U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 PM

24 posts, read 49,556 times

Advertisements

I'm responding to this kind of late. At this point you may already be here, or after some of the negative posts you may have decided not to move here. You have to take some of these comments with a grain of salt, and yes it does take quite a while to get a response on this forum.

The only reason that I am responding now, is that I don't feel like you got a worthwhile response at all. One reason is that it's probably been discussed in other posts, however, sometimes its hard to go through all of that searching to get your questions answered.

1. What are some of the good daycares in the area. We need someone that will stay open until at least 5:30 or 6pm. We need some place that is clean and loving. Also somewhere that teaches and interacts with the children.

There are quite a few daycares that are good in the Bossier area. I'm not very familiar with Shreveport. You need to get on their "lists" well in advance because sometimes it can be quite frustrating to get into one of them. Most of them do their "advancements" around August, so that's always a good month to shoot for to get in.

First Baptist Kids Academy (formerly Wee Center)
Cypress Baptist Church Daycare
Cornerstone
Bedrock Academy

These "daycares" are very safe and secure, and are in pretty decent parts of town. They also have what you are looking for as far as interacting with/teaching the children.

2. We plan to stay in an apartment for at least a year to find some neighborhoods to our likings. Is Island Park a good apartment complex? I noticed that it was a bit pricey for an apartment and the parking seems to be a nightmare. Are there any apartments that are cheaper and still somewhat safe? Are there any good houses for rent not asking for $2000 and above?

Island Park is fine, one thing that you'll learn is that there are no shortage of apartments. There are also quite a few on Millicent Way (Millicent Crossing, Raintree, Laurel Parc) close to Highland Hospital. Most of those are very affordable, but you'll have to put up with a younger crowd - but they are safe. There are plenty of houses to rent as well. You would be able to find a very nice home for less that $2000/mt. Especially in the Broadmoor area.

3. The first two questions set up this question. Where should we look to buy a house in regards to a good school system for the children. We are years away from them being in school but we would like to
get the ball rolling on that.

You need to live in North Bossier / Benton area. If your kids will be going to public school, then there is no option other than Bossier schools. They are currently opening two brand new elementary schools to fill the demand of all of the people moving to Bossier. After living in Shreveport for around 17 years, I moved across the river, and I am much happier. The city is managed better, and the education system is better. In my opinion the further north you are in Bossier, the better the schools get. Legacy, Stockwell, WT Lewis, are all great schools, and by the time your little ones are of age Kingston Elementary and Turtle Creek Elementary will be open as well.

4. Are there any progressive multicultural or African American churches in the area. The church that I am leaving held 4 services on Sunday which was very convenient for me since I usually work on Sunday afternoons. I would like a church that gets out before 1pm.

I agree with most of the posters here, The Simple Church comes to mind (multi cultural, progressive, 3 services). I wouldn't call it a "mega church" though. It definitely doesn't have that "feel" of a mega church, it's very modern approach to religion - It's a Baptist rooted non-denominational church. As far as a progressive African American church, I would say a popular one around would be The Source Inspirational Worship Center.

5. I was able to check out a few restaurants during my time touring the area. I absolutely love Shane's. The catfish was seasoned very well. Does anyone know if that is secret season or if that is something I can go buy from Walmart or somewhere. Are there any good BBQ restaurants around...I was not happy with Podnuh's.

The seasoning on their fish is "Louisiana Fish Fry" last I heard. I asked the same question once to one of their employees.

Jack's BBQ on N Market, Joe Cobbs BBQ in Bossier, Bodacious BBQ in S. Bossier, and Hickory Stick in Shreveport are my personal favorites.Podnuh's is a chain, and I am not much of a fan either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,564,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dough View Post
I'm responding to this kind of late. At this point you may already be here, or after some of the negative posts you may have decided not to move here. You have to take some of these comments with a grain of salt, and yes it does take quite a while to get a response on this forum.

The only reason that I am responding now, is that I don't feel like you got a worthwhile response at all. One reason is that it's probably been discussed in other posts, however, sometimes its hard to go through all of that searching to get your questions answered.

1. What are some of the good daycares in the area. We need someone that will stay open until at least 5:30 or 6pm. We need some place that is clean and loving. Also somewhere that teaches and interacts with the children.

There are quite a few daycares that are good in the Bossier area. I'm not very familiar with Shreveport. You need to get on their "lists" well in advance because sometimes it can be quite frustrating to get into one of them. Most of them do their "advancements" around August, so that's always a good month to shoot for to get in.

First Baptist Kids Academy (formerly Wee Center)
Cypress Baptist Church Daycare
Cornerstone
Bedrock Academy

These "daycares" are very safe and secure, and are in pretty decent parts of town. They also have what you are looking for as far as interacting with/teaching the children.

2. We plan to stay in an apartment for at least a year to find some neighborhoods to our likings. Is Island Park a good apartment complex? I noticed that it was a bit pricey for an apartment and the parking seems to be a nightmare. Are there any apartments that are cheaper and still somewhat safe? Are there any good houses for rent not asking for $2000 and above?

Island Park is fine, one thing that you'll learn is that there are no shortage of apartments. There are also quite a few on Millicent Way (Millicent Crossing, Raintree, Laurel Parc) close to Highland Hospital. Most of those are very affordable, but you'll have to put up with a younger crowd - but they are safe. There are plenty of houses to rent as well. You would be able to find a very nice home for less that $2000/mt. Especially in the Broadmoor area.

$2K to rent is insane unless you are talking 6 bedroom or something. My father rents a couple of houses (older, from the 50's, 2 or 3 bedroom, IIRC, but in good shape) for about $450-650/mo in a decent area off Jefferson Paige (both are occupied). Island Park for a multi-bedroom is more than a reasonable housenote. Again, I find this absurd, financially.

3. The first two questions set up this question. Where should we look to buy a house in regards to a good school system for the children. We are years away from them being in school but we would like to
get the ball rolling on that.

You need to live in North Bossier / Benton area. If your kids will be going to public school, then there is no option other than Bossier schools. They are currently opening two brand new elementary schools to fill the demand of all of the people moving to Bossier. After living in Shreveport for around 17 years, I moved across the river, and I am much happier. The city is managed better, and the education system is better. In my opinion the further north you are in Bossier, the better the schools get. Legacy, Stockwell, WT Lewis, are all great schools, and by the time your little ones are of age Kingston Elementary and Turtle Creek Elementary will be open as well.

The further North you go, the better everything gets. I can agree with that, but I don't know much about schools. My highschool here was a total WASP school. It's gone though. I really think the quality of education here depends on the quality of the student. Moreso than other areas.

4. Are there any progressive multicultural or African American churches in the area. The church that I am leaving held 4 services on Sunday which was very convenient for me since I usually work on Sunday afternoons. I would like a church that gets out before 1pm.

I agree with most of the posters here, The Simple Church comes to mind (multi cultural, progressive, 3 services). I wouldn't call it a "mega church" though. It definitely doesn't have that "feel" of a mega church, it's very modern approach to religion - It's a Baptist rooted non-denominational church. As far as a progressive African American church, I would say a popular one around would be The Source Inspirational Worship Center.

I went to one "Black church" here as a kid one time. I hate to sound like "that White guy", but I don't know what else you call a church where only Black people go? Anyway, the people there were very friendly. I was young, so that's about all I recall, is feeling comfortable there and being treated politely. It was located off of Greenwood Rd. just West of the Fairgrounds. I don't know the name or if it's still there.

5. I was able to check out a few restaurants during my time touring the area. I absolutely love Shane's. The catfish was seasoned very well. Does anyone know if that is secret season or if that is something I can go buy from Walmart or somewhere. Are there any good BBQ restaurants around...I was not happy with Podnuh's.

The seasoning on their fish is "Louisiana Fish Fry" last I heard. I asked the same question once to one of their employees.

Jack's BBQ on N Market, Joe Cobbs BBQ in Bossier, Bodacious BBQ in S. Bossier, and Hickory Stick in Shreveport are my personal favorites.Podnuh's is a chain, and I am not much of a fan either.
I used to work for a guy named Harvey Clay. He is a really good person, but running a car dealership never was his calling, and he left Ford to go and open his own BBQ place. From everything I hear, it's epic.I googled it and it's called "Real BBQ Place". Anyway, Harvey is a helluva nice guy, and though I have not eaten there, I can promise you that if you're not happy with it, talk to him before you leave, and you will at least leave happy! One of the nicest/most humanitarian people I have worked for (probably why the dealership wasn't for him. Too many snakes in that pond).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Real-...77593935590194
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City