U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM

104 posts, read 811,283 times

Advertisements

HI, all. We are moving to the Haughton area and have a son that is in 9th grade. Some of the houses we are looking at are in the Airline High school district and some are in the Haughton High school district. I did look a school site and saw the ratings etc. Airline seems to be a much bigger school than Haughton. Just wanting to get your thoughts on these schools. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM

12 posts, read 45,712 times
Default high school help

I am moving to Bossier this summer, and I posted a similar post to yours and I received a couple of responses. Go to the post titled "Airline HS or Parkway HS."

Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM

104 posts, read 811,283 times
Jdonald, Thanks. I did look at that post. Still no info on Haughton High. My son wants to be a Scientist so education is very important to us. But, I also want him to be safe. Maybe someone will help us!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM

772 posts, read 4,244,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciK View Post
Jdonald, Thanks. I did look at that post. Still no info on Haughton High. My son wants to be a Scientist so education is very important to us. But, I also want him to be safe. Maybe someone will help us!
I live in Haughton but have no children so I don't know much about the school except that a lot of people tend to like it. Something tells me, however, that if your child wants to be a scientist you really need to have him in Caddo Parish's magnet program. Those schools are geared toward preparing students for specific professions. I just don't believe a kid living in Haughton can attend a Caddo Parish school. But if you're going to live in the Stockwell or Dogwood areas you're really in Bossier City anyway and Airline would be the better school of the two academically.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 9,051 times
Thumbs up Haughton hs vs airline

I am a mother of a recent haughton hs grad. My daughter transferred to haughton halfway thru her fresman year, failing every subject. Granted, she was living with her dad and was unhappy, but she was in a very large school where she was barely noticable (even being gorgeious as she is) the teachers had no time and were completely overloaded. I moved to Haughton and she came with, long story short.... she just graduated mid term (6 mos early) all a's and b's and the school is wonderful ... being a large school isnt always better... airline and haughton are in the same parish so the curriculum is the same...airline population being about the same as northwood....I graduated in the bossier parish school system from Benton ( a small school) and my husband from airline.. even back in the eighties airline was big...and my teachers had more time for me then and his didn't . This is only my view but i hope it helps. Small town schools seem to care more and Haughtons councelors certainly did and I have and 18 year old already graduated in January with a job starting college. That speaks alot for the school....

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Default Haughton hs vs airline

by the way dont let the typo's reflect on educational views I have, I am a busy emt and I took the time at work to type this in a very big hurry , thank you

Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpartin1 View Post
I am a mother of a recent haughton hs grad. My daughter transferred to haughton halfway thru her fresman year, failing every subject. Granted, she was living with her dad and was unhappy, but she was in a very large school where she was barely noticable (even being gorgeious as she is) the teachers had no time and were completely overloaded. I moved to Haughton and she came with, long story short.... she just graduated mid term (6 mos early) all a's and b's and the school is wonderful ... being a large school isnt always better... airline and haughton are in the same parish so the curriculum is the same...airline population being about the same as northwood....I graduated in the bossier parish school system from Benton ( a small school) and my husband from airline.. even back in the eighties airline was big...and my teachers had more time for me then and his didn't . This is only my view but i hope it helps. Small town schools seem to care more and Haughtons councelors certainly did and I have and 18 year old already graduated in January with a job starting college. That speaks alot for the school....
Airline is a "good" school, but EXTREMELY overcrowded. Having major social anxiety and claustrophobia, walking down the hallways of that school was very hard.

The only problem I have with Haughton High is that their staff doesn't seem to give a crap about the high incidence of drug use (particularly METH) among their students. Now don't give me wrong, drugs were very, very common at Airline as well, but not meth. In Haughton, meth is the drug of choice, so even the high school kids are into it ... an alarming percentage of them. The school's staff has known about this for years but does nothing but sweep it under the rug. About 10-12 years ago I watched one of my best friends turn into a meth junkie and end up in prison for manufacturing shortly (within months!) after he transferred from Airline to Haughton High.

Anyway, that is my only beef with Haughton. I have heard from people who live near me that their kids enjoy the school and feel they receive a quality education. But a lot of people are concerned about their kids getting wrapped up in the world of meth through classmates. I do believe they have valid concerns.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 156,375 times
Wow, it's really freaky for me to read that high school aged children are into meth. I don't have kids but I remember my high school days and wow... meth is hitting kids that young? That's scary; meth is a very frightening drug.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
Wow, it's really freaky for me to read that high school aged children are into meth. I don't have kids but I remember my high school days and wow... meth is hitting kids that young? That's scary; meth is a very frightening drug.
My friend not only began using it, but he and his cousins went to prison for manufacturing it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 AM

yes, I heard about this when my daughter was there and I have to reply with... yes its there.....and everywhere, not just at haughton, airline also,parkway,northwood, and especially the private schools, and not to mention the athletic teams with all of the above....Haughton is not isolated, just smaller, so not as easy to "drown" out if your a meth head..alot of kids are doing it to keep up. The best of students at all schools do it, and some dont....the pressure is high on kids..harder and more curriculum, athletic scholarships....and so on. Our kids have to have the fortitude to say no..because if you try to shelter them to a school with no drugs, there isnt one..so Ill take the school with the most personal attention.. I knew some of the student pot heads, my daughter and you wont believe this,could handle being around them and saying no....now your saying to yourself..."right, I bet, " we have had in our family someone with a prior drug problem and it hurt her to see this so bad...she couldnt even fathom doing them. Granted she didnt run with them all the time she could still be exposed and say no..Haughton is a good school with good teachers and councelors, rest easy if you have your child going there. They are just as safe there as they are at any high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City