Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM

572 posts, read 1,294,486 times

Advertisements

Long story short: My husband works with B-52s. We had an assignment to Barksdale AFB, LA. We were about to leave to house hunt. Had houses picked out, spoke to the hospital staff, therapists, and schools, everyone said that we were good to go for our move to Shreveport. Anyway, on Thursday, our assignment was cancelled, due to my son's autism. We were given a letter that stated that the reason we were denied an assignment was because the current Applied Behavior Analyst was not adequate for my son, there were no developmental pediatricians, and no psychiatric care in the area to monitor my son's medicines (he is on risperdone and metadate-- common ADHD medications). We called for clarification, and was told by the RN that the ABA therapy company was having issues with employee turnover and that a lot of parents were complaining about the quality of services.

The issue is that this really screws my husband's career over BIG TIME, and we want to be sure before we decide not to fight the Air Force's denial. Basically what the Air Force told us does not jive with what we have heard from the care providers. So I would like to know from families living the Shreveport/Bossier City area who have a child on the spectrum, are there issues with the area in regards to autism and services, or not? I am aware that recently the Autism Learning Center closed (and is under investigation). We were talking to people at Little Works In Progress. And right now we don't have enough information to make a good decision. So please, if anyone can provide feedback about their satisfaction with autism services in Shreveport/Bossier City it would seriously help me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,287,040 times
Have you contacted Barksdale's Family Services office?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 78,367 times
I have a friend that is on the board of directors for an autism awareness organization. I will get in contact with him and see what I can find out for you.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM

572 posts, read 1,294,486 times
Yes, sorry, I haven't been on here for a few days, but we have decided not to rebutt the assignment and are awaiting reassignment to another base.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,343 times
Its hard to believe that the air force can make a decision like that for you
and your family. I read that you are not contesting, I hope you end up in a place with more resources. The only places practicing ABA, are little works, The Center for therapy, and evangel christian academy. The therapy is expensive. The schools are still in the process of training teachers in TEACH and ABA in Sport and Bossier. There are no schools in particular that I could suggest in shreveport, Riverside is a 12:1 ratio in SPED. There is hardly any inclusion. I can't say Bossier fairs much better.
They do have one class per parish I think dedicated to autism, but they are isolated students. Evangel has a great idea, ABA all day but it is a pretty penny, around 15 grand a year. Good Luck to you and God Bless, sincerly a mother of a 10 yr old autistic boy navigating Shreveport, Bossier.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,012 times
Default Sped

In caddo Parish there are about a dozen Autism classes at six different schools. North Highlands Elementary has two, a K-2 and a 3-5, both very good sped teachers trained in TEACCH and ABA. The ratio is 1 teacher and 2 para's to six children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City