U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM

974 posts, read 2,062,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastinaway View Post
I really wish I had the money. I would take a dead section of downtown and build mixed-income housing, along with storefront space and I would market the hell out of it. Even if there was just a Walgreen's on a corner downtown near some of the apartment complexes, it would make a huge difference. Or even an urbanized Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market.
I think your idea has merit. Unfortunately a lot of what will happen downtown will be for "income-restricted" occupants (read: Low-Income). This is how the developers get the tax incentives / grants to do business.
The problem with the current development models is that they depend on the "build-it-and-this-should-happen" theory; build apartments and retail SHOULD follow. But the truth is there just isn't the incentive for someone to make the investment and take a chance. The developments should include a retail component but no one has been smart enough to figure that out yet. Instead the DDA, DSU and all the cheerleaders are hoping for some corporate angel investor to develop the retail because of all the tenants they hope to attract downtown. But for reasons I've mentioned in previous posts, if a majority of your downtown population is low(er) income, what types of retail are you going to put down there? Lower-income folks can just as easily drive to Wal-Mart on S'port-B'dale than pay higher retail downtown. It's not that hard to figure out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM

News is the Ogilvie Hardware bldg near downtown will be leasing soon as completion nears. As stated in previous comments,the rehabbed bldg has income restrictions to what is being called: " Work-Force Housing" and according tothe news article is further described as: ". . . (bldg) is being reserved for those who earn 30 to 60 percent of the Shreveport-Bossier area's annual median income . . . of $25,000 to $30,000." This is for a family of two.

Rents are $575 to $685 a month. If you're interested, here's a newspaper article link: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM

53 posts, read 116,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
News is the Ogilvie Hardware bldg near downtown will be leasing soon as completion nears. As stated in previous comments,the rehabbed bldg has income restrictions to what is being called: " Work-Force Housing" and according tothe news article is further described as: ". . . (bldg) is being reserved for those who earn 30 to 60 percent of the Shreveport-Bossier area's annual median income . . . of $25,000 to $30,000." This is for a family of two.

Rents are $575 to $685 a month. If you're interested, here's a newspaper article link: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp
How does a family of two who makes so little afford nearly $700/month? Maybe I just don't see it, because I really am crappy at math.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM

3,248 posts, read 8,632,779 times
When is Shreveport going to build a major hi rise condo like other cities ot size and smaller

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,579,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Yeah, really! Considering that Little Rock is the state capital, there's a number of
agencies and firms catering to the state gov. that attract degreed professionals.

Better airfares to be had out of LR airport than Shreveport, could be Southwest Airlines
has something to do with that. In Shreveport, we're held hostage to "business-class fares".

Major corporations call Little Rock home, Dillards, Windstream Communications, Acxiom to
name three. Other corporations have major presence there such as Raytheon Aircraft,
Dassault Falcon Jet and major financial information services. Couple other things to consider
is Arkansas Children's Hospital, which is a major regional medical facility and nationally known
for its work with pediatrics and a major burn center too. There's a lot of research going on
at that campus and it's not slowing down. Also have major universities there too like the
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, UALR, Smith College and Ark. Baptist.

Forbes mag. cited Little Rock as #22 among best cities to do business just because of what
I've mentioned and more. Keep in mind it's on a major river that they actually do commerce
on too. So yeah, Little Rock has a lot going for it. They just don't brag too much about
what they got not that anyone in Louisiana would pay much attention anyhow.
I'm sure LR would be a fine choice for the right person. I have been there to shop and visit some old friends; however I just couldn't see living there.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When is Shreveport going to build a major hi rise condo like other cities ot size and smaller
Other cities Shreveport's size and smaller are NOT building major high-rise condos. Know what you're talking about before you talk, and stop trolling.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Speaking of LR, I always fly out of there when I'm flying a good distance. It's just as close as DFW and the airport is MUCH smaller than dealing with DFW.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Not sure if this is what you mean but Shreveport has two "high-rise" condo/apartment buildings. They've been around for decades. First, there's the Fairmont Towers Apartments at 726 Cotton Street. It's the big brick bldg and was built in 1952. Rent starts around $525. Then there's the Highland View Apartments next door to KSLA TV. I think these were actually called Fountainbleau Apts at one time. Highland View Apartments - Shreveport, LA Guiseppe Brucia was a chef in the bottom floor restaurant called Firenze's back in the day. Both these buildings have served as high-rise residencies for decades. So you see Shreveport has had some high-rise living for some time.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,579,318 times
Ok, yeah. I remember the roundish apartment building; the apartments were known as "The Fountain" or Fountain towers. They were efficiencies for the most part. Kind of cool. I've only been in the Fairmont as far as the desk in front. Seems that they were once called "The downtowner" or something like that. I also remember the place on the corner of Milam and Common which was kind of a motel where a bunch of men lived. It wasn't exactly a savory place. One summer I delivered newspapers to these places on sunday.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM

The downtown Fairmont Tower has been associated with lower-income types and doesn't have a good reputation as a quality apartment. There's a number of things about it which I won't go into. The old apt. down the street is abandoned except for the few vagrants that flop there from time-to-time. And there was another old apt just to the north that was bought by a guy who renovated the string of bldgs but I think he kicked the tenants out eventually. He took down the old sign that was a landmark hanging on the corner of the bldg. which I thought was dumb from a nostalgia / historic look. Now the other part of those bldgs have contemporary glass blocks which totally ruined the historic facade. Oh well .... The area just doesn't have a good safe vibe at all.

The Highland (formerly Fountain) has been upgraded a good bit from the old-days. Mostly studio / efficiencies but not a bad apartment. Years ago it was mostly retirees/fixed-income and lower income folks. But there were some working professionals at the nearby hospital who called it home.

With the suburban sprawl that is Shreveport-Bossier, developers who have the money to do a more "urban residential area" seem to opt for open spaces where they have a "clean slate" as far as land development is concerned. It's a lot cheaper / easier to knock out a conventional apt. complex than do anything with existing structures or even try to do something downtown, unless of course you're looking at some sort of tax incentive-based project like the Ogilvie Hardware or Lee Hardware Apts for work-based -income restricted tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City