Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times

Advertisements

FWIW... I recall seeing that Louisiana's adult population is less than 23% with college degrees...not sure how it breaks down on a city-by-city level. I think this was from the last census but I can't put my hand on it at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
I'm so proud to have been apart of the Shreveport's Great "Outmigration" just 4 months. I couldn't wait to leave, and am now SOOOO happy I'm rid of that place. So to 25 year old Christine I say...HELL NO there's no good reason for you to move back to Shreveport.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM

58 posts, read 132,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I'm so proud to have been apart of the Shreveport's Great "Outmigration" just 4 months. I couldn't wait to leave, and am now SOOOO happy I'm rid of that place. So to 25 year old Christine I say...HELL NO there's no good reason for you to move back to Shreveport.
I agree. But ya know I miss it because I grew up there and it's my home. It's a shame I can't go back simply because there's nothing to offer.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine88 View Post
I agree. But ya know I miss it because I grew up there and it's my home. It's a shame I can't go back simply because there's nothing to offer.
Trust me, I understand. Nostalgia is a powerful mistress. I lived my childhood in a small-town in East Texas and sometimes, when in the area, I love driving by the house to see where we rode horses and chased cows out of the back yard...but all in all, Scottsville sucked, just like Shreveport sucks.

There's nothing for you there, but memories...and thats ok

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Trust me, I understand. Nostalgia is a powerful mistress. I lived my childhood in a small-town in East Texas and sometimes, when in the area, I love driving by the house to see where we rode horses and chased cows out of the back yard...but all in all, Scottsville sucked, just like Shreveport sucks.

There's nothing for you there, but memories...and thats ok
Yep....even with the Hallsville Racetrack for a weekend distraction isn't enough either!!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM

11 posts, read 29,909 times
Go to the website As Seen In Shreveport | Just another WordPress.com weblog and you'll remember why you left and shouldn't everrrrr go back.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Not really. Detroit is 83% Black while Shreveport is 55% Black. Median household income of Detroit is $27,000 and Shreveport's is $38,500. Detroit's poverty percentage is 38% and Shreveport's is 21%. 12.3% of Detroit has a college education while 24% of Shreveport does. Detroit is the worst of the worst when it comes to statistics like most of these and there are plenty of other cities worse than Shreveport. Shreveport does have a large uneducated and lower class population but it is not the majority of the population. I mean maybe if you mean educated as having a bachelor's degree or higher but few US cities have a majority of the population with that.

Detroit (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Shreveport (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
While the city of Detroit itself might be in the dumps, the city also has the advantage of being right next door to one of the wealthiest and highly educated suburbs in the country, and the Detroit metro area itself also contains several Fortune 500 companies such as Ford, Quicken Loans, and GM among many others in addition to several colleges such as the highly renowned University of Michigan. Shreveport can't really say the same thing since it does not contain those same advantages that Detroit has in regards to proximity.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:33 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
While the city of Detroit itself might be in the dumps, the city also has the advantage of being right next door to one of the wealthiest and highly educated suburbs in the country, and the Detroit metro area itself also contains several Fortune 500 companies such as Ford, Quicken Loans, and GM among many others in addition to several colleges such as the highly renowned University of Michigan. Shreveport can't really say the same thing since it does not contain those same advantages that Detroit has in regards to proximity.
I'm well aware that Detroit has nice suburbs, that's why I was just talking about the city limits. Of course the Shreveport metro area does not offer the things you mentioned, largely because its like 10 times smaller. My only point was that contrary to that other poster's view-point the city limits of Shreveport are much better off than the city of Detroit. Though, more recently even the whole Detroit metro area is shrinking in population while Shreveport's metro continues to grow.

Also, the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) is technically not apart of the Detroit MSA but is apart of the larger CSA.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 02-26-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM

Metro growth as in what? City of Shreveport's population has basically remained stagnant for the past 10 or 12 yrs according to US Census. Maybe some bldgs have been rehabbed but as far as metro growth? Retail expansion maybe... only population growth in NW La. has been Bossier.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Metro Shreveport as in it's MSA. The Census shows growth in 2012 but the MSA lost population from 2000-2010. Detroit lost as well in that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City