Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,035 times

Advertisements

We continue to rate as a State and City among the lower levels when it concerns health care.
We have a governor who has not made it better, but in some ways more difficult. the changes to LSU were not in the better interest of the people. If people note, this change came on the heels of the ACA, because the ACA means as people get coverages, it would translate into more income generation over time for LSU. But as soon as that came on the Horizon, our "Outsource and Privatize Everything Mentality of the Governor", when into over-drive to usher in Private Management of the system. Again, the people were hoodwinked, the " make it hard for the people" mentality has continued to be the basis of the State's Administration.

He fought against the Unemployment, he fought against the Stimulus, and he Fights against Health Care. He fights against anything which is designed to benefit the Citizen population, and he fights harder against it if he can't line it up for "Privatization".
We sit silent, when he first came to office he touted the fact he got to office by education, then immediately attacked the schools. Louisiana School have struggled in every way under this Administration. He has done nothing to reduce the cost of vocational, technical or college, but he is in full support of standing behind any process which avoids improving the education system for the people. Test scores benefit the Politicians, not the Students. American Students use information, they don't rote memorize it for the sake of a test. But that purely escapes his awareness.
Insurance, How many years has it been since Katrina ? Why has he not pushed against the Insurance companies to either fix the devastated areas or get out of the way? What happen to all the money that was nationally raised to fix and repair New Orleans?
But what do we see other than Insurance companies getting a green light to do anything they want in this State as long as it does not benefit the State, Cities nor the Citizens.
What happen to "Taxing the Excess Premium Profits" ?
Any area where people are quick to claim, " I don't know much about it", goes under attack.

When Governors went to Washington, the only one to come out with a self promoting grandstanding negative outburst, was none other than " Louisiana Governor". Insulting yet again, the people of this state.
He is not ever going to be President of this Nation. No amount of grandstanding will change that fact.
People seem to forget after 2008, the National Tour he took off on, when he thought he'd be a front runner. Just neglect the state, and follow the Right Wing "Deny Everything and Pursue Austerity" became his stand point.

No one elected him to play Party Games, he was elected to represent this State and its people, not to impose his "Austerity Programming upon the and against the people".

What is the point in denial of ACA and Improvements in Medicare, other than to play to the Conservative Agenda of 'Deny Anything if it was Promoted by the President". That is the childish conduct which seems to be the driving motivation. I guess Many don't remember the grand insult to the people in 2008 when he did the follow up to the President Speaking.
Selective Amnesia will not benefit us.

There is a long list of information people should read.

Read some of the Benefits People have gained via ACA:
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post33685269
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 AM

I wonder why the avoidance of engaging subject material such as this, which addresses a very big factor that has a dramatic downward influence upon us and our city?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
I have tried in the past to engage Louisianans in some dialogue about these political matters but they refuse to have anything to do with it. Its always a "myob" sort of response. Of course without some dialogue on the matter, nothing WILL ever change.

No, I have been less than pleased with Bobby Jindal who ten years ago was who I believed to be the "savior" of the state. I didn't vote for him the second time and I sure wouldn't like to see him as president.

I do believe that the whole health care system of Louisiana could have been handled much differently than it has. What has been done to the entire system looks chaotic at best. The Medical School here in Shreveport is very important in the work that they do and doesn't need any budget cuts. I wish some great philanthropist would come along and buy the place, along with LSUS, since those budget cuts seem to keep going year after year. Oh just a dream it is.

We need to fully fund education and road construction, if anything. But we don't, opting instead for the big salaries of Jindal's department heads, and a plethora of "junk" for the rural legislators. We have spent, spent, spent, on golf courses, reservoirs, agricultural mills, hotels and convention centers, etc. Yes I do listen to Moon Griffon although I don't always agree with him. He has a talk show on local 710 keel m-f, 9-11 am. He and a couple of gentlemen from South Louisiana are right about so much. But I don't always agree on everything he says.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 PM

People are less Civic minded, but often with the way the so called NEWS is today, it is so much that is structured for the sake of drama, and designed to feed the drama fixes that some need on a daily or in many cases an hourly dosage.

I don't know if Americans will change the levels of complacency, nor if people will choose to engage subject material to explore thoughts and seek ways to improve things.

But I don't let that stop me from addressing and exploring subject material.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I have tried in the past to engage Louisianans in some dialogue about these political matters but they refuse to have anything to do with it. Its always a "myob" sort of response. Of course without some dialogue on the matter, nothing WILL ever change.

No, I have been less than pleased with Bobby Jindal who ten years ago was who I believed to be the "savior" of the state. I didn't vote for him the second time and I sure wouldn't like to see him as president.

I do believe that the whole health care system of Louisiana could have been handled much differently than it has. What has been done to the entire system looks chaotic at best. The Medical School here in Shreveport is very important in the work that they do and doesn't need any budget cuts. I wish some great philanthropist would come along and buy the place, along with LSUS, since those budget cuts seem to keep going year after year. Oh just a dream it is.

We need to fully fund education and road construction, if anything. But we don't, opting instead for the big salaries of Jindal's department heads, and a plethora of "junk" for the rural legislators. We have spent, spent, spent, on golf courses, reservoirs, agricultural mills, hotels and convention centers, etc. Yes I do listen to Moon Griffon although I don't always agree with him. He has a talk show on local 710 keel m-f, 9-11 am. He and a couple of gentlemen from South Louisiana are right about so much. But I don't always agree on everything he says.
Didn't you hear about how Jindal pumped a whopping 65 million back in to LSU?

After over 600 million in cuts...

Never ever cut education dummy.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,513 times
Actually it was more like $700 million in cuts... but who's counting?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Jindal never should have been placed in the Governors Seat. It will be a blessing upon Louisiana when his term is up, Hopefully, people will start to pay attention and challenge and put a halt to his obsessive mentality to try and privatize everything he can.

He has destroyed so much that many people over many previous generations worked very hard to build and establish.
The attack he has had upon LSU, should have gotten him IMPEACHED AND REMOVED FROM OFFICE. But we have such a passive system, that the more we let him get away with doing this stuff, the more motivation he gets to destroy even more within this State.

How this man got in office is itself a true travesty of unaware citizenry sitting silent and not functionally utilizing their voice to vote. If more people were more aware and more driven to vote, he would not have made a second term.
I think the young college age people need to get together and look at the damage he has done to LSU and the many poor and working poor, should look at what he has done to LSU Medical. The aspiring Medical Students should look at how he has handicapped this Educational Institution which will take a decade or more to repair. But it may not even be repairable if he continues on his path.

Then look at our roads, they are horrendous. But this is not something he has much concern for, because if he did, he would have taken a strong stand to have I-49 connected by now.

Our Public Schools have been turned into a 'test score center", more than it is about trying to learn how to change and modify class type programming to equip the young with progressive learning.

Instead, we have a high drop out rate, and no one listen to the students. The students have been saying for a few decades that 'the teaching and course structure is 'boring", it does not invigorate the minds of the youth, nor challenge them with the new age of things they have in their environment.

We try to run schools as if it is at the turn of the 20th Century. Pratically all civic and culture building programming has been stripped away.

We should have no schools without full internet and smart boards and allocated funding to repair what is broken, and learn to partner with vocational programming to make use of any facility that is vacant. Our kids should still have the civic and cultural organizations as part of school programming, and some are even now with a destitute sports program. We have such a limited promotion of grade school and high school sports and now for a school to have a functioning Band is almost something that is totally forgotten.

What has he done to push the saturation of Medical Facilities in Shreveport to become truly deep investors in education. What has he done to get the Oil companies to become deep investors in education. What has he done to push the Insurance Companies to become deep investors in education?

Why did we not go and pursue Tesla to bring their automotive building to the Old GM Plant. Why have we not pursed companies like Tesla to use our facilities to build their batteries or various things which are progressive.

We have the cost basis of labor and we have a trainable workforce.

But the AUSTERY aims of Jindal is more interested in pushing for an Anti Government support structure. Rather than utilizing the Federal Programming to become a pro-active support investor in this state.

Jinda can't even think in those terms, because of his personal vile mentality toward the President. Along with his intent to try and compete against the President as if he thinks he could do better. When he has not demonstrated aything in this State, other than how he can dismantle and privatize everything he gets his hands on.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-11-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Didn't you hear about how Jindal pumped a whopping 65 million back in to LSU?

After over 600 million in cuts...

Never ever cut education dummy.
Since news reports, regardless of what kind of media is reporting, seem to sporadically give info and then a contradiction later in the day, week, month, etc, I never get the full story on much of anything anymore. The prophecy of the book 1984 has been fulfilled.

Jindal is hard to take anymore and not to be believed about anything. I don't know who he really is or what he really stands for. Maybe you can see the good in him but really he totally misrepresented himself when he ran for governor. It's gotten to be a watching and waiting game with him and all the other lackluster at best politcians we have nowadays.

I going to be frank with you Annie We are simply discussing what is going on in this community and how we can change it. It seems to ruffle your feathers that anyone on this forum would dare talk about Shreveport of all places. Well like it or not every dog has his day and this one is getting it now. You speak about Shreveport from a Baton Rouge point of view as its the worst thing that could have ever happened to Louisiana. I'll never quite understand why the animosity about this place. I know all it's faults, etc. So I'm asking you to let us talk. We are not going to become Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or even BR. We don't want that. But we would like to change some of the thinking here by giving pause to thoughts and ideas that may encourage someone.

And Jindal did cut education, all over the state in the colleges and universities.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 AM

No place is beyond the ability to change. Eventually there will be those who choose to engage commentary, expand on it and explore the variables within the spectrum.
I don't see where anyone should consider to shrink in being and sharing what are their thoughts about the desire, potential or their concerns about where they live and what they would like to see develop and prosper.

Even the thoughts about what is written as if it has to be 'twitter style" short burst, yet I do see a well informed other poster, who writes until his thoughts are complete. Yet, seem to imply as if I or whom every they are referring to should write less. I find that amazing.

There is a long list of subject which are yet to be written. We have many things which are points to be discussed.
I will in the comings day, venture to address some of the subjects which are infrequently discussed, and they are open for anyone to engage.
I also look at other topics in the list as to areas which have a large variety of subjects to discuss.

I certainly think Jindal and his misguided and terrible acts upon and against the people of this state should be a very expansive discussion.
Certainly if this man has any inkling of trying to get in a Presidential Run, people need to know, he is not Presidential Material. He'd probably end up trying to outsource and push his Austerity agenda, and cause even more havoc to America in every way he could and further devastate the nation.
By the time he is out of office here, we will have many years to restore what it took so many so long to build and within this mans term he has devastated this state and put it on a regressive path.

He is not the only one, Vitter and Fleming, both need to go. Vitter spent an inordinate amount of time trying to frighten senior citizens about ACA. Fleming is just not fluid enough to have the understanding as to how to build unity in this state.
If we don't get rid of these mentality types. We will find the state regressing to a near frameworks of the disastrous segregationist policies of the 1950's and 1960's.

It's not hard, people simply have to pay attention and vote responsibly for Progress, Growth and Change.
I'm sure if we go down the list across the State, we can find out exactly where the core of our political problems exist. Then we need to push for change if we expect to emerge as a progressive state.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-12-2014 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Since news reports, regardless of what kind of media is reporting, seem to sporadically give info and then a contradiction later in the day, week, month, etc, I never get the full story on much of anything anymore. The prophecy of the book 1984 has been fulfilled.

Jindal is hard to take anymore and not to be believed about anything. I don't know who he really is or what he really stands for. Maybe you can see the good in him but really he totally misrepresented himself when he ran for governor. It's gotten to be a watching and waiting game with him and all the other lackluster at best politcians we have nowadays.

I going to be frank with you Annie We are simply discussing what is going on in this community and how we can change it. It seems to ruffle your feathers that anyone on this forum would dare talk about Shreveport of all places. Well like it or not every dog has his day and this one is getting it now. You speak about Shreveport from a Baton Rouge point of view as its the worst thing that could have ever happened to Louisiana. I'll never quite understand why the animosity about this place. I know all it's faults, etc. So I'm asking you to let us talk. We are not going to become Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or even BR. We don't want that. But we would like to change some of the thinking here by giving pause to thoughts and ideas that may encourage someone.

And Jindal did cut education, all over the state in the colleges and universities.
I'm not sure how you got to this conclusion with my post. I'm honest about Shreveport and don't go out of my way to be honest about it.

I'm not stopping anyone from talking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City