U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM

29 posts, read 94,938 times

Advertisements

Hello All

Its looking like we are more than likely moving to the area from the UK and I have some questions

Is there a lot of people who cycle and if there are dedicated cycle lanes on the roads as google doesn't appear to show anything in the city or surrounding radius. We were hoping to be able to continue cycling for leisure as a family.

What things are there for an 8 year old girl to do it seams what we would call a park here isn't the same in the US. We have a fair few parks that have lakes and adventure playgrounds that are free and maintained by local council. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

Also which grocery store chains do you have I see Walmart and Brookshires are those the main 2?

Thanks in advance of you help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 49,604 times
There are parts of the city that are friendly to cyclists. The main area that comes to mind is the Arthur Teague Parkway - the city just recently spent quite a bit of money extending the bike path. It's not too crowded, but on nice days you'll see quite a few people jogging & cycling etc...I enjoy it, it is on the riverfront. I'm sure others on this forum can add to the different places where you can cycle. There are some bike paths close to Brownlee Park in Bossier as well.

I see quite a few people cycling up and down the roads that I travel, they have large medians - and you'll see people cycling in neighborhoods, or around town for triathlons. In my opinion, the city itself is generally NOT bike friendly, and dare I say a little unsafe with some of the traffic and road issues we have.

Shreveport, and Bossier alike aren't densely populated in a sense where you can get from one area to another quickly - It's quite spread out. So I would imagine that you'll unfortunately find yourself loading up in the car to get from one place to another more often than you'd like.

I think we have some parks that your 8 year old would enjoy. Most of them have large playgrounds where kids can safely climb, play, run, swing and all of that fun stuff. You can look at Shreveport Parks and Recreation, and Bossier Parks and Recreation websites to browse their youth programs to see if you can find something you would like. Generally speaking they are going to have a variety of sports program that you can enroll in. We've enjoyed many programs over the years. Admission to the parks are also free.

The grocery chains that I remember we have here are Wal-Mart, Brookshires, Kroger, Albertsons, and Shreveport recently broke ground on a Whole Foods. During the Summer (May - August) natives of the area will have a Farmer's Market where you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables in various areas of both cities - the largest Farmer's Market is in downtown Shreveport. There are also some health foods stores and some meat markets around as well.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,572,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyu View Post
Hello All

Its looking like we are more than likely moving to the area from the UK and I have some questions

Is there a lot of people who cycle and if there are dedicated cycle lanes on the roads as google doesn't appear to show anything in the city or surrounding radius. We were hoping to be able to continue cycling for leisure as a family.

What things are there for an 8 year old girl to do it seams what we would call a park here isn't the same in the US. We have a fair few parks that have lakes and adventure playgrounds that are free and maintained by local council. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

Also which grocery store chains do you have I see Walmart and Brookshires are those the main 2?

I prefer Kroger and Target. Wal-Mart here is trashy and a crime nexus. Always a shooting in the parkinglot to be read about.

As to cycling, there are 2 parks, one on the Bossier, and one on the Shreveport side of the river, that run next to the river. They are pretty nice. I see cyclers there a lot. Sometimes they block off Clyde Fant in the mornings for biking marathons (or whatever they are caleld?)

This city is not health conscious and does not encourage it. There aren't bike lanes or any other provisions other than what I meantioned, that I am aware of. The only place side-walks don't randomly dead-end is in a neighborhood, or down-town. But if you want to bike, say, from LSUS campus to your apartment, yeah, there isn't a lane for that unless you live on University Campus.

Based on your question, I would caution about a move to Shreveport/Bossier. It sounds like you will be headed back in time a good ways (racism and crime are a given, and city council is more like a group of bickering highschoolers, infrastructure is being constantly patched in sub-standard ways because of initial sub-standard work...) when you arrive. Curious to see your impressions!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the reply's much appreciated.

That cycle path on Arthur Teague Parkway looks like the kind of thing we are looking for its a shame it doesn't follow the Red River to Alexandria and beyond that would keep us busy.

Is there a pedestrian bridge connecting Shreveport to Bossier?

I'm happy there are several alternatives to walmart I don't use them here other than for there world food section.

I don't get involved in politics here and I have no desire to get involved in it in the US I will pay my taxes when due.

I have listened to Keel radio to try and get a feel for what goes on in the area etc but your news is completely different. Here its more music with news on the hour and traffic an competitions to win money and holidays that the sponsor give. I heard they are trying to get support to knock down 3 schools and build 1 big one but it all seemed political nothing to make you feel more positive. Perhaps I'm listening to wrong station if someone could point me in the right direction?

When we arrive I will give my honest feedback on how I find the city to be.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,417,184 times
I grew up in the area for about 30 years before moving. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

A bike way to Alexandria would be over 100 miles, and there's no way this state (Louisiana) would build a bike lane that long. Authur Teague is the best you'll get in the area. There just aren't enough bike enthusiasts in the state to spend that kind of money. However, there's plenty of really good camping to be done in Arkansas, and New Orleans about the only place close that is anything remotely close to bike friendly that I can think of.

There is a pedestrian bridge crossing the river, it's the Texas Street bridge downtown. You can legally walk across any bridge but it's not very safe because the lanes are very narrow, but the bridge downtown has a dedicated walkway across it.

There are plenty of alternatives to Walmart, it just depends on what area you live in. They are mostly national chains, however. That's just how it is there...

710 Keel is talk radio. Talk radio in the US is largely VERY hardcore conservative politics. It's pretty much the only talk radio station in the area (that I know of ...) There are a couple of pop stations up there, but most of the radio stations are country music. They do the whole news on the hour and traffic near 5 o clock stuff, with plenty of free giveaways here as well. Try 96.5 KVKI. I don't remember all of the radio stations, I have a neurological disease and I have really crappy memory when it comes to fine details (I had to sing a tune from my childhood to remember that one).

Traffic in that town is almost non-existent save for a few key times (not including rush hour, rush hour isn't really bad anywhere in the area.)

Get ready for a huge culture shock, it's not like Europe in any stretch of any way I can think of other than it's primary religion is Christianity. Idk what interests you have, but I can try to point you in the right direction if you have any questions.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM

974 posts, read 2,062,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyu View Post
Hello All

Is there a lot of people who cycle and if there are dedicated cycle lanes on the roads as google doesn't appear to show anything in the city or surrounding radius. .............

Just whatever you do... drive on the right side of the road! Because folks in Louisiana don't drive too well and you'll want to be safe!!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply 96.5 KVKI is more what I was looking for

Is there any Skate parks in the city? Other than cycling and messing about with R/c cars I don't know what I'm going to do as since our daughter was born are time revolves around keeping her entertained .

I may get another motorcycle but it all depends on if I feel safe on the roads. Its good that traffic isn't going to be an issue especially as I've got to learn to drive at the moment I hold bike licence in UK.

When does summer time start and end? and what was last years high? Is it really unbearable that outdoor activities come to a halt.

I will probably go to hot wheel skating palace.

BeenThereDunThat
Thanks for the heads up Its funny as that the thing I dreading the most!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM

24 posts, read 49,604 times
As a matter of fact there is a skate park, and from what I've heard it's quite nice. From my understanding - MTV personality/ DC shoes owner/ professional skateboarder Rob Dyrdek designed it at our Stoner Park area. It's right on the bike-jogging-walking path off of Clyde Fant Parkway that was mentioned in other posts - and I believe admission is free as well.

Usually after the first weekend in May it'll start warming up quite a bit. I'm not going to lie it gets H-O-T and muggy around July & August. Yes, during mid-day in the dog days of Summer most people will try to stay indoors because of the excessive heat. July-August you can expect highs in the upper 90's to 100's and that's not counting the heat index. "Heat Index" basically means it feels hotter than it actually is - add another 6-10 degrees on the actual temperature reading.

Things start getting much more comfortable 70's - 80's in late September up to November, then things will cool down quite a bit until that following March. To me the Fall season is the best time of the year in Louisiana - it's not very humid, the air is crisp, and the weather is great for everything. Hope that answers your questions.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Dr Dough
Thanks for the reply. Potentially there we can spend more time outdoors than we can here which is a good thing

Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 AM

5,349 posts, read 2,932,985 times
Quote:
I may get another motorcycle but it all depends on if I feel safe on the roads. Its good that traffic isn't going to be an issue especially as I've got to learn to drive at the moment I hold bike licence in UK.
I don't know what can improve the motorcycling in this area, one element is the weather, (not much one can do about that) and another is potholes, I have a practically New Harley, I'm not a cold weather rider, and I detest large potholes and excessively bumpy roads. Country roads some are nice,(until it runs into an unmaintained section) but equally so, many types of animals cross the roadways, and there are many trucks that throw up a great deal of debris if you get stuck behind one, so there are built in challenges to motorcycle riding; the true die hard riders brave these conditions, but the challenges are not ideal for the casual rider. Weather condition as mentioned is a challenge with the excessive heat of summer. I found these things out the hard way, and it curtailed my interest in riding as I once had imagined to do.

I owned a Classic Porsche, I refused to drive it here; as it had special suspension work done and these roads were a detriment to the car. It remained parked, until I simply sold it rather than destroy the suspension on these roads. It did perform well on roads in Texas, but once I crossed back into Louisiana, the only thing I wanted to do was get my car safely back to the garage and park it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City