Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,281 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I admit I'm maybe a bit spoiled, living in California. I love Trader Joes, Henry's, Fit 'n Fresh, and Winco, not to mention Costco has a lot of organic foods (here at least) for great prices. I'm wondering how to keep eating what I'm used to without spending a fortune.

I also have pets that do better on whole organic foods, and right now I'm getting a great dry cat food for about $15 for 25 pounds -- Solid Gold here sells for $40 for 15 pounds and Newman's is closer to $18 for 5 pounds -- I'd prefer to find something like what I'm buying here rather than have to pay for the more expensive ones.

Are there any grocery stores that sell bulk whole foods? (Meaning bulk in the bins -- for a decent price?) Co-ops for natural foods at wholesale prices? Organic farms? Anything at all like that? It took me a few months to locate good places to shop here, and I love that I can buy quality foods at decent prices, but I wondered if I can find that near Shreveport/Bossier City ... or even Monroe or so I can travel to sometimes (depending where I end up living there).

Thanks, if anyone has any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 68,912 times
I feel your pain. I miss Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's et al. I am Googling 'bulk foods in Shreveport' right now looking for sesame seeds to make my mom's famous benne seed wafers, but Shreveport doesn't seem to have much to offer in the way of adventurous culinary shopping. I will post again should I find something!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 15,795 times
Check out Sunshine Health Foods Cafe. They are very friendly, at least in the Bossier City (3011 Airline Dr., Ste. E) one, there is another shop in Shreveport (5751 Youree Dr) that I have not been to yet. Not overwhelming on selection but at least it's something.

I can't wait till spring when the farmers markets open back up. I just moved here myself and would like to here what FM are people's favorites?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 17,771 times
There is a new food co op at the old Chinaberry's store on Benton Road, next to Perry's. I was in there at before Christmas & the owner told me he was getting it up & he sounded like he knew what he was doing. He's a transplant like a lot of the rest of us. I recently saw bulk sesame seeds at a lebanese restaurant in Shreveport. I forgot the name but it's right behind WineStyles on Line Ave. close to Pierremont. They had a small selection of food stuff from Lebanon for sale. Granted SBC is not CA or NYC where I came from, & most things are hard to find, but it is getting better. I heard recently that there is a petition to open a whole foods here (even though I'm not that big of a fan). I do find that Kroger's has really good prices on organics, and the regional manager of Brookshire's told me they are increasing their organic buys - but Kroger is usually cheaper. Get a Kroger customer card & get larger discounts. I'm not crazy about Sunshine, even though I do buy most of my supplements from them, & they carry Kombucha, & sometimes they have coconut water (even though they refuse to put it in the cooler). To me they really don't know what they are doing, even though they are trying. Pretty pricey. good luck, hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 17,771 times
oh yeah I buy my dog's wellness @ serio feed it is so much cheaper than everywhere else, but I don't know about your brands. give them a call & they will help you over the phone. I found them through the wellness website.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 15,795 times
I really don't know the area well, what's the major crossroad for Chinaberry, I'm having trouble finding a store by that name...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 35,412 times
Once the market starts up again, ask the vendors. They used to do an organic co-op when I lived there. It was a group of acquaintances who placed an order with a group in Greenwood, I think. There is also a yahoo group for Living Naturally in NW Louisiana. The group is pretty dead, but the folks there might be able to point you in the right direction for organic and green living in Shreveport.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 31,015 times
Of course! There is Sunshine Healthfoods in Bossier City on Airline Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City