Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I recently moved to Louisiana from another state so I went to a local DMV to get a car plate. They calculated a Louisiana road use tax based on my car value and the tax was more than $3,000! My car is Toyota not the expensive “fancy” one! It is more than my paycheck so I was not able to pay it at that time. So they gave me all the paperwork saying visit again when I am ready to pay the tax. I am really overwhelmed because I cannot afford that!! Does anyone have the same experience? How did/would you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,951,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeperez11 View Post
Hi all! I recently moved to Louisiana from another state so I went to a local DMV to get a car plate. They calculated a Louisiana road use tax based on my car value and the tax was more than $3,000! My car is Toyota not the expensive “fancy” one! It is more than my paycheck so I was not able to pay it at that time. So they gave me all the paperwork saying visit again when I am ready to pay the tax. I am really overwhelmed because I cannot afford that!! Does anyone have the same experience? How did/would you handle this?
Whaaaa? Insane. Wow. Why did you move there? Can you leave?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,070,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeperez11 View Post
It's the sales tax on your car since you bought it out of State. Its combined State and Parish. Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM

42 posts, read 38,673 times
I have never been to Louisiana, so have no knowledge on this subject. The OP almost certainly paid sales tax on the car in whatever his home state was, why would Louisiana expect to charge him again ?

( not trying to be a smart a$$, just doesn't seem right to have to pay sales tax on a car twice )

Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,529,342 times
I never heard of plates costing $3000, especially not the fancy Toyota. If the plates cost $3000, I think I would keep the plates that are on the vehicle, and when they expire, drive to that state and renew the plates. Even if the state is a 2 or 3 day drive from Louisiana, the cost of the gas, motel, and food would still be cheaper than paying the $3000.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-12-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_in_Mi View Post
I have never been to Louisiana, so have no knowledge on this subject. The OP almost certainly paid sales tax on the car in whatever his home state was, why would Louisiana expect to charge him again ?

( not trying to be a smart a$$, just doesn't seem right to have to pay sales tax on a car twice )
This isn't hard. It's all online, and the OP needs to go to St Tammany Parish or wherever Parish and handle it.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_in_Mi View Post

Because they are crooked AF, broke, and a failing state. That's the same reason they pulled this **** a few years ago, trying to balance their crooked budget. Which is the same reason we got Obamacare, because Obama bribed their senator, by pumping some cash into Louisiana's failing systems. Louisiana is a disease. I lived there for 10 years, and can tell you first hand that it's an absolute cancer of a state, in every way, even the literal way. https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/healt...own/index.html

https://www.wafb.com/story/30319800/...last-25-years/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...iana-purchase/

People that move there, I feel truly sorry for them. They should read this forum. It's like one big tale of woe from those who got out, and of everyone else trying to present the clean end of a turd in defense of the tales of woe.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Because they are crooked AF, broke, and a failing state. That's the same reason they pulled this **** a few years ago. Louisiana is a disease.

https://www.wafb.com/story/30319800/...last-25-years/

Things are awesome from my standpoint. Scofflaws pay up or go to jail. Do not pass Go!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Things are awesome from my standpoint. Scofflaws pay up or go to jail. Do not pass Go!
Too bad the crime rate there doesn't reflect your idealism.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/25/65152...tes-for-murder

Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,041,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I never heard of plates costing $3000, especially not the fancy Toyota. If the plates cost $3000, I think I would keep the plates that are on the vehicle, and when they expire, drive to that state and renew the plates. Even if the state is a 2 or 3 day drive from Louisiana, the cost of the gas, motel, and food would still be cheaper than paying the $3000.

Most states have laws requiring you to get local plates and drivers license within a certain time of becoming a resident. Typically 90 days. The odds of getting caught may be low but it's a risk. The neighborhood cop might notice he's been seeing that car with out of state plates for a long time. Anytime you get pulled over the cop looks at your license and often asks where you live or if that is your current address. You aren't the first person to think of this as a way to avoid taxes, fees, inspections, or emission tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
View detailed profiles of: