U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,571,943 times

Advertisements

The day to day life in Shreveport is not that bad. It's just a shame it has such a horrid reputation. There are cities in this state and in this country that are more racist, more religious, more republican, more right wing than this one is. I'm not going going to get into a sparring match on this but You know and I know that is the truth.

The only thing that SBC suffers from the most (which could be the answer to all its woes) is its low standard of cleanliness, orderliness, keeping things in repair, etc. Places that are really doing well have some personal city standards for themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 AM

974 posts, read 2,060,291 times
True that hdwell. It's like my uncle used to say, if it weren't for Mississippi, Louisiana wouldn't have anything to brag about. What always gets me is whenever I travel and drive back to Louisiana, the first thing I notice is how bumpy the road is after I cross the Texas state line. And even when I'm driving through S'port, I take notice of all the bumpy main roads. A friend of mine who used to work with showing off the city to company reps who were visiting here to check out the city for relocation would always hear comments from the guests about how bad our streets were. The thing they'd glean from this is if our roads are this bad, how bad is our overall infrastructure? And they'd comment on the downtown areas that were boarded up or falling apart. It's been this way as long as I can remember.

We may think our Strawn's pie and crawfish and arts festivals are great and that things here are perfect. But it helps to look at things from an outsider's point of view.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM

3,248 posts, read 8,626,760 times
Its the mentatilty of the city. The city has actually decline from its golden age due to the crack epidemic. The city could still be a new powerhouse if only the mentality of the people will change,

Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 PM

430 posts, read 414,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
True that hdwell. It's like my uncle used to say, if it weren't for Mississippi, Louisiana wouldn't have anything to brag about. What always gets me is whenever I travel and drive back to Louisiana, the first thing I notice is how bumpy the road is after I cross the Texas state line. And even when I'm driving through S'port, I take notice of all the bumpy main roads. A friend of mine who used to work with showing off the city to company reps who were visiting here to check out the city for relocation would always hear comments from the guests about how bad our streets were. The thing they'd glean from this is if our roads are this bad, how bad is our overall infrastructure? And they'd comment on the downtown areas that were boarded up or falling apart. It's been this way as long as I can remember.

We may think our Strawn's pie and crawfish and arts festivals are great and that things here are perfect. But it helps to look at things from an outsider's point of view.
Just move to Monroe......ugh, pessimist

Old 06-23-2012, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,325 times
[quote=hdwell;22556481]The day to day life in Shreveport is not that bad. It's just a shame it has such a horrid reputation. There are cities in this state and in this country that are more racist, more religious, more republican, more right wing than this one is. I'm not going going to get into a sparring match on this but You know and I know that is the truth.

So if we had fewer churchs and more left wing democrats all would be fine? Odd way of looking at things. We could be Detroit? Most people live here because they are content enough or they are just waiting to get a better job in Texas. The politicians are just that and spend time rewarding a small group which changes from time to time and then does the same thing. People put up with it just like they do everywhere else. NW Louisiana should be in Texas anyway. Anything north of Alec is worthless to Baton Rouge.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,571,943 times
[quote=Texas Partisan Ranger;24869702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The day to day life in Shreveport is not that bad. It's just a shame it has such a horrid reputation. There are cities in this state and in this country that are more racist, more religious, more republican, more right wing than this one is. I'm not going going to get into a sparring match on this but You know and I know that is the truth.

So if we had fewer churchs and more left wing democrats all would be fine? Odd way of looking at things. We could be Detroit? Most people live here because they are content enough or they are just waiting to get a better job in Texas. The politicians are just that and spend time rewarding a small group which changes from time to time and then does the same thing. People put up with it just like they do everywhere else. NW Louisiana should be in Texas anyway. Anything north of Alec is worthless to Baton Rouge.
I did not say more left wing dems and fewer churches. Many of our southern cities do just fine without them. They are conservative to the bone yet they are progressing in a way ours isn't. We don't have the cleanliness, higher property standards, etc. that they do. Look at Tulsa, Okc, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Charleston, Columbia, etc. We could do so much better in that department, but we choose not to. Shreveport just lost its baseball team again, the Captains. No sports! Very little for people to do that like spectator sports.

The only thing people like doing around here is hunting, fishing, Walmart, church and ATV riding. Telling about the educational level we have around here.

In short, its' up to us to develop our city into greatness. We can't depend on BR, Dallas, etc. for that. And everyone here needs a stake in developing it. It is up to us to get involved. The political land deal people have destroyed this area and we have sat idly by and allowed it. Shame on NW La.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 8,626,760 times
The mayor and city council shoud visit Charlotte, Greensboro, or Knoxville and see how the city is developing lofts in the inner city. Attracting more retail and making the city look like a dump. With all the shale money, I do not know what has happen to a once great city.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 PM

15,809 posts, read 23,823,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Partisan Ranger View Post

Exactly why Shreveport has been going downward.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM

53 posts, read 116,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The mayor and city council shoud visit Charlotte, Greensboro, or Knoxville and see how the city is developing lofts in the inner city. Attracting more retail and making the city look like a dump. With all the shale money, I do not know what has happen to a once great city.
Shreveport has three loft developments going in downtown right now, most notably the old Ogilvie Hardware building, which a Dallas development company is turning into loft apartments.

You don't even live here anymore, so you really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

15,809 posts, read 23,823,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastinaway View Post
You don't even live here anymore, so you really don't know what you're talking about.
That argument is horribly invalid with today's technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City