U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 PM

974 posts, read 2,063,079 times

Advertisements

Turns out the Duck Commander sponsorship didn't pan out for Shreveport's Independence Bowl like bowl officials thought it would. It was announced a few days ago that the "special arrangement" the Robertson's made with Shreveport's Indy Bowl just didn't work at all. The Indy Bowl didn't get all the sponsorship synergy they were counting on and once again, Shreveport's Indy Bowl lost money.

Folks may recall that unlike most college bowl sponsorships.... Duck Commander didn't pay any money upfront or backend or anything... there was NO CONTRACT. There was just this "Letter of Intent" which basically meant nothing. So Duck Commander got more exposure thanks to ESPN televising the game. Shreveport got to associate with the Duck Commander "brand" and well...no other third party sponsorships to amount to anything ever really materialized.

It's amazing.... Duck Commander basically got a nationally-televised college bowl sponsorship for free.
The folks running the Indy Bowl must've expected something magical to happen and it didn't. After reading the article below, I can honestly say I've seen better deals written on cocktail napkins.

By the way.... this isn't the first instance of sponsorships gone awry. There was the PetroSun Indy-Bowl sponsorship in which the company was basically teetering on bankruptcy when their sponsorship was announced. They wound up owing the Indy Bowl sponsorship money that never was paid, so the city wound up holding the bag (again).

Considering that some Indy Bowl officials make serious money...as in 6 figures...it makes one wonder what they really do to earn that kind of scratch? Wonder what other enterprise that makes bad deals like that where you can still stay employed? Guess all the Indy Bowl board members who approved the deal were too busy getting their pictures taken with the Robertsons and going to all the VIP shin-digs to care much about those "pesky business details"... who wants to waste time with due diligence when there's celebrities to hang out with and parties to be had?

I-Bowl without sponsor again
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,417,976 times
I thought Duck Dynasty was a big deal up there. When I went back a few times to visit my mother, there were promotional things from them in a lot of stores. But I guess it'll take more than a couple of bigoted rednecks to people there excited enough to go have fun by going to a sports game or something.

In all seriousness when is the last time that stadium was anywhere resembling full?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 PM

3,045 posts, read 7,584,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I thought Duck Dynasty was a big deal up there. When I went back a few times to visit my mother, there were promotional things from them in a lot of stores. But I guess it'll take more than a couple of bigoted rednecks to people there excited enough to go have fun by going to a sports game or something.

In all seriousness when is the last time that stadium was anywhere resembling full?
Actually some caddo commissioners had some strong feelings against this union. I don't think everyone was on the same page with this sponsorship.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM

One Af-American commissioner was against it mostly because of Phil Robertson's comments about blacks "in his day" not being discriminated against and were happy people singing in the fields. Robertson was either oblivious to the racism going on around him or just too in denial that anything wrong was going on at the time. Of course that could've been the same time he was a drunkard going around and whipping up on people. Commissioner Ken Epperson's request for more disclosure of the terms of the deal were denied at the time back in 2014. No body else chimed in about it and nothing more was asked. So looks like the Indy Bowl (once again) gave away the cow, the milk and the whole dang farm to Duck Commander and they didn't even get a kiss on the cheek after it all was over.

Commissioner wants answers about I Bowl sponsor - ArkLatexHomepage.com

Old 04-09-2015, 06:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,574,961 times
Oh, Shreveport, lol! Now I know why Elio is courting Shreveport so hard. That's ridiculous. People forget that the "Duck Commander" is a highly intelligent person. He's not some backwoods idiot with a beard. He played them like a boss!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,417,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Oh, Shreveport, lol! Now I know why Elio is courting Shreveport so hard. That's ridiculous. People forget that the "Duck Commander" is a highly intelligent person. He's not some backwoods idiot with a beard. He played them like a boss!
Yup, people all over Louisiana hustle like you wouldn't believe. It's not just confined to the politicians.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 PM

More like his son "Willie" because he was the point-man on all the arrangements and got courted by the promotions agency in Dallas along with the yo-yo's who serve on the Independence Bowl Board. Phil is just the old crotchety patriarch who likes to create BS & drama with his point-of-view rants.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,574,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Yup, people all over Louisiana hustle like you wouldn't believe. It's not just confined to the politicians.
Oh, I'm well aware, which is why I was very VERY selective about doing business with anyone in that state. Hell, I had to drive 4 hours round trip just to go to someone who had good film and knew how to apply it just to get my windows tinted. Any company based out of Louisiana starts in the negative with me and has to work to neutral and then positive.

Places that I trust in that state:

Glass, Auto, Tint, etc. in Alexandria
Unity Tactical/Advantage Group in South LA
Interstate Guns/Sport Optics in South LA
Chevyland in Shreveport, LA (their service department's customer care/service was second to NONE. Same for the guy I bought my corvette from, Tim)

That's my short list. Those are the companies that I will give business to now that I no-longer live there, and the one's I gave business to while I lived there. Everything else I needed besides oil changes and groceries, I outsourced from elsewhere.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 AM

5,349 posts, read 2,934,904 times
I never really thought it to be a good paring; its somewhat 'faddish", although we are in the south and the tonality may have appeard to be a match. But, we are a different kind of "South" in the broad sense.

If we are looking for a Sponsor, maybe we may need to look to "group sponsorship", which can include some major brand as well as partnership with some of our more prominent local business, and select a "Unique Name for the Sponsorship.
We also need to consider what will be our manner of promotions of this event as well as how can we invigorate the Facility with appeal, not only for the Football Game, but what other major function to coordine into the mix.

I certainly have some ideas, but to get ears to listen is itself a major problem in this city.

If I was in some leadership role - I'd do a few thing, one would be to read comments in the local news, and to read comments on sites like this. (to know what the people are thinking, what are their interest and what are their concerns.) I'd like to see the site send its link to city leader, with a emphasis of 'staying in touch with the community".
I think it could be helpful to the site, but even more helpful to the city leaders, as well as the local politicians and regional politicians. It's a great name for this site - Citi-Data, which can provide good info for leaders as well as leader can have the option to craft blogs which actually speak to the people, or weekly Post, even if they choose to pre-screen comments, (if that is an options).

I don't get how anyone in leadership can discount or dismiss social media in these type of formats, which could offer a great deal of benefit and connectivity; as well as, people may start to contribute on a whole different frame of interactivity and expand on the spectrum of the content.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM

First thing they should do is call for the resignation of all those who signed off on the past "letter of intent". This alone shows the degree of either ineptitude or lassitude or both with regard to running a successful sports event like the Indy Bowl. Clean the house first should be the order of the day. This would at least send some message that such performance should not be tolerated. Someone told me the Executive Director makes more than $100,000 a year.
Time to cut back, I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City