U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 12,527 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to be stationed at Barksdale AFB. Looking for as much info as possible about the area ..Where are the best schools (have 2 elementary school kids), where do most people with horses live, is moving to the Texas side better/worse ..where is the best place to find info on the housing market?

Thanks for all the help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 AM

18 posts, read 41,085 times
Default Lurking...

My daughter and her future husband will be there in May. So I'm wondering myself about Barksdale and housing.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 AM

42 posts, read 317,138 times
The schools you want for your young kids are Benton, Haughton, or North Bossier, in that order. All of the following elementary schools are desirable:

Benton Elementary
Legacy
Platt/Rodes in Haughton
Apollo

W.T. Lewis is acceptable, but I would go with any of the above first if possible.

I have two (soon to be three) kids at Benton Elementary & we absolutely love it. Very small town feel, wonderful teachers and staff, can't say enough good things about it, and I am ONE PICKY MOMMY. lol.

We live in the Cypress Lake area of Benton in Smithland Estates. Very, very quiet, secluded, peaceful area. I highly recommend the less populated areas of Benton (Crouch Road/Linton Bellevue Road area) if you're looking for peace & quiet. Haughton has some nice, quieter areas as well. If you're looking for a more populated subdivision type area, Legacy, which is right on the North Bossier/Benton line, and Dogwood South in Haughton are both excellent neighborhoods.

I have a great recommendation for a realty company if that would be helpful to you, but you'll have to PM me for that info since mentioning the name of the company violates the City-Data TOS.

Good luck with the move. We've been in Benton since August 2010 & really love it here.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM

237 posts, read 571,586 times
Default Schools/Commute

I wouldn't live in Texas as there are areas near the base where you can keep your horses.

As far as schools go, WT is more than 'acceptable' and you can look at the school ratings here.

It all depends on what you want in a neighborhood and community. We didn't want to be reliant on base so we live close to shopping near our home and hit base for shopping less than 4 times per month.

I'd contact a few realtors and see who's willing to work with your needs. There are also some military sale/rent sites that you can view to find homes.
Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,156,681 times
I think the previous posters have good advice, on living out a ways. We just left Barksdale and I felt housing was a rip-off, esp compared to other places we lived. For rentals that accepted dogs in our BAH, we had 3 houses to choose from, 2 of them were run down and crappy; one was in a great neighborhood but every room had carpet stains, the toilets broke a couple times, the AC went out in the summer, all the baseboards were scratched up and wallpaper was peeling off. And that was the BEST we could do on E-5. If you buy you can go nicer, but I still think esp if you buy closer to base you are going to pay too much. We didn't buy because where we are now, we can get a bigger, better, newer, cleaner house for almost half price!! They told us in a briefing that because of the base and the Global Strike build up, housing did NOT crash there like many other parts of the country. He (the briefer) told us that people expect to get a huge awesome house for next to nothing and they get some sticker shock.

When we were leaving, tons of houses in our neighborhood were going on the market, for lease, rent, and sale; compared to when we first got there, when there was maybe 1 or 2, now there were close to 8 or 9. So perhaps the market will be more favorable for you.

I know there's a military housing network you can look at for rentals - can't recall if they do sales. I'm sure I can't put the link on here but if you PM me, if you are interested, I can send it to you. You may already know about it.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

595 posts, read 1,095,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
The schools you want for your young kids are Benton, Haughton, or North Bossier, in that order. All of the following elementary schools are desirable:

Benton Elementary
Legacy
Platt/Rodes in Haughton
Apollo

W.T. Lewis is acceptable, but I would go with any of the above first if possible.

I have two (soon to be three) kids at Benton Elementary & we absolutely love it. Very small town feel, wonderful teachers and staff, can't say enough good things about it, and I am ONE PICKY MOMMY. lol.

We live in the Cypress Lake area of Benton in Smithland Estates. Very, very quiet, secluded, peaceful area. I highly recommend the less populated areas of Benton (Crouch Road/Linton Bellevue Road area) if you're looking for peace & quiet. Haughton has some nice, quieter areas as well. If you're looking for a more populated subdivision type area, Legacy, which is right on the North Bossier/Benton line, and Dogwood South in Haughton are both excellent neighborhoods.

I have a great recommendation for a realty company if that would be helpful to you, but you'll have to PM me for that info since mentioning the name of the company violates the City-Data TOS.

Good luck with the move. We've been in Benton since August 2010 & really love it here.
I totally agree with this Picky Mommy ,We just moved outside Benton of Crouch Rd. and You can't bet it,We love it here.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM

18 posts, read 41,085 times
Default Someone mentioned rentals/sales from military

I can't find any information on it. My daughter and future son-in-law would like to find an apt. off base. Can you suggest a site so we can looking at rentals?

They're very young, she just finishing last two years of college.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Sites

Rentals.com
Padmapper.com
MilitaryByOwner.com

The Villaggio is nice and new.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,527 times
I think we are leaning towards living on base. Can anyone give me good reasons to NOT do that.
our reasoning is:
close to work
"all inclusive" utilities
safe place for the kids to play
my wife will board her horses near by, so she will have "horse friends" to go ride with ..etc ..etc

we've never lived in apartments or anything like (we're used to farm type area), but where we live now is more like "red neck" central ..and we're tired of living in this type of area, and with our budget, we don't think we'd be able to live in much nicer.

Thank you all for the advise ..ALL is helpful

Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 AM

We've seen the newer houses inside and they were ok, but there are some with mold and holes and structural issues. One friend just moved to another home this week after dealing with this situation for months.
Another family I knew in new housing just bought and moved off base.
I'd stick to looking at newer housing for your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City