Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
I think one can find connectivity in any place. It is always about getting to know people and carefully selecting friends. It's really not much different in any place one choose to make home. Friends are cultivated......

As to education, it really is not so relevant to the mindset of the individuals when one is seeking friends, people generally don't base friends on what their education level is, but what their integrity and character is as it relates to life. .... It is always about the character of persons.
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree with you on this... education levels are very important in relationships. I've seen relationships crumble because of educational disparity too many times. Education is important in all aspects of life. I've stopped participating in certain social activities relating to church, politics and community service simply because of a lack of education and dynamics in critical thinking. Not to say I no longer like the people but I no longer care to be around them because of their self-perpetuated ignorance. Sorry but sociology has proven time and again that many things create relationships and "like follows like", it always has and always will. To think otherwise is ignoring human nature, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
I greatly appreciate education for the sake of educations gift to understanding. I however, do not aspire to the claim that only a degree substantiated being educated. This is my point.

People unfortunately are by many things driven to doubt themselves, and thus embrace silence or small talk, because so much becomes a put down for lack of a degree.
I say, think, investigate, learn, pursue learning and grow in awareness. By the many means life provides its knowledge.
I'm in no way a fan of blatant ignorance, which becomes so by lack of will and want to think and learn.

But I'm also not a fan of disenchanting people due to their lack of a degree. I think there is knowledge found by many means, including via degree programs. But we need not think this is the only pathway, nor should we push that delusion which cause people to doubt themselves.

I would urge anyone to learn something everyday, pursue to learn something every day and be determined to learn something everyday.
Likewise so, I'd say to anyone, don't go to work just because someone is paying you to come. Go to work to give a contribution of your efforts and improve your will to do a job well. One may not get paid what they are worth, but don't become of any less based on that factor, give your best because it makes you better.

When it comes to relationships, People should think of what love is, Love is the work of expressing the heart and soul, as well as love is working with the challenges of daily life trying to build better understanding and be better understood. Love is many things, but it becomes nothing if we fail to give in the work which love is of continual demand.

Abuse no one, nor wrongly use another. Learn compassion, and pursue the honest of truths light. It is a worthy work for any heart which has a belief in love and the will to live well in heart and presence..
Do not languish in a situation which abused you with malice and violence of sorts. seek the help if that is what is needed to extract yourself from abuse. Once removed from such, find the pathway to peace with self and grace in the ways of developing the expressiveness of loves realism, it is where you find the best of your self and the truth of your being.

For men, there is no need to be brutish, because it only exposes your weakness, in the full spin you will only find that you've made a fool of yourself and destroyed a love which you may have other wise beheld for a lifetime.
For women, be kind, be considerate and find the gentleness of your soul, but be not one who become of a door mat when abuse is being thrust upon you day upon day. Be not full of expect when there is a limit on respect. If one has not the will to be giving and sharing, then they may well seek not to hold expectations for things they themselves is not willing to give and share.

IF you have children, for every moment of abuse you bring unto and upon the child, the lower you diminish yourself and the more negatives you spread within the world. If you cannot find kindness in your words when communicating with your child, then maybe you should seek silence, until you can find truths kindness to deliver your expressions.

Learning to live is a ongoing function, learning to love has to start within ones self. These are things worth the learning, they are worthy of the pursuit to learn, and one must first humble oneself unto self, to truly embrace the gifts of these things of Gods knowledge that you may become one who seeks Grace, and in your acts and actions to be as if one is engaging the essence of Gods love, then the pathway to peace can unfold and bring blessing in your life.

These are things of learning, which opens the mind unto the wisdom's of the world of Gods creation. These are choices each person has within every minute of their living.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 22,170 times
As a single, young professional, I thought that I would give my opinion. I'm 24 and graduated from Princeton 2.5 years ago. I moved here to start my business, and currently have branches in 4 cities. I grew up in Shreveport but lived elsewhere from 18-24.

Overall, I like Shreveport. I like it better than Washington, DC, Baton Rouge, and New Jersey, the other 3 places that I've lived. I like Shreveport because traffic is low, cost of living is cheap, it's conservative, the people are down-to-earth, it's warm, and there is everything that you would do on a weekly basis: church, movie theater, stores, restaurants, gym, etc.

Some people complain about the lack of culture, and that's true. You're not going to find major museums, professional sports teams, big amusement parks, etc. But to me, I care more about everyday concerns (low traffic, cheap cost-of-living, warm weather) than about those things. If I really want to do something like that, I can easily drive to Dallas (less than 3 hours away) and make a day trip out of it.

The main thing I don't like about Shreveport is that there aren't a lot of young people. This is partly because it's not a huge city and partly because there are no big universities in town. The main exception is LSUHSC, which has a med school, PA school, etc., but those people usually study a lot and aren't as social.

If you're looking to make friends, I would join some sort of church young adult group and some sort of social gym, like a martial arts gym. You could also play in CABOSA, the adults' recreational soccer league.

Overall, I like Shreveport the best so far, but I'll probably be moving to Phoenix in a few months to try that out.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
You may want to look more closely at the cost of living in Shreveport / Caddo Parish regarding higher than average property taxes. These little details tell a more troubling story as analyst Elliot Stonecipher explains in the news report on La. Public Broadcasting.

http://youtu.be/s8xQuus6yQ4

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Hey all,

I may be moving to LA within the next few weeks with my company from Atlanta (originally from Boston) and I was wondering how Shreveport is as far as the young, single, educated crowd goes? I was originally looking at Alexandria but it appears Shreveport is much larger and I've heard decent things about it.

I'm just really curious about the best areas to live in the city, if there is a lot to do, and if there are a good amount of educated young professionals in the city. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Atlanta has a ton of crime and very shady neighborhoods...BUT! It has a lot of nice things to do, and good places to go, as well. Think of Shreveport like a mini-Atlanta minus the nice things to do and good places to go, and you've about summed it up.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacerenity View Post
As a single, young professional, I thought that I would give my opinion. I'm 24 and graduated from Princeton 2.5 years ago. I moved here to start my business, and currently have branches in 4 cities. I grew up in Shreveport but lived elsewhere from 18-24.

Overall, I like Shreveport. I like it better than Washington, DC, Baton Rouge, and New Jersey, the other 3 places that I've lived. I like Shreveport because traffic is low, cost of living is cheap, it's conservative, the people are down-to-earth, it's warm, and there is everything that you would do on a weekly basis: church, movie theater, stores, restaurants, gym, etc.

Some people complain about the lack of culture, and that's true. You're not going to find major museums, professional sports teams, big amusement parks, etc. But to me, I care more about everyday concerns (low traffic, cheap cost-of-living, warm weather) than about those things. If I really want to do something like that, I can easily drive to Dallas (less than 3 hours away) and make a day trip out of it.

The main thing I don't like about Shreveport is that there aren't a lot of young people. This is partly because it's not a huge city and partly because there are no big universities in town. The main exception is LSUHSC, which has a med school, PA school, etc., but those people usually study a lot and aren't as social.

If you're looking to make friends, I would join some sort of church young adult group and some sort of social gym, like a martial arts gym. You could also play in CABOSA, the adults' recreational soccer league.

Overall, I like Shreveport the best so far, but I'll probably be moving to Phoenix in a few months to try that out.
Crossfit and the like are starting to make inroads here. I've considered it, but am moving soon. Were I being told I had to move here, I'd check that arena out. You find someone into fitness, and not always, but many times, the rest of their life has some sort of direction, as well!

It's very interesting to hear your opinion of Shreveport, although the other cities you listed would make the bottom of my "to move to" list, as well. Also, correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't COL in Phoenix a bit higher? I see you listed Jersey, so maybe you don't care, but just saying, Shreveport is certainly the "low rent" option on your list, by a mile.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,902 times
As a native of Shreveport for most of my life who just recently moved away for a position after graduating college..... the best advice I can give you is RUN FAR AWAY..if it is feasible for you. Otherwise, I'd advise you to get in touch with your humility and get ready for a rough time. It will be rough regardless where you go when first starting out but it will be that much more difficult and dreary if you remain in this area. I wish it were different...but sadly that's the way it is. Good luck to you.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izurin View Post
As a native of Shreveport for most of my life who just recently moved away for a position after graduating college..... the best advice I can give you is RUN FAR AWAY..if it is feasible for you. Otherwise, I'd advise you to get in touch with your humility and get ready for a rough time. It will be rough regardless where you go when first starting out but it will be that much more difficult and dreary if you remain in this area. I wish it were different...but sadly that's the way it is. Good luck to you.
Did you know it was such a dump before you moved? I know a lot of people like you, or who could be like you, if only they traveled or moved. As it is, they just...don't see it. But the one's who do leave, or even go on an extended vacation throw up in their mouths when they return, figuratively.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Did you know it was such a dump before you moved? I know a lot of people like you, or who could be like you, if only they traveled or moved. As it is, they just...don't see it. But the one's who do leave, or even go on an extended vacation throw up in their mouths when they return, figuratively.
True. I went on vacation up to the north east for a month and started realizing I'd rather live in every area I'd visited on the way (that were still populated), rather than Shreveport. I remember visiting Cleveland in 2007 and being more impressed.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 AM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
There is literally no sign of culture here. Everyone just does their own thing. This is where sports teams come to die. There is too much crime, and the SPD is corrupt through and through. The roads are the worst in the state (and possibly the nation). The politicians never seem to fix anything. This is one city not on the rise.

Bossier is better, but it is flawed by being so close to Shreveport. The average IQ seems to be dreadfully low, as LA is badly educated in general.

The only positive is there are some nice, peaceful neighborhoods that are protected by HOA. It is a decent place to retire if you pick the right spot. Fishing and golf are abundant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City