Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,424 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am originally from the NW La area and am looking to return to be closer to family.

Currently, I'm considering South Highlands or the Broadmoor area b/c I LOVE LOVE older homes and the quaintness that comes with those neighborhoods. I don't want to be in 'burbs with cookie cutter homes and no trees.

I am a single, female professional, late 30s, no children.....

Could you please give me the pros and cons of living in South Highlands or the Broadmoor area? I know the "ghetto" is close by. Curious to know if you feel safe, experience problems with crime.... How are city services? Would I be safe walking a dog, running, etc? Is there a true sense of community? Are neighbors friendly?

I'm also considering the historic district in Minden, but it seems historic homes are held close and don't come on the market very often.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:40 PM

358 posts, read 710,682 times
They are both nice neighborhoods. I've been here a year, not in these particular areas but almost. I haven't had any issues with crime. I don't feel unsafe. You just need to use common sense and take the same precautions you would anywhere. And just by driving through the area you can see where things start to decline (worst areas seem to be near Centenary Blvd and west of Line Ave below Pierremont).

I don't know how it compares to Bossier, but city services in Shreveport do seem to be slow. Street and common area maintenance is not exactly prompt. Hopefully that will improve.

Personally I think it's a great area. It's pretty much as you would expect. The older part of Shreveport offers proximity to various things people enjoy doing: parks, restaurants, shopping and other typical 'city' activities. My neighbors here are great. It's definitely an older demographic, but that's starting to change gradually. If you are an outgoing person, I think you'll find plenty to do and, yes, there is a sense of community.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,424 times
Thank you so much!!! I looked at a house today in Broadmoor and really liked the area.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 53,028 times
Not sure if you are still looking - I realize this is an older thread.

To me if you are looking for that "charm" factor I'd stick to South Highlands area. I lived around the Thornhill/Fairfield area for many years, and I still miss the area. It was really easy to scoot down Fairfield to go to Betty Virginia (which they've started using that park for a lot of cool stuff), or continue down to Pierremont to head to restaurants or pubs down around the Line Ave area.

There is a revitalization going on in that area with "younger" people/families etc moving in and fixing up homes. Plenty of area to run. Like the other poster said, just be aware of your surroundings, and stay off the bad streets and you'll be fine. The Southside of King's Hwy is a little nicer to me. My wife ran there by herself all the time and never worried.

Broadmoor has been going downhill for years. Neighborhoods have rampant speeding, dilapidated homes, ghetto closing in, and a rat problem believe it or not. For a long term investment - in my opinion - Broadmoor in general isn't my favorite. There are still some nice areas though, it's not all horrible.

Good Luck and happy hunting - or congratulations if you have found what you are looking for.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:55 AM

358 posts, read 710,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dough View Post
Not sure if you are still looking - I realize this is an older thread.

To me if you are looking for that "charm" factor I'd stick to South Highlands area. I lived around the Thornhill/Fairfield area for many years, and I still miss the area. It was really easy to scoot down Fairfield to go to Betty Virginia (which they've started using that park for a lot of cool stuff), or continue down to Pierremont to head to restaurants or pubs down around the Line Ave area.

There is a revitalization going on in that area with "younger" people/families etc moving in and fixing up homes. Plenty of area to run. Like the other poster said, just be aware of your surroundings, and stay off the bad streets and you'll be fine. The Southside of King's Hwy is a little nicer to me. My wife ran there by herself all the time and never worried.

Broadmoor has been going downhill for years. Neighborhoods have rampant speeding, dilapidated homes, ghetto closing in, and a rat problem believe it or not. For a long term investment - in my opinion - Broadmoor in general isn't my favorite. There are still some nice areas though, it's not all horrible.

Good Luck and happy hunting - or congratulations if you have found what you are looking for.
I have a better opinion on it I guess, but to the extent it's a mixed bag I don't see why Broadmoor can't experience some revitalization. Steere park is a really cool neighborhood park. And one of my favorite streets in Shreveport is that street that runs from Steere school to Kings Hwy. It's interesting you mention rats. You have these old folks in Shreveport that don't know what's going on in their attic and these old folks are so quiet themselves that all sorts of critters take over. You also have some really horrible pest control outfits in this town (specifically out to take old folks money I guess). Anyway the property I bought was a critter haven, but we are a noisy family of five; and then just taking some very basic measures on pest control did the trick.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,584 times
I cant help but reply to "Dr. Dough" these many months later. Broadmoor neighborhood is a GREAT place to live and has

only been going UPHILL for years. I have personally lived in the Broadmoor neighborhood all of my life and my grand

parents lived in South Highlands. Broadmoor has NEVER had a "rat problem" that I am aware of. Frankly I think you have

gotten the two neighborhoods ALL mixed up. South Highlands is the neighborhood notorious for rats and water pipes

bursting. Needless to say South Highlands has more elegance about it, but I would not say "charm". The two areas have

two WAY different styles: South Highlands being the grand mansions and colonial style houses built a couple of decades

before Broadmoor was even thought about, and Broadmoor being the epitome of southern living with porches on almost

every home and two stories that have a lot of "charm". If I'm not mistaken, and I know I'm not, South highlands is the

neighborhood that is literally attached to the GHETTO and you could be walking in your quaint neighborhood one second

and the next be in a less desirable neighborhood. Fairfield ring a bell? Yeah I thought so. The few homes in Broadmoor that

need to be revitalized are being renovated and honestly South Highlands will soon become another victim of Highlands

monstrosity of a neighborhood. To conclude this, I would like to say Broadmoor is a much better choice for a single

person wanting to live the quiet life in a family friendly neighborhood. Enjoy beautiful A.C. Steere and Youree drives' eating

accommodations!

Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 PM

22 posts, read 27,154 times
Broadmoor is a neighborhood in transition, lots of white trash etc. They are always bitching about something and calling the city, obviously the people there feel that there's something going on and they are scared, hence always bitching. They know it's going down hill so they're hyper alert to everything. This is a sure sign of a deteriorating neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 PM

22 posts, read 27,154 times
Scared much friend? Did you sink all your money in a house that's not worth anything in good ole Broadmoor? Get what you can now because it's soon to be the next rat, drug and freak infested Highland.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Broadmoor is slowly gentrifying iirc.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
Shreveporters hate living there. If they were proud of their city, they would do something about it. All they do is run from it. Nobody wants to stay and fix things.

The litter and dilapidation is out of hand. Too lazy to do anything. Always takes the easy way out. Nothing will ever improve if someone doesn't take the initiative.

There is no money here anymore. Just squalling and squabbling. Shady characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City