U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM

210 posts, read 401,478 times

Advertisements

Why is this section so dead? So few new topics get posted. Is shreveport on the decline?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM

15,886 posts, read 24,113,606 times
Either not as much is going on, or people just aren't posting them. One would think New Orleans is stagnant by looking at its forum but the SSP thread is very active.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM

3,047 posts, read 7,620,509 times
Shreveporters never get on this site for some reason. I have had to carry the load for so long I'm tired of it.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM

I would think that lots of posts would be made as many people pass through the city.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 PM

15,886 posts, read 24,113,606 times
Driving through on I-20?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM

38 posts, read 99,553 times
Shreveport/BC is a hidden gem and highly underrated. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :P

Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpatsu View Post
Shreveport/BC is a hidden gem and highly underrated. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :P
I can see your point. Only stayed the night in shreveport once but it looked really nice.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,432,523 times
I lived in Shreveport for almost 4 years (military took me there). It's a good enough metro area for people who have family ties or have lived there all their lives (familiarity), or have competitive jobs (energy, health care, military). Other than those three, it is viewed by the collective majority as a "tread-water" town with a black population percentage that is unattractive to the majority of white posters on this website, a perception of bad schools (somewhat true) again due to low income tax base and demographics, and generally a lack of enthusiasm for the place because as I have already pointed out, the areas for competitive income are limited. Brain drain from the Shreveport area is also very well recognized. And not to beat a dead horse, but once again, ultimately potential transplants view places like Shreveport as a "majority black city" and that's the kiss of death to a place. And let's not bring in Atlanta into the discussion, we all know the metro of Atlanta has it's own history and appeal but the overwhelming majority of that cities overlying suburban jungle is white.

There's much worse areas in the country than the SBC area, but to be sure if it hadn't been for the military I would have never considered the area. Hypothetically speaking, if I was going to tread water making non-competitive money, I would do so in an area like Orlando FL or Austin, TX. Plenty of crappy jobs there too. But a much more secular environment and a much more vibrant singles scene. ...and I'm Catholic, so it's not like Im an agnostic hippie with a bone to pick. I always joked with my military friends that Shreveport was a BYOF town [bring your own family] because there's simply no single people worth entertaining in that place, again due to brain drain and no jobs when they finish college. I think only people from certain areas of Louisiana and Nebraska believe America is actually that conservative of a Country, that holding on to a religious driven social scene is actually desirable to the competitive college graduates that will become the future middle class tax base. There's preferences like the shades of a rainbow to be sure, but I'm trying to speak for the relative lack of activity regarding Shreveport on this forum. It's a tread water town. It treated me well, notwithstanding I got divorced there (she wasn't from Louisiana either, so it's non-relevant to Shreveport as a place). It was fine for what I did during those 3 years, but it was stagnant and not very welcoming to more secular lifestyles.

You want more chirping on here about SBC? Open it up. Drop the pseudo-antebellum social mentality, figure out a way to sustain the economy in ways other than "pick up and leave in 10 years" oil jobs that bring in transients, and you'll see a younger face starting to ping about the place. But that's not Shreveport. SBC is a somewhat sleepy, safe bet for those who prefer a more Southern social class dynamics with relative low cost of living and a place good enough to launch their kids into the Country's marketplace and then get the eff out. For the rest, well you have this forum's [lack of] activity to tell the story. Houston, Dallas et al might be concrete jungles, but the're still much better platforms from which to launch your life. That's not me conjecturing, that's Shreveport's educated youth picking up mailing zip codes there. To each their own.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM

443 posts, read 1,508,728 times
That's well stated Hindsight. This is generally a forum about prospective people moving to an area. Not many people have a reason to move to Shreveport, therefore, no activity. I can name off over a 100 people that I know of that are in my little circle of acquaintances who have left Shreveport for DFW. I see lots of Texas tags in the area with Rountree or Champion dealership tags. People move where the jobs are. That's why Johnny's Pizza is trying so hard to expand into Houston and Dallas.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM

3,047 posts, read 7,620,509 times
Since I'm one who stays for "familiarity" I guess I'll be here for the duration. I'm not young; at 56 (no, 50 ain't the new 30) I regret not having left when I was young. As it was things did work out for me in my favor; however, Shreve is just not a town (city) you can sink your teeth into.

I love Louisiana but that doesn't mean I don't recognize the obvious flaws. I do my share of criticizing the pols however they are just a reflection of the citizens. Shreveport and Bossier share equally in the blame for what they are. Of course BC is a nice city for where and what it is, but still doesn't have the intense activity it could. The local citizenry and pols collectively won't and don't deal with the issues that have kept the area from being all it could be. There is that malaise called Shreveportitis that still exists. Racial problems and just plain ol' "that doesn't concern me" attitudes have probably driven more young away than even the lack of jobs.

I believe that a city is only as successful as how the people present themselves. Does Shreve have a can do attitude? No, people only say "It won't work here". A zoo for crying out loud!!!!! Other things we have obtained by the hardest such as a skate park, dog walk park, etc. just has a slew of complainers.

Here is where Shreveport or at least a segment spends much of its time at on the internet. In the local Shreveport Times website in a forum called "Faith in Northwest Louisiana" has regulars that trade barbs on the correct bible interpretation and who's religion is "right". Good God! No input into anything else on that site. Sad sad sad. But those posters on that forum just love doing that. I don't believe they know enough about anything else and won't learn anything on their own. Their only claim to fame is what they can refute on religious matters. Sad sad sad!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City