Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,843,066 times

Advertisements

I was horrified to see that this incredibly offensive show features three of Shreveport's finest "families" .... Y'all shouldn't let these idiots back into the country, much less the state IMHO! How embarrassing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM

53 posts, read 121,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was horrified to see that this incredibly offensive show features three of Shreveport's finest "families" .... Y'all shouldn't let these idiots back into the country, much less the state IMHO! How embarrassing ...
<-- Many of the emotions that came upon me when I watched that show for the first time.

The people don't even live in Shreveport, they live in the backwoods outside of Shreveport. But the producers just aren't satisfied until they've made a mockery of our city (see also: Bayou Billionaires).

We go nowhere as a metropolitan area with TV shows like those around showcasing the backwoods people as if they live in our city.

Do us a favor and don't watch it, then they won't have any ratings. I don't wish those shows on any city.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,843,066 times
I've noticed a proliferation of reality shows lately that seem to be preying on Louisiana's less ... uh ... "intelligent" citizens: Gator Boys, Swamp People, Cajun Justice. Why hasn't there been a backlash?

We have the same lucrative tax incentives here in GA that's boosting in-state TV business, but so far our most shameful reality gig has been "Real Housewives of ATL."

Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,637,309 times
I don't live there but I've noticed it too. Wild man on animal planet is another one.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Yeah I mentioned it to my wife a while back, it's pretty messed up. There's probably no backlash due to the dollars the production companies are paying while in this state. Otherwise, I don't know. I personally prefer what Millennium Studios has done, which is build a very nice studio just outside of downtown Shreveport where they do a lot of movie filming. They tore down crack houses and roach motels to build a gorgeous brick-faced studio complex and they're planning an expansion already.

Millennium is currently on location in Bossier City where they are taking a street that hasn't yet been developed near the city's arena and are building a facade of the White House, and across the street from it, the National Mall. They will make the street appear to be Pennsylvania Avenue for the movie they are currently working on, White House Taken starring Gerard Butler. When they're done, they will pack up their props and leave the street as they found it, finish filming, do their editing and release another nice movie to the public.

That is positive for our community. All this other backwoods, uneducated garbage they are putting out there, so the world will think we're all like that, is garbage in my opinion and is hurtful to our cities and our state as a whole.

Thanks for bringing this up; it's a real problem and it's about time someone gave their perspective from outside of Louisiana. Watching crap like that, who in their right minds would want to visit Louisiana? These shows portray us as toothless, uneducated, backwoods people who can barely speak English. I have friends who love these shows and watch them all the time. I have to wonder if they're even thinking, while watching these shows, that what they are watching are production companies sitting back and making us look like complete morons, all the while making themselves richer. It is a disgrace.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,295,016 times
Surely no one thinks 'reality' TV is actually real, right?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,719,665 times
So, why do you guys think the rest of the country looks at the South the way they do? Where did the perception originate? Is there even a sliver of truth to any of it? Be honest.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM

I find there are backwoods rednecks in every state, not just in the south. I couldn't imagine where it started, but obviously it was some obnoxious northerner who looked down on the south for whatever reason. I would say there is a sliver of truth, but like I said, there are people like that everywhere. I've had the misfortune of meeting quite a few of them in my travels.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,178,507 times
Alas... while some of those characters on these "reality-shows" may be scripted and exaggerated; I grew up (and worked with) with folks who looked, sounded and acted like the folks on (some) of these shows. It's not too far fetched what you see although I will admit the storylines / premises on these shows are mostly made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City