Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 PM

96 posts, read 175,708 times

Advertisements

Okay, due to family issues and the like, I am moving to Shreveport in about 3 weeks. Looking to rent a place--no lease--for the first couple of months until I can get settled there.
Ideally, I would like a neighborhood like Richmond Virginia's *Fan* district, or like the downtown areas of Asheville, NC....I have lived in both.
Row houses with fenced in or walled in back yards...small houses, but my dog and I will not need much room.
I would have to near a bus line or whatever public transportation there is.
If you have a house or apt to rent, feel free to send me a private message.
Any advice? Suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Sounds like what you're looking for is Shreveport's Highland neighborhood... but be warned, you really need to research with the Shreveport Police Department which areas of Highland would be safe to live in, if safety is a big concern for you. It's a charming historic district in Shreveport, but it has its areas of high crime. Just be safe and research it first.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Sounds like what you're looking for is Shreveport's Highland neighborhood... but be warned, you really need to research with the Shreveport Police Department which areas of Highland would be safe to live in, if safety is a big concern for you. It's a charming historic district in Shreveport, but it has its areas of high crime. Just be safe and research it first.
Thanks for the advice!
What about these areas?:
Camille
E. 69th
Navaho Trail
Euclid

I have been going through acres of real estate ads....

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

E. 69th will get you killed instantly. Too many people die in that area from random killings, drug and gang-related killings, and STRAY BULLETS from gunfights.

Unfortunately I don't know about any of those others. Navaho Trail sounds like Cherokee Park to me, which is another place most people don't survive very long.

Give me a little while and I'll post up a map of the Highland area so you can see the street names. Then I would seriously suggest you checking with the Shreveport Police Department with specific street names.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Thanks! I am leaving here on Monday, around lunch time or so...will be in Shreveport seven hours later...wait...maybe I should leave here around midnight, get to Shreveport in the morning...might be a better idea...guess I better go do logistics with son...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Sorry for the delay, but here's the map I promised:

Copyright © 2005 City of Shreveport, Louisiana

This is the general area of the Highland Historic District and will give you some street names to use as a reference. Personally I would steer clear of anything in the upper portion of this map for safety reasons. And there are bus lines all over this area. I don't think there's any part of Shreveport proper that isn't covered by bus service. We also have nighttime service, and you can find that information here: SporTran Night Service.

While you're here it definitely wouldn't hurt to stop in to the Shreveport Police Headquarters, just outside of downtown near the I-20/I-49 interchange to ask for information on any of the streets on this district map.

I hope this is a help to you.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 13,510 times
try the Highland area, it is the closest thing we have to the fan district, but, do not get your hopes up, the area, though once very nice, has had a bit of a downturn in the past 10 years or so, it is progressively getting better, however. there are some beautiful older homes and apt buildings to rent there...enjoy

Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Highland's biggest downtown was from the 80s-90s. Over the past 10 years it has become more of a neighborhood for "house flipping" and restoration, so there has been a lot of outside investment in that area. Some of the "flipped" or otherwise restored properties in the neighborhood have even been showcased on HGTV. It's definitely getting better.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Wonderful Info!

Thank you so very much, SBC and you, too, mgriff!
I will focus on the Highland area...already been talking to some agents down there. At first most seemed to want to steer me towards a more *suburb* area.
Yech! I am NOT a *suburb* type person! Either put me w-a-a-a-y out in the country or smack dab in the middle of town. I don't deal well with *in between* areas.
I am getting very excited about this move ...I have lived in 13 countries and 28 states and I have visited Louisiana a couple times and always wanted to live there...so...
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Now...am I really gonna have to eat alligator to fit in with the locals?
(can't be any worse than those crunchy baby birds in Spain... )

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Best of luck to you and I hope your transition is a smooth and safe one. If you ever need help finding your way around, just post and I'll try to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City