Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta123 View Post
Why is that, SBCguy? Is it the demographics, crime, locations, statistics, politics, money, what? I'm just curious, and since it seems you live and work in those areas..............
Poverty and crime are keeping Plain Dealing back, unfortunately. Benton is experiencing major growth because it touches Bossier City, but that growth really doesn't extend north of Benton.

Now I will change what I said before to one extent. If Plain Dealing has any land in the recently discovered "Haynesville Shale," then Plain Dealing could be poised for major growth in the coming years. The recent announcement of the Haynesville Shale says that this entire region might be sitting on top of the largest natural gas field ever discovered. If so, brace yourself for major growth akin to the major oil boom that this area saw decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM

47 posts, read 181,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Now I will change what I said before to one extent. If Plain Dealing has any land in the recently discovered "Haynesville Shale," then Plain Dealing could be poised for major growth in the coming years. The recent announcement of the Haynesville Shale says that this entire region might be sitting on top of the largest natural gas field ever discovered. If so, brace yourself for major growth akin to the major oil boom that this area saw decades ago.
Interesting. I never heard of this, so I did a google.
Seems as if the so called spots are around Mira, Hosston, Blanchard..... I couldn't see anything any further North of say.... Bolinger.
Then again, since I don't understand that industry, I more than likely don't understand what I'm looking at.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta123 View Post
Interesting. I never heard of this, so I did a google.
Seems as if the so called spots are around Mira, Hosston, Blanchard..... I couldn't see anything any further North of say.... Bolinger.
Then again, since I don't understand that industry, I more than likely don't understand what I'm looking at.
The Haynesville Shale is a brand new discovery, and no one knows for sure what parts of the area it encompasses, or the true magnitude of it. Google likely won't return much in the way of reliable information on the Shale just yet.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM

47 posts, read 181,989 times
I've been doing a lot of reading about the Haynesville. According to some sources a company has already drilled two dry holes near Benton, which means that Benton is as far north as the shale extends. But like you stated, growth is already occurring there.
Guess that leaves Plain Dealing out, though.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,020 times
I actually welcome it!! I moved here from Alpharetta, GA and am in Benton but out by Rocky Mount. I hate that it takes me 20 minutes to get to a gas station, and even longer for a real store. There are NO jobs, and the commute to where the jobs are is rediculous. I say bring on the people, technology and neighborhoods, so we can finally have some kind of property value, quality of life, and catch up with the rest of the world!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:08 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Um, you moved from alpharetta, which is dead smack in the middle of Atlanta sprawl, and complain that it takes you 20 minutes to get to the action? All you did was trade one bad commute for another. Sprawling Bossier City to swallow up Benton will not solve your problem. You'd be better off moving to bossier city, problem solved, but just like alpharetta, it'll cost you in the pocketbook. You can't have cheap land, space and convenience at the same time. You won't find that in Atlanta, and you won't find that in Benton either.

Will all these conveniences make their way to Benton in less than a decade? probably. But it will be par for the course because by then the drive time to the Bossier boardwalk will take you in excess of an hour and airline drive will be the louisiana equivalent of the gwinnett county rush hour/I75-85 connector/any other garden variety atlanta 35MPH parking lot. Housing prices in bossier parish are inflated as they are, I for one do not look forward to the swelling of the city. Explosive growth doesn't raise the quality of life, it dilutes it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
Let it be known to anyone interested in moving to benton,la. It is not against the law for steel traps to be set inside the city limits. Your cats,dogs and children are at risk. The laws for the town of benton are outdated. This is a growing town and the laws need to be set for a modern civilzation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City