U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 40,562 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Spokane Wa to Shreveport in Aug. Ive only been to Shreveport once and didnt get to look around much. I'm trying to buy a house before I get there and have checked crime for a mile radius around 4 homes but still have no idea of the surrounding area. If anyone has any info on the surrounding areas of Kirby Place, Clingman Drive, Arthur Ave or Stuart Ave in South Shreveport please let me know. The crime as far as the streets and 1 mile radius around the the streets seem decent but I want to make sure I'm not moving into a dumpy area. Areas to avoid (street specific in southeast shreveport) would be phenomenal. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,574,542 times
Hello
Clingman Stuart and Arthur are all located in the Broadmoor area. The 3 are in good school districts, relatively crime free, solidly middle class SE Shreveport. Kirby is in old highland not far from Kings Hwy and C. E. Byrd High School. I wouldn't recommend that area. Higher crime, older neighborhood with a good deal of duplex/single family rentals, more transient type people live in that neighborhood. The drug problem is more common in Kirby area than in Broadmoor. Also the schools (except for Byrd which is magnet for science and math I believe) are not real good. I believe the Broadmoor streets you refer to are Youree Dr. middle, Arthur Circle Elementary, and Captain Shreve HS, which are pretty good schools. 2 other magnet school choices are Caddo Middle Mag and Caddo Magnet (HS). These are the best schools in Shreveport that are public. Possibly part of Clingman Dr. may be in A. C. Steere elem and Broadmoor Middle. A.C. is a good school but Broadmoor Middle as of late is not really. So you may inquire about the exact districts. Hope this helps you some.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Thank you, that does help a lot. We are sending our child to Southfield and was looking at houses around that area. We found one we really like on Kirby, but we will stick to Broadmanor if that's the case.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,574,542 times
Hi again
I didn't mean to make Kirby Place sound awful; matter of fact the block between Line Av and Fairfield is one of the prettiest neighborhoods in that area. But I am going to stick with my original advice and recommend Broadmoor. Highland does have it's charms: a jazz and blues fest in Nov, a Mardi Gras parade, and some interesting people live there as well. Familywise though I would say no to that area.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the help. The house I saw is very lovely, and I even called down to the police station there and they said no major crimes have been reported on that street, but I was still skeptical because of how large the house is and how pretty it is for the price, now I know why.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM

474 posts, read 1,356,751 times
Hi Nisha,

Broadmoor gets my vote! I grew up in the Broadmoor area many years ago and each time we get down to Shrevport, I drive around my old neighborhood. I don't know what it is, but Broadmoor has never lost its character. Even during the oil depressed economy - Broadmoor remailed the same. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about where I'm looking. I keep reading not to move in Shreveport, and go to Bossier, but I know that not all Shreveport is bad.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM

772 posts, read 4,244,420 times
Another vote here for Broadmoor. As Hdwell mentioned, Highland is very hit-and-miss as far as crime is concerned, and Broadmoor is pretty much all good. I'm sure there is property crime from time to time, but you're much less likely to be victimized in Broadmoor than in Highland. Another bonus is that, when it comes to the Highland Jass & Blues Fest and the Mardi Gras parade, Broadmoor really isn't far from Highland.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Another vote here for Broadmoor. As Hdwell mentioned, Highland is very hit-and-miss as far as crime is concerned, and Broadmoor is pretty much all good. I'm sure there is property crime from time to time, but you're much less likely to be victimized in Broadmoor than in Highland. Another bonus is that, when it comes to the Highland Jass & Blues Fest and the Mardi Gras parade, Broadmoor really isn't far from Highland.

I think Broadmoor it is....thanks for the help. I'm sad to let go of the house on Kirby, but it doesnt seem safe.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM

772 posts, read 4,244,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Note above I said "Jass" instead of "Jazz." That's what I get for posting in forums when I'm supposed to be working and my mind is wandering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City