U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,039 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband recently accepted a job opportunity in Shreveport and we are looking to move there from NW Oklahoma within the next couple of months. We have a son who is only 2 and would like to live in a safe neiborhood with good schools. Can anyone give us advice on where these might be? We would even look at towns outside the city such as Benton. Anyone know what Benton is like? We appreciate any advice we can get!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 07:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,211,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karih View Post
Hi! My husband recently accepted a job opportunity in Shreveport and we are looking to move there from NW Oklahoma within the next couple of months. We have a son who is only 2 and would like to live in a safe neiborhood with good schools. Can anyone give us advice on where these might be? We would even look at towns outside the city such as Benton. Anyone know what Benton is like? We appreciate any advice we can get!
I'm from Baton Rouge (250 miles away) but I know there's been a lot of development in Benton over the last decade. And the majority of that development seems to be nice houses.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,984 times
Benton is a good distance from Shreveport, so if you looking outside of Shreveport I would go to the rural Keithville or even Bossier.
One of the best neighborhoods in Shreveport is Broadmoor, on the east side. Not only is the school system good, but LSUS is located in that area--for future reference.
There are some nice neighborhoods in south Shreveport, as well. I think the better one is called Southern Hills. This neighborhood is close to Keithville but not too far from central Shreveport.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,726 times
I live in New Orleans but am from Shreveport lived there my whole life until three years ago.Broadmoor is a gerat area and great schools. I would not live in Southern Hills property values are lower it is not a very desirable area but you can find some decent housing. Shreveport has grown a great deal the last few months. Most desirable area is Broadmoor and other neighborhoods around that area. Bossier City is also great.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:15 PM

772 posts, read 4,243,784 times
Yeah, Southern Hills is a no-go for most people... it seems people are moving out of that area. It's sad, but it's true.

I guess location all depends on exactly what area your husband's job will be in. North Shreveport, south Shreveport, west Shreveport, downtown, south Bossier, North Bossier, central Bossier, east Bossier, etc. Benton is a VERY nice place to be these days, as are north and east Bossier and south Shreveport. It's all relative to where work is located if you don't want a long commute. My daily commute is a half-hour in the mornings and the same in the evenings. I commute from Haughton (east Bossier) to south Shreveport every day.

Shreveport-Bossier is an awesome place to live with many dynamics. There will always be good and bad in any city, but it's not hard to find a nice place to live here. You can pretty-much drive the neighborhoods around here and get a good feel for them almost automatically.

If you ever need any assistance, feel free to message me.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 PM

11 posts, read 49,912 times
Default Haughton!

You live in Haughton? Get out of town!

I lived in Haughton from age 9 to 18. My Dad still lives in Espanita Forest. Does the term "Red Chute" ring a bell?

That's still a nice area out there East of Bossier City.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersbh View Post
You live in Haughton? Get out of town!

I lived in Haughton from age 9 to 18. My Dad still lives in Espanita Forest. Does the term "Red Chute" ring a bell?

That's still a nice area out there East of Bossier City.
I'm very familiar with Red Chute and Espanita Forest. I live in Haughton proper, not far from the high school.

Actually you're right, this IS still a nice area from the Bossier City limits all the way out. Lots of new developments are on the way... stores, restaurants, more subdivisions, etc. They're really building up FAST where I live, around Cornerstone and the brand-new Tuscany Crossing and Tuscany Villas.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 93,544 times
For schools, stay in southeast Shreveport as far south as you can manage. Check out the schools on the internet.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 PM

Youree Drive Middle is a good school, as is Captain Shreve High. I'm not sure about elementary... ShreveportNative, any idea?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 25,163 times
I am a native. Best advice is to try to live in Bossier or Webster Parish. Minden is a good community and the Woodhaven area has some great top level homes for a good price. As more move in to Bossier, values will appreciate in Webster. It is not a bad commute. Shreveport, though lovely in places and the town of my youth, is on a downhill slide. Do not let anyone try to tell you otherwise. I lived there for decades and the decline in the past twenty years is starting to show yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City