Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM

265 posts, read 509,884 times

Advertisements

I heard Shreveport ranks in the top 5 for the worst place to live for crime and murders. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
I heard Shreveport ranks in the top 5 for the worst place to live for crime and murders. Is this true?
Not true but crime is a serious problem there. You can check crime rates by Binging it or by just checking City-data.com site. I just checked and the muurder rate per 100,000 in Shreveport was 8.5 which is higher than the national average but nowhere near top 5. New Orleans wins that dubious "honor" and many many cities trump Shreveport.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
Crime has always been an issue in Shreveport, some neighborhoods get more than their share unfortunately. It's not as bad in Bossier for a variety of reasons (fewer people, demographics, socio-economic factors, etc.)

If you're interested in more specifics, here's a link to Shreveport Police Dept's. Crime Map:
Crime Map for SPD

P.S. Can't say for sure how well this map is updated but it apparently will load up incidents for 1 week, up to past 30 days.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
I agree with tall traveler. Shreveport is by no means in the top 5 or even top 20. But we do get enough crime as it is. I think I saw one time it ranked like 41st in the US.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM

265 posts, read 509,884 times
Thanks all.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM

28 posts, read 50,490 times
I live in Southwest Arkansas & we get TV stations out of Shreveport. Nowadays it seems almost every night they report another shooting, with someone being murdered. No doubt in my mind their crime rate is up from what it had been.

Here is the crime rate for Shreveport on City-Data. //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Louisiana.html

Every now & again I have to go to the VA Hospital at Shreveport, I'm leery of that whole city.

And take a look at this from a Shreveport TV Station, according tho them they're rated the 12th Most Dangerous Metro Area in Country. Shreveport-Bossier Ranked 12th Most Dangerous Metro Area in Country - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

It would not surprise me if they climb several notches this year because this is being a very deadly year for that city.

Years ago I hauled cement to ready mix plants, one of them was in the Cedar Grove area, I delivered there many times late evening after dark & also in the early morning hours before daylight, I always watched my back. It was by far not my favorite place to be during those hours. I wonder if that ready-mix plant is still there. When I hauled into that plant it was way back in the 70's.

PS. Seems the tool for embedding the links is not working, so I pasted them in so if anyone want to read the articles they could.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM

It doesn't surprise me in the least. We read and hear everyday about something taking place. Poverty, low education AND gambling/lottery come into play a good bit. The poor and uneducated are the biggest customers; taking those chances with astronomical odds against to get out of poverty.

The lottery is a pox on the poor.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM

28 posts, read 50,490 times
Yes it is. I started to say in my 1st post that since gambling came to Shreveport & many people keeps on keeping on trying to sink the boats, there's more & more crime reported on the TV stations at Shreveport. Where you have drinking, gambling, you have drugs & prostitution, & where all of that takes place you have much crime.

I feel 100% sure with all that taking place, plus the lottery, you have many more living off of the government. And with all the extra crime you have to have more policemen, I'm happy I live in a place that does not have all of it, although the lottery is with us & its hurting more people than it helps.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
You have drinking, drugs, and prostitution everywhere. What does the lottery have to do with crime?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 PM

It's another form of gambling. People will spend their last dime on a lottery ticket. The lottery doesn't help much with the state budget. It taxes the poor. But do we really see any substantial economic results? I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City