U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 PM

20 posts, read 24,811 times

Advertisements

Well I recently relocated to the Shreveport area from Florida with my ten year old daughter for job reasons. I am now beginning to think it was a huge mistake and I should have accepted the job in the NorthEast.`I hate it here! The people here in Shreveport seem cold,mean, and they look at you like you are an alien if you are from the outside. I would go back to Florida in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I can't find a job there ,and for the present time I am stuck here.Also, my daughter is being picked on at her school.Is it better for me at this point to just throw in the towel and start looking for employment again outside this area?Is Shreveport just unaccepting of outsiders?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM

20 posts, read 24,811 times
Honestly I was not trying to be negative or put down Shreveport but was seeking honest advice as to whether or not it was just not open to outsiders.Some towns in this country are that way and I would like to find out if this is the case so that I may again consider relocation or maybe there is something I can do to make the situation better for myself and my daughter.I don't want to live in any place where I am isolated and have no friends.It is not to put down Shreveport.I am sure it it a nice area and works very well for some;I am just trying to fiqure out if it can work for me because if it doesn't I want to leave.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 AM

167 posts, read 825,492 times
Ellia10, don't give up so soon! I don't see that you are bashing S'Port but that you are frustrated that no one has adopted you into their circle yet. Being the "new kid" is hard, especially in the South, because there is this assumption that we are all sweet as pie and will invite you over to our house for dinner upon initial meeting. A lot of the S'Port folks are native to the area and have grown up in their circles since childhood. In order to "break in," you have to be assertive. Invite someone from work out to coffee. Invite a parent from your child's class over for dinner. Do what it takes to start making connections. You didn't mention if you are religious, but church is a huge part of north Louisiana culture. Find one that works for you and get plugged in. As far as your daughter is concerned, give her a big hug for me. Bullying is not acceptable. I would be at the principal's door asap discussing the situation. As another poster mentioned, bullying is not a problem just in S'Port. It's happening in schools all across America. The key is to make all her teachers aware of the situation and teach your daughter how to deal with it. And of course, give her lots of hugs and reassuring words. Good luck with your new city.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

974 posts, read 2,060,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellia10 View Post
Honestly I was not trying to be negative or put down Shreveport but was seeking honest advice as to whether or not it was just not open to outsiders.Some towns in this country are that way and I would like to find out if this is the case so that I may again consider relocation or maybe there is something I can do to make the situation better for myself and my daughter.I don't want to live in any place where I am isolated and have no friends.It is not to put down Shreveport.I am sure it it a nice area and works very well for some;I am just trying to fiqure out if it can work for me because if it doesn't I want to leave.
ellia10: I can understand your feelings of isolation and frustration; being new to the area can be a challenge in getting to know people. I'm from here; I moved away as soon as I could (military) then wound up coming back years later for aging parents who had no other support system as I am their only child with no other living relatives. I came back with some reservations as I really prefer a larger city with better amenities & diversity of business for work, etc. I will say there are things I do like here but even though I'm from here I don't "click" with many of the social groups. I'm not into religion or going to church ( I do it for the old folks 'cuz they still go ). I am a moderate politcally speaking but it seems I live among quite a few Tea-party types who are quick on the draw with sharing their politcal beliefs and have a tough time with considering any opposite point-of-view.

If asked for advice on how to develop acquaintances in S'port-Bossier, I'd say:
  • CHURCH -- NW La. is Bible-Belt Central with Southern Baptist the biggest group.
    I've found that while some folks go for spiritual uplift, there's the social networking component
    that is probably as important. The mega-churches have a lot to consider but I've found them too
    much like a "country-club membership" kind of vibe. Thankfully my folks go to a smaller church but
    it's too much like religi-tainment for my tastes.

• SCHOOL -- Try to get involved with school activities for your child and by taking an active interest in what happens extracurricularly may help address some of the "bullying issues" you're child is experiencing. I'd talk to someone at the school right away to address your concerns. One thing I learned from my military experience is to put your concerns in writing, send it to the principal of the school and cc a copy to a "legal file" or even cc a copy to the Superintendent.
    You'd be amazed at how things get noticed when you address something to a commanding officer.

• LIBRARY ACTIVITIES / COMMUNITY GROUPS / CLUBS:
    Find out if your daughter likes to do other things outside of school... does she like arts & crafts? What about children's theater? Swim club, Tae Kwon Do? Riding horses? Check out non-school activities like YMCA, tennis club, city recreation or other resources. Shared interests can unite people faster than anything else I've found.
ONE MORE THING:

I'm not in love with the area, while it's changed in many ways since I lived here as a kid...it still has a certain vibe / attitudes among predominant groups. There's the "good ol' boy / girl" syndrome and while that's true of anywhere, here it is almost stereotypically redneck (and some of those rednecks are degreed, card-carrying professionals too!) If you have alternate views about religion, politics, family-life, etc. ...you will most likely be judged yet smiled at. It's a social charade that is very clique' and you'll know it sooner or later. I know a guy who came here from Ohio is very outspoken and not afraid to have a "discussion" to share views. He's polite but he is a direct communicator. Well that's just something folks around here have a hard time grasping, they are used to a form of "mutual admiration society" mentality and heaven help the person who points out that the emperor has no clothes.

Give it time... try to adjust but always...always trust your gut and keep your doors open. People here may say: "love it or leave it" and while that's one attitude, it certainly doesn't take into consideration your unique experience, I hope some of what I've mentioned may be of some help.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,415,565 times
I lived in the area for nearly 30 years (my whole life). I absolutely hated it. Now that I'm elsewhere I am much happier.

Shreveport is a BIG TIME church going community. If you don't go to church you'll have a tough time befriending somebody. I think BeenThereDunThat said it best when saying they'll judge you with a smile. I have alternate views and I always felt left out of circles because much of what is talked about is what is happening at church or at work. Those just aren't the kind of conversations that interest me! It almost feels like nobody there has any individualism or independent thought. The culture is redneck, serious christian, or gang banger. Pick one or be left out.

Let's not leave out the racial tension up there, which is just so smothering. Much of the area is black, and so many times I had to interact with somebody, it was with a black person that wanted nothing to do with me because I'm white. Many will let the door hit you in the face behind them before they even look at you. Many whites are no different either... whether they'll admit it or not. I couldn't handle it, I'm glad I'm in an area where the tension is not automatically assumed to be there. The difference is so big... I was surprised to hear a random black guy give me a respectful greeting just by passing him on the street and make small talk with me when I came here. I had it engraved in my head for so many years that your race is the only thing that matters to anybody, and if it isn't then they're lying to not look bad. At that moment I thought "Wow I'm glad I'm out of S'port!"

I don't see it changing much either. The area has been pretty stagnant for 30 years with most of the new population coming from East Texas, Arkansas, or other parishes around the area. Anything new has to do with the movie industry or the military.

If none of this is your cup of tea, then yes... you made a mistake moving there. Sorry!!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,121 times
I'm not a fan, but it can take a while to break in. Try the Farmer's Market crowd during the on season, or maybe even the Unitarian Church if you're looking for something a little different.

I go to a non-denominational church that was very welcoming in the beginning. Church at Red River on Flournoy Lucas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City