U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 55,673 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching in Shreveport, LA for 15 years, and I am ready for a change. Our schools keep closing down and turning into charter schools. This upcoming year will be the fourth time I have changed schools due to a closure. I am tired of this. I plan on relocating within the next 2 years, but I am not sure where I will go. I am thinking about somewhere in GA, TX, or any other state where I fit in. I tried moving to Atlanta and Dallas about 4 years ago, but didn't have any luck. GA was doing furloughs and Dallas, TX wasn't hiring new teachers. I prefer to live in a safe and diverse area, with a similar cost of living. I currently make around $49,000. My certification is 1st-8th grade (all subjects). Any advice?

Last edited by princess1976; 03-28-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 AM

3,044 posts, read 7,577,667 times
I would try and move this thread to the Georgia and Texas forums. Nobody reads the Shreveport threads to amount to anything.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM

974 posts, read 2,061,506 times
I would encourage you to consider Texas. While no place is perfect, I can't help but think you would fare better in a bigger city. I believe there are several ISD in the DFW Metroplex. And you might even consider private schools. Shreveport-Bossier is really a small pond and if I were an educator in the nuttiness that is the CPSD ... I would find the frustration far outweighs everything else.

Check into the DFW forum on city-data.com and perform some due-diligence.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM

5,349 posts, read 2,930,039 times
Maybe you could get a coalition of Teachers, and work on some methods to submit to the old and tired school board that seems to be out of step with reality.
Some of those members have no business even being on the board.
Caddo Parish School Board | Our District - CPSB Members

This antiquated group has members who should have long ago been removed. Why the people in the communities keep sending them back is a travesty in and of itself. People should pay more attention and seek out people who have new ideas and understand that the world has long since changed from the days most of these people were even in school. Being aged is not the problem, it is about " Old Thinking" which is the problem. Some of these people are so out of touch with the way society has evolved, because they keep thinking in old terms trying to reminisce about their hey day, when even if they review it, they will find it was not in step with being progressive.
This same board has presided of physical deterioration of facilities, they have programming which is 20-30 yrs behind the times, and most of them are so beyond being aware of the need for physical education, and they are unaware of the nature of how civic and cultural programming is beneficial to student development and growth.

Most have no sense of finance, they think small, that's why they always have a funding problem, they sit there year after year and let 'do nothing people" stay in position as directors, who systematically under-budget, and face a busted budget 6 months into the school year. And this happens like clock work.

In some schools they still think a 'Dictator mentality is how you choose a Principal", when society today has to have a system which is adaptable to change, and open to learn from the teaching staff at the schools.

There are people who remain in the system based on name recognition and then there is an attitude which become one of "intimidation", which will ' red-line" or in older terms, "black ball" anyone who brings forth an idea. People working in the system are afraid to speak up, because these egomaniac who have been on the board too long will develop and enact a vendetta mentality against anyone who does not patronize their ideas or stand. Ask yourself, why so many who work in the system remain silent? Because they know this is the worst system for trying to bring new ideas and new methods, because Central Office and the Board will develop and attitude and it should not be that way. They should be open to learn and grow.

I would not be too worried about who reads or who does not read the forum. because people here can be very resentful of anyone who speaks or writes about anything.
Some will write as much as they want, and then turn and complain about the writing of others, so you have to write because that is what you want to do.

I would say, expound on the points and factors that disenchant your about the system and how it functions, as well as discuss the issue which are created when these schools are closed and boarded up.

But another thing, send links to people you know, to come and read the boards, tell them to send links to people they know to come and read and contribute to the messaging board. people send all kinds of chain emails about stuff.. but no one sends out emails telling others they know to come and read and participate in these boards.

I send links to people, to come and read and contribute. there are many people who read. But also go to other areas of this board and write on subject material, some of those readers will follow your handle back to read about what you write on this board.

Shreveport has a lot of resentful people, its almost as if anyone is pro-active, there will be many who will be more motivated to avoid and not comment, in hopes to diminish ones participation. Stuff like that, I could care less about it. I write anyway.
No one has to agree to everything, or anything which is written, it is a matter of inspiring thought, evoking though, or in some cases provoking thought.

I go to various other topic areas and write on anything that interest me to write. I don't care what the people in the Shreveport forum think about it. They don't control nor regulate me nor you nor anyone but themselves.

It's time to call out this School Board the School System and those within it who clog up the growth of the programming the system can and should be working to improve.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-29-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,577,667 times
I believe most people in Shreveport have depression, a jealousy motive, or a combination. They are just too slow to accept change and want things "the way they were in the 50s'". A foolish idea unfortunately as you can't relive the past without a time machine. The best way to do is roll with the changes (I know REO Speedwagon). I don't like a lot of them myself but I do my best everyday to live for that day and not to worry too much about the past or the future.

I can see what needs changing in Shreveport-Bossier to make it a more pleasant prosperous area to live in, but my thoughts and words are in vain since people don't seem to want to or care. This is about the only outlet that has any intelligent thought and conversation. The local newspaper doesn't. So many people in this area are very predictable in what they like. I can read them like a clock. Maybe I've been here too long but I don't see myself moving since my wife isn't interested in anything but Louisiana.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Teachers should get an Attorney to help the organize a group, so they know how to protect themselves against this vendetta based system which dominates Central Office and the Board's Mentality.

Everyone is aware of the debacle they made of selecting a Superintendent, not only did they do it once, they did it two time.
The first was a Disaster which resulted in absolutely "zero" progress for the educational programming, or the system as a whole in relation to progressing the programming.

They labeled all these schools with these designer names, but they FAILED to tie the designer category to higher educational institution which could be a support system for these specifically designated schools.

The only thing which resulted is the Man made a cool 1.x Million dollars, for 4 yrs in office, Result: the system is still closing campuses and the quality of the system has not progressed.

Why can't the teachers 'Teach in the ways they have learned as individuals", they are in the classroom and they know what the nature of their student population is.

Everyone in Caddo School system should be "MANDATED TO WEAR UNIFORMS", this is not some country club of the wealthy and the some system of 'do as you please". There is a reason why the Military has Uniforms, there is a reason why Police wear uniforms, there is a reason why every profession has some nature of uniform. But we let a few bleeding heart citizens stop the system from becoming one that is 'responsible from start to finish". Because it is group identity, it inspires conformity and uniformity.

Why are kids let out of school, 2-3 hrs before parents are off work. That is a recipe for delinquency. School should start at 8:30- 8:45 am. and out by 5 pm. The hour from 3:30 to 5 pm should be "mandated as cultural and civic learning and program participation time, every kids has to be in a program. The facility should open at 7:30, this gives parents time to drop their kids off, the kids have time to eat breakfast, mingle, study or be well prepared for class start time.

The public should demand, that every school has a "Debate Team", Every School has Multiple Sports Programs, and Every School has a School Band.
Push the State Senators to come up with the Money to fund it, they waste money on every good ole boy give away, they can certainly target money for these programs.
The programs should mandate that every student, attends a Financial Management Program, from the 8-12 grade, this can be one of the classes set up between 3:30 and 5 pm.

Instead we have a school board who is too interested in their own ego about being on the board, they can't think of ways to change and improve the system.

Every school should have a Science Fair Committee, A Drama Class and use the Stages and Auditorium the schools have built for something other than just to say it exist.

Get a board that thinks about the future, and stop trying to re-crate the past, and we can progress, we can have the best school system in the state.

Tech Advancement Classes be set up for Saturdays, where students register for 6 week terms, they can be set up as Phases, Phase one, Phase two and Phase three. We have enough tech people who can teach these classes, and for those who can't pay, while we are giving money voucher for private schools, use that money so kids can get vouchers to attend these programs.

Why we are allowing the system of public schools to become discredited is cause to remove some of the politicians, and remove some of the people in the boards across the State, who are destroying these public school system.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM

974 posts, read 2,061,506 times
The local newspaper has become little more than a community Press Release for All Things Shiny & Good in Shreveport.
There is very little hardcore journalism going on and the Shreveport Times seems to go out of its way to avoid offending anyone so as to not have any negative fall out which could translate into a loss of advertising revenue. Simply put: our news media really sucks here big time. A fair number of folks I work with don't watch local news, read the local papers or even care much about what's going on. People seem to mention SB Magazine because of someone they know who appeared in the local-stroke pages at a party or some shin-dig.

Nope... not a whole lot of media oversight except to share the pissing contests with the various factions of the schoolboard or local DDA / DSU or puff-pieces about how great downtown Shreveport is to start a business. Latest PR "news" has featured the Cyber Innovation Center which has been doing zilch ever since it opened its doors, now they finally have someone going to spend a little money there. And then there's the Biomed Research Foundation taking over the LSU-Health & Sciences Center / Teaching Hospital ...saying how rosy & pink every thing is since they're all about providing the same care at less costs to the state...yet other stories coming from those in Baton Rouge aren't so sure ...but the local news rag won't publish those 'cuz the head folks of the BioMed RF have warned everyone in local media that they better "play nice".

Local media here is a major, major FAIL.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Local media here will not address anything, but bland patronizing or demonizing short script. the quality of Journalism is at the lowest ever, at least in this city. Until they want to get on a tare to demonize someone or pursue the "if it bleeds it leads". They have not progressed beyond that generalized ignorance. The rest is Sports.

We have the most irresponsible Journalism imaginable. The paper wants to carry the name of the city, but it does absolutely nothing to be a vehicle to promote positivity or improvements in how it communicates about this city.
They look for "who had an accident", or some act or form of malice.
The website is even worst, they want to limit what one can read. Then they jumped on this facebook obsession and destroyed the interactivity about subject matter. No everyone cares about "facebook", and not everyone is interested in everything they say, being linked to some facebook account. So very few people will comment about the articles in the newspapers web comment section.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I believe most people in Shreveport have depression, a jealousy motive, or a combination. They are just too slow to accept change and want things "the way they were in the 50s'". A foolish idea unfortunately as you can't relive the past without a time machine. The best way to do is roll with the changes (I know REO Speedwagon). I don't like a lot of them myself but I do my best everyday to live for that day and not to worry too much about the past or the future.

I can see what needs changing in Shreveport-Bossier to make it a more pleasant prosperous area to live in, but my thoughts and words are in vain since people don't seem to want to or care. This is about the only outlet that has any intelligent thought and conversation. The local newspaper doesn't. So many people in this area are very predictable in what they like. I can read them like a clock. Maybe I've been here too long but I don't see myself moving since my wife isn't interested in anything but Louisiana.
[I believe most people in Shreveport have depression, a jealousy motive, or a combination. They are just too slow to accept change and want things "the way they were in the 50s'". A foolish idea unfortunately as you can't relive the past without a time machine.]
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Very good statement !!!

I have met some very interesting people who have done a great things in the historical past of Shreveport. Unfortunately, in some cases; they are too easily forgotten, and some are neglected in being embraced as mentors to help us build upon their contributions.

We have a system where people are seemingly dead set against insuring that others do not have parity with them in the economic spectrum. This is certainly true in jobs, and the hold back mentality that stifles promotions and recognitions of effort and productivity. People can make 2½ time or more than their productive employees, but they are obstinate to promote or improve the pay of those who perform to help them look good and have good results. We have people who gain titles, and refuse to learn the value of delegation. Therefore the 'bottleneck" simply gets tighter and constrict the flow and development of things.

The hunger or in some cases the near stravation like obsession with power is "crazy". there is a LACK of colloborative cooperation, which is often seen in people talking about "protocol". If there was more interactive divisional cooperation, there would be less focus on protocol and more Directorial Team work, then things could get done through the system with a good structure of delegated authority to interact and move forth actives, programs and processes, to escalate the performance standard to a true function system. This concept is totally Foreign in this city and region.
It may be decades before we get anywhere close to this level of performance function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City