Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,211 times

Advertisements

Form a general views of the social situation of Man and Woman Relationships in Shreveport. It appears from an outside view, that couples value their relationship to a great degree, without the Hype of the Media Imagery having a driving influence as it does in some places like the West Coast or the East Coast Big cities. I often hear people speak quite endearingly of their husband or wives in general conversations.

There seems to not be so much emphasis on trying to be rail thin as promoted by many commercial imagery of media depictions and people seem not to be overly driven by material things for the sole sake of status and trying to keep up with the commercial promotional influences, which ultimately bring many financial challenges to a great many couples in the big metro areas where, keeping up with the Jones, dominate so much of the lives of big city couples. Couples here seem to have a high number of "man and woman" households, where both engage working various jobs to support the household.

It also appears people select their mates not based on degree and income, as much as they choose for the fact they simply want to be together. If Shreveport can maintain that mindset, this area will also maintain stability in relationships; far exceeding the nature of relationships in major metro's who become highly driven and influenced overtly and subliminally by the media and its influential depictions of pomp and pageantry, material and ego saturated measurements. This is a great plus factor to Shreveport Citizenry. People seem to have a good knowledge base of their extended families and make efforts to stay with some levels of connectivity with the broader family structure.

People seem to enjoy more of the simple things, from visiting the social events, fishing, church, sharing meals, family gatherings as well as, they engage the local eateries without a standard aim or requirement of 4 star measurements pursuits. Here people can enjoy local family eateries, Waffle House, Pizza Parlors and other such things and feel comfortable with their outings.
It appears people can and do make enjoyment from simple family gathers more routine in their social plans, planning outing which include their kids and many of the things which unite families in a far more stable format. It seems to outpace the major metro's where everything is measured in status, how much it cost to enjoy a evening or weekend, as well as finding ways to enjoy family building entertainment without pursuing a costly status chase style of living. Shreveport is fortunate it has not lost this value point in the family unit and living standards.

Maybe it is why, many who moved away when they were young, seem to move back to the areas as they get older and want to pursue and maintain stability in their relationships and their lives, as they move closer to retirement age.

Our over-all cost of living seems to fit into a framework where people can develop comfortable lives once they are past that mid 40's in age. Housing Cost are Reasonable, there is not the clutter of big cities traffic, and certainly they have long past the years in age, to feel a need to frequent highly popularized and overly costly means to enjoy the environment and entertain themselves.

Shreveport offers a variety of Festivals and Other entertainment opportunities for people to engage.

Please Share your thoughts upon these attributes within the Shreveport Community of Relationships and Marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM

What is the legacy of relationship understanding between man and woman do we pass along to the next generation? How do we want the children of today to learn and come to appreciate the the natural beauty of what is man and woman, in embracing the uniqueness of their individual ways and means of loving each other. How do we want to demonstrate the beauty to be found within building a family through mutual support, and individualized self investment.
How do we teach the level of tolerant acceptance of the uniqueness of what is a man and what is a woman, that they may learn to love each other without a cycle of competitive challenges upon and against each other?

Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM

20 posts, read 26,471 times
I can comment from the point of view of a single female who transplanted here:this town is as close to the pits as one can get.I came here almost two years ago,have tried very hard to meet people and haven't made one single friend.My school aged daughter hasn't made any friends either.I don't believe there is anything wrong with either of us;I am well educated,have a good respectable professional job and am in good physical shape;however,people treat me as if I have two heads;they treat my young daughter like that as well;very suspicious and like they don't trust me although I don't see what damage I could do.I relocated from a city that was voted rudest city in the USA but I really believe this town might have give Miami a run for it money in that contest.I am using all my vacation looking for jobs out of here,hoping I am not here next year.But maybe if you are married here the situation is better,I just don't know

Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM

People can be very prejudge-mental based on many things. some do not like to see others do well, and some feel a contemptuous challenges for no valid reason.
In life one has to choose friends carefully, therefore is one develop one friend over a period of time and that friend is an honest and true friend. Not based on 'because of this or that", "not if this or that".. but simply out of a genuine care and appreciation of person and individual. But that takes time to build.
Here some of the people have known each other for a long time, in some cases, they may have lived her their whole life, therefore their circles may be somewhat of a closed loop.
The history of people in the South is one that has a great expanse of "segregationist policies", this exist not only across racial lines, but within racial circles.

You may be fortune in ways that you have not yet grasp. Because you have the options to be with care in developing friendships. some happen to people who have been in these communities by something closer to osmosis of sorts. (a usually effortless often unconscious assimilation).

"[ Homophily (i.e., "love of the same") is the tendency of individuals to associate and bond with similar others. The presence of homophily has been discovered in a vast array of network studies. More than 100 studies that have observed homophily in some form or another and they establish that similarity breeds connection. These include age, gender, class, and organizational role.
This is often expressed in the adage "birds of a feather flock together".
Individuals in homophilic relationships share common characteristics (beliefs, values, education, etc.) that make communication and relationship formation easier. Homophily often leads to homogamy—marriage between people with similar characteristics]" Credit-Wiki

[Heterophily, or love of the different, is the tendency of individuals to collect in diverse groups; it is the opposite of homophily. This phenomenon is notable in successful organizations, where the resulting diversity of ideas is thought to promote an innovative environment. Recently it has become an area of social network analysis.] Credit-Wiki

Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Default A History of "Mistrust"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellia10 View Post
I can comment from the point of view of a single female who transplanted here:this town is as close to the pits as one can get.I came here almost two years ago,have tried very hard to meet people and haven't made one single friend.My school aged daughter hasn't made any friends either.I don't believe there is anything wrong with either of us;I am well educated,have a good respectable professional job and am in good physical shape;however,people treat me as if I have two heads;they treat my young daughter like that as well;very suspicious and like they don't trust me although I don't see what damage I could do.I relocated from a city that was voted rudest city in the USA but I really believe this town might have give Miami a run for it money in that contest.I am using all my vacation looking for jobs out of here,hoping I am not here next year.But maybe if you are married here the situation is better,I just don't know
It's Important to realist - "Mistrust" is not one dimensional, it is tied to many things, one would have to look at the History of this Nation, and not dis-connects the elements that made us into a nation of people whom we are this very day. ( it is many unpleasant things within the mix, many people deny, many they down play and many people become anguished to review). But we can learn how to get past this, unless we first learn to look into and work through it, and un-do the damaged done over the history of our Nation and its effects upon the people. We only come together in times of national tragedy... but if we looked at the "tragedy of social mistrust", "social fears".. we could move on to become a nation far different than what we are today.

Mistrust between women, must be broken and dissolved.
Mistrust between minorities must be broken and dissolved.
Mistrust between minority men must be broken and dissolved
Mistrust between poor whites must be broken and dissolved.
Mistrust between poor white men must be broken and dissolved.
Mistrust between the poor whites and minorities must be broken and dissolved

Mistrust among black people, of one another was a foundational elements which was engaged to support the programming of slavery, during Segregation, Mistrust was equally so a tool used, to support and insure disharmony within the black population. Because UNITY means POWER. The acts and efforts to insure that black people did not gain power, was primary for 100 of years. If black people gained unity and found the benefits of the usage of unity to gain power, that would mean they would find and develop means for "economic parity" with white society.
The history of America was and is to disenfranchises blacks, poor whites and women. As long as that system could be maintained, it was an assurance that white males would have the means and resources at their disposal to promote and insure they retained the dominant social power to influence and regulate society. People must remember, back in history, "white males claimed the Constitution of the United States to only count them as men", women could not vote, and minorities were counted as 3/5 of a person. The only liberties given to the women, poor whites and minorities, were those "rationed out by policies of the wealthy white males who filled the Political Halls of America."

Mistrust among poor white people, of one another was a foundational elements which was engaged to support the programming of indentured servititude, during and later share cropping. Poor whites in many cases have not figured this out, because they have been instilled with a vain hope of joining the economically prominent white sector. Yet, over hundred of years, they have not grasp the fact their upward mobility has a glass ceiling as well. Being from the pre-labeled "poor white sectors". After 500 years, America still has a overwhelmingly large group of poor whites. Yet, it is sad that the Poor whites have not figured it out, they are put in a class slightly above minorities for the sake of being white, but they are in all practical terms still registered as being "poor whites", which has a generational history which goes back 100's of years. Poor whites are as unwelcome, when it comes to mingling with, merging with and even marrying into the groups of the wealthy whites, they are not welcome into the higher ranks of business, nor are they welcomes in the marquee establishments. They are however tolerated in some sectors, but many sectors, they know, they are not to be made to feel comfortable even if they venture to go there. Only when it comes to "vote gathering" are the poor whites catered to.

It is evident and factual, they cannot afford to send their kids to the Colleges which gain credit and access to the higher income positions. They can however go to localized colleges and colleges on the lower scale, which means their job spectrum will be in the lower ranks of the system, not in the Leadership ranks. Today, it is harder and harder for them to get their kids into the lower ranked colleges, because it is 'cost prohibitive, and over the past two decades, it has proven that many of their degree are now useless. Every week, Yahoo runs promotional ad's which they try and write it like a news story, but the fact is telling many of the poor, the degree they pursued are no longer valued. Sadly, many of those colleges the poor could afford to attend, did not offer various programs and many has target areas of programming which was available to the student groups. Those result to be the degree, which are currently discounted and/or lead to very low paying positions.

In all cases to insure people remain unaware, there are programs which allow a limited number from all groups to slip through the cracks, this helps keep the hope which can be used like a tool, alive.

Mistrust will not vanish anytime soon in any of these groups; as individual groups, nor to the level these groups can trust each others groups.

When poor people, black and white found means for uplift through Union Jobs, then Unions were busted up, because that unity meant power, and that power meant they demanded a living wage. Previously many Union workers could afford to sent their kids to better school and those kids could break the glass ceilings. When that became realized as to what and how they were rising up, The objective was, not only to bust up the Unions, but to Outsource the Jobs, and tell American they were too costly. Yet, we see today, foreign made goods are sold to us, as if they were produced by high wage earning people. but truth is they are produced by slave wage labor in China, and sold to Americas as if they were produced paying $30 hrs. And we bought into the lie that it was cheaper to produce overseas, the result is, the Executive Ranks now live with earnings no different than what slave owners earned. While the people are making minimum wage, or slightly above.
Minimum wage is equal to what it would cost to house and feed a slave, or pay an Indentured servant.

when poverty is sustained by system means and process, it insures racial discord become to be at elevated to a fever pitch, it insures that 'Mistrust" within groups is elevated to a fever pitch", and for certain, It insures that "Mistrust" across groups is elevated to a fever pitch.
All while this happens, The Wealthy increase their income gaps between themselves and the poor, to levels never heard of before in society.

Mistrust between the poor whites and minorities must be broken and dissolved.

The best avenue for mass population of blacks, poor whites and women, is to learn "trades", FILL UP THE TECHNICAL AND VOCATIONAL PROGRAMS. ( when this happens we learn to break down the walls of "Mistrust". We learn to work together and come together. We gain stature and learn to unite as groups and within groups and across group lines.

Furthermore:
This is a skill sectors which cannot be outsourced and no amount of efforts to diminish their ability to pursue economic uplift can stop their performance objectives. If you note, today, there is less and less mass promotion of Technical and Vocational programs, and there is a diminish in the promotion of City Colleges. ( because these were the pathway people used before to gain some levels of uplift. They became the small business owners, the independent business owners and they established many businesses which did grow.) however, they made the mistake over many years of work and building their businesses, to allow them to become linked with Public Traded Business and those that became very successful made the mistake to take their business Public and put them on the Stock markets. Eventually their business was sold off, consolidated or allowed to become broken up and sold off in parts.

The history of power has always been, that none relinquish it once they have it, and they push by any and every means to retain it, both honorable means and dishonorable means. If they can influence public policy in their favor that is what they will do, if they can influence laws in localities, they will equally do so.
We know this to be true by the way Public Policy was shaped by the slave-owners, laws were created both locally and nationally, to support the slave owners, at the expense of the enslaved.

Therefore.. the tool of 'Building Mistrust" among the lesser economically functional groups, was and is a program that has not vanished nor has it diminished. But, that does not mean the people cannot become aware and learn how to 'rebuild a sense of trust within these groups", whom today are labeled as "The Poor". ( it is comprised of Minorities, Poor Whites and Women). Only when these groups learn to develop Trust within their respective groupings, and then learn to develop trust to work as interlinked groups, will things change for the general population in America.

But that means, breaking habits. Breaking habits of drugs, drink, social discord, learning teamwork, and not adopting any habits which promote and prolong acts of delinquency. This however is a Major Task, of which the mass of the general population has not come to the terms to understand. It means looking beyond and growing beyond generalized racism, bigotry, and it also means those white who are the lower rungs of the middle class, who 'grandstand', talking about they made it by themselves, have to wake up and realize, what they claim as doing well, is far less than what it really equates to being. As they age, medical cost, general upkeep and the cost of a good care facility, depletes their gains rapidly, until they don't realize their bigoted grandstanding, has not removed them from the ultimate resolve of the ranks of the Poor.

We must come to learn the devastation's which "Mistrust" invokes across the spectrum. When we do, we will all pursue to break the shackles of "Mistrust" and come and begin to be together and work together and value the benefit of the unity factor. But we can't get there, while Mistrust dominates.

Mistrust between the poor whites and minorities must be broken and dissolved

Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,147 times
All I've seen is tons of infidelity. Maybe it's my environment or career choice. Personally, I don't do relationships anymore. I talk to a girl and when she or I decide not to see each other anymore or some other guy impresses her, communication and honesty and maturity allow it to dissolve politely and we go our ways separate. I'd never do anything legally binding around here.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM

I doubt there is any place where infidelity does not exist. It is within the human spectrum and has been since there has been mankind. It may be why there is much discussion about it within the Bible as well as historical documentations. It certainly is not select to this region.
Many people have a variety of 'UNDERSTANDING" in how they relate. as to the morality of it, that seems to shape itself to suit the individuals who are defining it as to what they find suitable, or within their concepts of how they choose to live.
The largest religion in the world has within its design, multiple wives, as well as we have regions in this very nation which has that as a part of how they choose to build their relationships.

Some people are able to develop understanding which does not bind or obligate them beyond mutual agreements to not make life long commitments, in other situations some choose to make life long binding and committed relationship. That has probably been a controversial aspect of societies since mankind existed.
At one time, Divorce was not regarded with acceptable respect, today, its as common as marriage, and many people today are working on their 2nd, 3rd and even more marriages.
That too, is not select to this region, it is "Global".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City