Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I may be moving to LA within the next few weeks with my company from Atlanta (originally from Boston) and I was wondering how Shreveport is as far as the young, single, educated crowd goes? I was originally looking at Alexandria but it appears Shreveport is much larger and I've heard decent things about it.

I'm just really curious about the best areas to live in the city, if there is a lot to do, and if there are a good amount of educated young professionals in the city. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Definitely not an ideal city for a young professional. It has some nice amenities due to it's nice infrastructure for such a small city and it's entertainment from it's tourism industry. Not much there for drawing young people such as Charlotte, New Orleans, Austin, etc..

Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 AM

How about Alexandria? Better option or worse?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Much worse.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Anywhere in between Alexandria and Shreveport that is nice?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Nice, yes, suitable - no.

My sister lives in Alexandria, I grew up there a long time ago, my parents lived there until they died. My sister came back as a 50-ish single. She seems to like it (educated, professional). But she doesn't go to clubs, although I am sure there are some; she likes cultural activities and seems to find plenty to do.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM

Any suggestions for really nice towns close to Winnfield or Natchitoches?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Not a suitable place. I left there at the beginning of the year after a 3.5 year stint. I joke that places like Shreveport are GREAT places to raise a family, terrible places to MAKE a family. Think of places where singles abound and the lack of families in the communities. The same is true for the places where families go to graze, such as small to medium cities such as Shreveport.

It's all about the demographics. Families have eligible children that turn into eligible bachelors. These individuals run away from Shreveport in search of a competitive college education and a JOB. Shreveport offers neither outside gas work (cyclical), some health care, and military. The rest of the town is "pass go, don't collect 200" fuel exits on your way to Dallas, to be frank, as far as what you're looking for.

I was engaged at the time and brought my wife with me to Shreveport, which is why none of these dynamics particularly jumped out at me at the onset. Once divorced and back on the dating scene, it became quite clear why I had brought my own partner to town; it's a desert. For a person with a career and competitive employment, the local sampling will frustrate you quickly. Remember, your peers fled for jobs and opportunities. If it hadn't been for the military, Shreveport would have never been a destination of consequence for me, job or social-wise. Your best bet is to hang out in Dallas and cough up the gas money and hope you can convince someone of your liking to move to Shreveport for you (good luck on that one!). This is not a jab on Shreveport, it's simply a BYOF city.Good luck to you.

Last edited by hindsight2020; 06-17-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM

So if I move to the area I'm going to be bored? Are there any upscale towns near the two towns I mentioned? I don't mind giving up the city life if there are nice towns to live in. There are singles everywhere (just not a lot in small towns).

Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Natchitoches has some wealthy families as does Alexandria. I don't know that I'd call them "upscale." What do you mean by that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City