Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating to Shreveport. My husband is being transferred to work with Benteler Steel, I'm pretty sure their new site is the Port of Caddo-Bossier. We're coming from Aiken, SC (12 hours east of Shreveport).

Like the last few relocation posts, we have one child headed for Kindergarten in the Fall and we need recommendations? Are magnate schools there better than public?

All we've noticed is the housing prices change drastically on one side of the highway over the other. Are there just more ammenities in those areas? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but we can't ask a realtor

What areas do you recommned for a southern loving family of 4? We'd like an area with reasonable elementary school and decent grocery store. Near a park would be phenomenal! What areas do you all the love the most? What's one must do with kids, and one must do for date night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
You may want to consider the following areas... these would be a 15 to 25+/- minute drive to the port depending on time of day.

S. Bossier -- just across Jimmie Davis Bridge and not too far a drive to the Port. Newer neighborhoods, good schools, they're building a rec park on Sligo Rd. I'm partial to S. Bossier as it's where I live. Better infrastructure, and less crime, some would argue better police & fire depts and city govt.

S. Shreveport -- Neighborhoods would be Broadmoor (older) University Terrace (not as old and closer to the port)
Anything around LSUS (4 yr university ...some newer neighborhoods / some slightly older but closer to port).
Use the Youree Drive corridor as your guide. You could check out neighborhoods along Ellerbe Road, Norris Ferry Road in South Shreveport. Don't know what your budget is so for upscale you can check out Southern Trace gated community or Provenance development. These are nicer areas in South Shreveport. Also look at neighborhoods around Flournoy Lucas Rd.

Magnet Schools have good academic reputations, you have to apply to admissions for consideration. Lots of private / church-based academies (Catholic, Episcopalian, Baptist). There's also Southfield School which is private, I don't think it's affiliated with any church.

South Highlands, south of Kings Hwy but do your homework... some areas are better than others....lots of older homes. Shreveport isn't Aiken, S.C. There's not a lot of old, historic homes or preserved historic areas. Shreveport has low marks for historic preservation and isn't like Charleston, more like Columbia in terms of neighborhoods with all the newer neighborhoods on the outer areas.

We have Albertsons, Brookshires, Krogers, Super 1, Super WalMart & Target .... you can get groceries there. Not any "mom & pop" neighborhood groceries but we do have Circle K conenience stores.

Price ranges vary..... some reasons are once you cross a highway, it's a different neighborhood with different demographics & socio-economic dynamics. I'm sure you have such places in Aiken, Columbia, etc. Shreveport is made up of fragmented neighborhoods... some areas are better kept than others.

The Broadmoor neighborhood has A.C. Steere Elementary and a large park next to it. I would suggest you look there first as it is on the 50 yd line as far as Shreveport neighborhoods go. Lots of older homes with charm and a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood vibe. It is sandwiched between Youree Dr. & E. Kings Hwy (which is different than Kings Hwy as E. Kings actually turns south). For date nights you have Youree & 70th St. with restaurants... shopping zones. Movies a little further south on Youree & Bert Kouns. Of course Line Avenue for more upscale eating, shopping, etc. Downtown has some places too like the Robinson Film Theater, Strand theater for Live performances, etc. S. Bossier has CenturyLink Arena which has concerts, sports, special events, etc. and is just off Jimmie Davis Bridge.

Good luck. I'd check different online resources, Tourism & convention bureau, etc.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 01-20-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Whatever happen to the great Sicilian mom and pop stores of Shreveport

Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Fertitta's Deli is still around but it's more of a lunch place with the Muffalletta.
There were such stores in Ledbetter Bottoms, Allendale and Queensborough but they are mostly
gone now. Those that still exist have changed their focus to resembling quick convenience stores
that sell basics but are either liquor / beer & wine / cigarettes for their bread & butter.
Shreveport has lost a lot of that era from the last O&G bust in the 1980's. It's simply not the
same place as it once was for better or worse.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Many of the old Italian corner stores are now owned by middle easterners. I should say most of them.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Yea most of the old charm of places like Fertitta's, Pete Harris Cafe, Herby K's, etc. either no longer exist or is completely different. Shreveport overall just sucks! Its a super segregated town with an overwhelmingly poverty stricken ghetto west of I49 and a closeminded, racist, religious zealot faction east of 49.

Forgive my candor, but you're going to count the days till you can this town...just like my wife and I are. June can't get here soon enough!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVtoATL View Post
Yea most of the old charm of places like Fertitta's, Pete Harris Cafe, Herby K's, etc. either no longer exist or is completely different. Shreveport overall just sucks! Its a super segregated town with an overwhelmingly poverty stricken ghetto west of I49 and a closeminded, racist, religious zealot faction east of 49.

Forgive my candor, but you're going to count the days till you can this town...just like my wife and I are. June can't get here soon enough!
How does racism manifest itself in Shreveport?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM

There are 2 Shreveports and SHVtoATL has explained it pretty well. Shreveport is politically divided, racially divided (with blacks being the majority), the school system's failure is an example of years of inept, incompetent administrators both black & white and a lack of willingness to work together. Black communities have been dupped by their own political leaders and the aging white population has failed to recognize that the 1960's are no longer here. Younger, more intelligent people are moving away for better education, jobs and better amenities, better cities, better opportunities. When you lose your "best & brightest" both black & white, you only wind up replacing the cronies with more cronies. People brag on Bossier being one of the faster growing parishes in Louisiana...you know why? Because people from Caddo parish are moving there (both black & white middle-class).

If I could pin the question of racism manifesting itself in Shreveport, I would say it's because of the lack of a stronger middle class for both black & white citizens who either don't have the skills or education and intellect to look beyond their stereotype. A stronger middle class raises all boats in a lot of ways and Shreveport just doesn't have it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
There are 2 Shreveports and SHVtoATL has explained it pretty well. Shreveport is politically divided, racially divided (with blacks being the majority), the school system's failure is an example of years of inept, incompetent administrators both black & white and a lack of willingness to work together. Black communities have been dupped by their own political leaders and the aging white population has failed to recognize that the 1960's are no longer here. Younger, more intelligent people are moving away for better education, jobs and better amenities, better cities, better opportunities. When you lose your "best & brightest" both black & white, you only wind up replacing the cronies with more cronies. People brag on Bossier being one of the faster growing parishes in Louisiana...you know why? Because people from Caddo parish are moving there (both black & white middle-class).

If I could pin the question of racism manifesting itself in Shreveport, I would say it's because of the lack of a stronger middle class for both black & white citizens who either don't have the skills or education and intellect to look beyond their stereotype. A stronger middle class raises all boats in a lot of ways and Shreveport just doesn't have it.
Thanks for the info. So the racism, then, is not manifested in overt expressions of racial hatred or contempt - people in Shreveport aren't subjected to racial harassment or anything - but in something more subtle and systemic and probably not consciously willed by the people of Shreveport. Does that about sum it up? Or is there something more?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Thanks for the info. So the racism, then, is not manifested in overt expressions of racial hatred or contempt - people in Shreveport aren't subjected to racial harassment or anything - but in something more subtle and systemic and probably not consciously willed by the people of Shreveport. Does that about sum it up? Or is there something more?
I would say that sums it up fairly well. What I'm learning from Shreveport is that no matter who they put in office or what pieces to the board-game are moved around, you can't change the fabric of a city. At its core, Shreveport is what Shreveport was when it was founded, a mainstay of bigotry and religious fundamentalism...and it always will be. If you're looking to move here for any reason at all, here me clearly...DON'T DO IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City