U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM

270 posts, read 555,690 times

Advertisements

Howdy peeps,

I've always been one to believe South Louisiana is the place to be and the northern part of the state is an afterthought. However I'm willing to reconsider my opinions. Let me give you some background on myself:

-I love the laid back atmosphere
-I'm a huge LSU/Saints fan
-I enjoy cajun culture
-I do NOT enjoy crazy drinking parties and I think it's a shame that Catholicism turns its back to drinking
-I am a Christian who takes my faith very seriously
-I am pro-family

Let me hear some good North Louisiana selling points and that goes to Central Louisiana as well.

Have a blessed day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 PM

15,826 posts, read 23,896,067 times
There's a difference between drinking and wild drinking.

I like the scenery up there.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Thank you. Are there a lot of festivals like down in the south? So far the north isn't supporting it's claim that it is every bit as good as the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's a difference between drinking and wild drinking.

I like the scenery up there.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,057,030 times
The scenery up there is beautiful. I love all the pine forests and...I'll call them very large hills. Mt. Driskill is well worth hiking. Also, check out Lake Larto. Very picturesque and excellent place to fish.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Thank you. Are there a lot of festivals like down in the south? So far the north isn't supporting it's claim that it is every bit as good as the south.
Not as much, no. Not alot of people here to defend N La.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Yes it definetely is pretty. I used to live in East Texas and they have a similar landscape. It's too bad they are not into all of those great festivals like we see in the south. This is probably one reason why the south is better, or so it would seem. I say that simply because there hasn't been a lot of interest generated from people from the northern part of the state.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Neither region is better. Their culture is different from ours down south. It's MUCH less populated above Opelousas, and not nearly as much going on as far as economic developments.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM

974 posts, read 2,063,480 times
The nice thing about NW La. is that it's just 3 hours drive to Dallas. LoL!

Sorry, couldn't help it as I prefer that area to here but I have family responsibilities that, once they end.... I'm outta here.

Look, if your life is focused on family, church, Red River Revel, Crawfish boils and LSU BBQ gameday parties....you'll fit right in. If you hope to find a community with a thriving younger, progressive-thinking population...think again 'cuz it will be sometime before that happens as most young folks with college degrees move elsewhere due to better starting salaries and wages. That is unless they're doctors or O&G techs working the Haynesville Shale.
Check out our population demographics and median-income levels... not as high when compared to DFW, OKC, LR, Houston, Austin, etc.

The area's population is mostly older, lower-income / hourly wage earners or retirees. The area does make a decent retirement community considering the major medical campus of LSU-HSC / Shreveport, a level-one trauma ctr as well as a large medical industry made up of 2 businesses: WK & Christus-Shumpert.

While we do have Cyber Center (not Cyber Command 'cuz that went to Texas)... we are probably losing GM. Manufacturing has taken a hit here since the late 1980's and of the top 50 privately held companies, 20 were automotive related (dealerships, supply, support,etc.). We do have the Haynesville Shale but NG prices at an all-time low for the forseeable future will slow that down somewhat. Rigs are being relocated and focusing on Oil due to the spike there. Pipeline work should remain steady as will fraccing because of the craziness in paying huge lease amounts in 2008. Right now.... not much leasing is going on as the companies have to develop what they got and as cheaply as possible to tie up leases for 10 yrs.

Area has good housing in the $150 - $200K range and properties in that range are holding value. Larger and more expensive homes... they have been sitting on the market a lot longer due to not a lot of shoppers in that market. I personally know of 5 folks who got "upside down" on their big homes and had to short-sell to get out from under them.

I think a lot has to do with your personal "circle", what you do for a living, how much you make, what your expectations are of the 3rd largest metro in La. But people tell me they call it "big-LITTLE-town"... People tend to focus on their neighborhoods and not really engage other areas of the city too much.

Lower cost of living, plenty of outdoor stuff to do like hunting / fishing, boating. Our city streets suck as they've been beat to death and you feel like your riding on crossties in some blvds. Lots of franchise restaurants if Applebees, Chilis, Logan's and Red Lobster / Olive Garden is your things. Some good local owned restaurants but we sure could use more.

Bossier gets the better schools and newer subdivisions and is generally perceived as less crime and less politically screwed up as Shreveport / Caddo Parish. Caddo Schools have had problems for years and they are facing some tough times ahead.

If you're a younger person looking for better community amenities, better roads, more upscale job opportunities outside of O&G or medical... you might want to look elsewhere. If you insist on staying in Louisiana... well I suppose you could do worse.

My2Cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City