U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

Just curious on how well the acceptance of gays are in the community? I notice all the talk on race and such, but no one has talked about gays and lesbians.? Just want to make sure we are making the right decision

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM

974 posts, read 2,066,276 times
Shreveport-Bossier is a very conservative, ultra-religious (Southern Baptist) community. It is stereo-typically Southern in that regard. Now having said that, there is a gay subculture to be sure. One local theater group seems to spend a considerable amount of effort on producing community theater focusing on gay-themes. Just over the weekend, there was a production of "8", a re-enactment of the courtcase regarding Proposition 8 in California. The arts community is welcoming of gay folks. So for a city in the conservative south, it is slightly ahead of things.

Now that being said, I will say that I know quite a few folks in the gay community who still get discriminated against. We had a gentleman in our office who felt he was getting no where fast in the company so he relocated to Dallas and doesn't regret it at all. He got a nice job in finance and a significant pay-boost and has e-mailed everyone back here that the difference in his life is night and day. I do know a few gay folks who left Shreveport (their home) and vowed to never come back for a variety of reasons.

Not sure what type of work you'll be doing but I would suggest you may want to be in "neutral mode" until you get the feel for what type of company vibe you've got going. Funny thing about Shreveport, there are quite a few folks living "dual lives" here, appearing to be something they're not for the sake of appearances and family inheritance or political / social standing. Do a search on the Shreveport-Bossier forum and you'll probably find some older posts on this subject as it has been discussed a bit in the past.

One openly anti-gay sentiment was reflected by Shreveport Councilman Ron Webb who went on record to vote against the city offering a grant to the Robinson Film Ctr because he said the RFC "...supports gay rights.." Webb is typical of his district. The RFC has many film offerings and filmfests...they have an annual LGBT Film series too. The councilman's statement started a serious backlash. If you're interested, here's a link to the public record of the City Council Meeting Minutes of that backlash: http://www.shreveportla.gov/ccmin/2009/125cm2009.htm

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 02-19-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM

15,846 posts, read 23,964,607 times
It shouldn't be too bad but it won't be great. It's still a small backwards southern town.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
Thank you!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM

1,900 posts, read 2,854,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movers2013 View Post
Just curious on how well the acceptance of gays are in the community? I notice all the talk on race and such, but no one has talked about gays and lesbians.? Just want to make sure we are making the right decision

Thanks
If you want to live an open gay life, there couldn't be a worse decision than Shreveport. I'm a happily married straight man, but I've noticed that everyone around here who's suspected of being gay, keep it to themselves and are spoken about by others like lepers...

Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM

974 posts, read 2,066,276 times
FWIW: the link below could help you get some idea as to how local companies respond to anything relating to gay controversy. This happened at a local TV station and surprised a number of folks as to how the management responded...
first to an Af. American weathercaster explaining why her hair is short and not long & straight as some viewer criticized her look. The other was about an openly gay news reporter who was defending someone being harassed on the station facebook page. Hope the mods won't yank this since as news, it is deemed in the public record.

KTBS Crime Reporter Chris Redford Also Fired for Defending Himself Online | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,647 times
I think how you fare in Shreveport as a gay person depends on a lot of factors: where you're coming from, if you're single, what you like to do in your free time, etc. I left Shreveport a few months ago. I knew several gay people while I lived there, though most of them were still closeted at work and with their families (and these were adults, usually over 30, who were in long-term, monogamous relationships). I don't know much about the singles scene, although I don't believe Shreveport is a great place to be single, whether you're gay or straight. There is a younger, more liberal subculture in Shreveport, but the problem is that, like everything else in town that's worth doing, it's very insular and hard to find. The policymakers and more prominent folks, Ron Webb being a particularly loathsome example, are doing everything they can to keep the town from progressing. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City