since 1977 so I'm not up on the rest of your questions but hopefully somebody will.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,442 times
We moved to SBC about a year ago. At that time, rentals were few and far between and were on the high side. I speculate the same is true today.

I looked at sites like Craig's List, AHRN.com, and MilitaryByOwner.com. South Bossier tends to be less expensive than North Bossier. South Shreveport a little more expensive than Bossier overall. Most BC schools tend to have better reputations than Shreveport schools, but that really depends on the school.

In Shreveport, you're closer to amenities and there are established neighborhoods and schools.

Yes, it's humid - probably very similar to Alabama.

We kept our vehicles registered in another state, so I'm not sure on the registration fees. I heard they're "expensive." Car insurance is more expensive, but military members get a discount to help account for some of that.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM

34 posts, read 75,344 times
Hi Buster,

Welcome to SBC. Yea, the humidity is probably what you would expect, but it is a great place to be. There are tons of good places to eat, and the area is very militray friendly. You seem to get dicounts everywhere. As far as places to live, if you have the ability to buy, do it. Renting around here is rediculously high. Global Strike, the oil and gas, and movie idustries have brought a lot of people to area, therefore decreasing the supply of rentals and, as a result, increasing rent prices. Barksdsale is located in South Bossier City, and there are several great places to live. I have a lot of military friends that live in Savannah Place, about a mile and a half from the base, and they swear by it. My wife and I have actually looked into having the same company build a home for us once we can save enough for a down payment. But, you can do some research yourself, like we have, and go to Moderator cut: not allowed and look into the community and whetever. The schools seem to be really good there too.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-08-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
DO NOT BUY IN BOSSIER CITY / SHREVEPORT homes are overpriced and statistics show that we have 8 - 12 month inventory of homes. They are building ALOT around here so prices WILL come down 10 - 40% in the next few years. Compare the prices here to Houston or Dallas and you will see what I mean. I have seen more and more rentals available as home owners who can't sell at these ridiculous prices have started renting out, so there will be pressure on rent prices to come down also. Please do not buy here you will end up loosing $$$......

Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM

I don't understand why or how you would compare SBC, with a population of a few hundred thousand, with a massive city like Dallas or Houston. The bottom line is this, interest rates are at 4.25% right now for an FHA loan. If you want to wait several years to buy and risk that going up, then great. Just understand for every .5% the rate goes up, you lose about 10% of buying power. Also, after a few years you will be getting ready to PCS somewhere else, so you would probably not end up buying anyway, and instead throwing away $1,100-$1,500/month, which is $52,800-$72,000 over the 4 years that you are here. So, as I previously posted, it only makes sense to own a home in the market we have in SBC. If you want to verify this, call any full time top producing realtor around here and ask them their opinion.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military-rocks View Post
I don't understand why or how you would compare SBC, with a population of a few hundred thousand, with a massive city like Dallas or Houston. The bottom line is this, interest rates are at 4.25% right now for an FHA loan. If you want to wait several years to buy and risk that going up, then great. Just understand for every .5% the rate goes up, you lose about 10% of buying power. Also, after a few years you will be getting ready to PCS somewhere else, so you would probably not end up buying anyway, and instead throwing away $1,100-$1,500/month, which is $52,800-$72,000 over the 4 years that you are here. So, as I previously posted, it only makes sense to own a home in the market we have in SBC. If you want to verify this, call any full time top producing realtor around here and ask them their opinion.
wouldn't any realtor ALWAYS tell me it's a good time to buy? I due appreciate the comments, I have a house here in Colorado Springs that I'm going to rent out due to the house decline, buying isn't an out option however I don't want to lose money. In either case, a majority of the money goes to the banks if I don't give out a GOOD down payment, unless I should decide to stay longer, then it might be a good idea to buy...I'm not bashing you military-rocks, just putting it into perspective. Also, I don't go at what folks say when they say 'don't buy here', there's always advantages everywhere near military to buy and rent out, it's just if that person wants to take that risk...not sure if I'd like to do that. However, they say that if you buy and rent out 7 houses, you can retire on that alone...at these rates it sounds tempting...

Where can I find a good realtor that specializes in short sales or foreclosures...

Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Well, I appreciate that you think I'm a realtor, but I am an investor. I do not have a realtor liscence. I just know the market because I pay attention to it. There are areas around South Bossier I could tell you about that are getting an average 5% a year appreciation. I just met with an assistant broker at a Century 21 office last week and she gave me a print out that shows the average and median sales prices for the area over the past 10 years. We have NEVER declined, not one year. So, yes there is a risk involved with the purchase of a home, but you seem intelligent and detail oriented enough to be able to figure out how to make the numbers work. My opinion is that if you buy a home with a VA loan and put nothing down and in 3-4 years you decide to move and have to sell it, you may, after realtor fees and closing costs, break even or even profit a little bit. However, even if you lost $10,000 on the sale, it's still better than losing $52,000+ that I mentioned in my previous post by renting over the same time period and giving away your BAH for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City