U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,029 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 children and myself are moving to the Shreveport area. We really need advice on which areas have the best schools and have the lowest crime rates. My husbands job is closest to the downtown airport. Need to know which areas are best for a family within 20 miles of this location. Please help....Thanks a bunch
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM

772 posts, read 4,252,317 times
Not to get too personal, but if you could give us a price range you're looking into as far as a home, it would help a lot. There are good areas that don't cost a lot but the homes aren't very large, and then there are the great areas with larger homes. Not sure what you're looking for, but I'd love to help.

BUT without knowing your price range, I will say that the North Bossier/Benton area is very convenient to the Downtown Airport via the I-220 loop. North Bossier will have homes from the low 100,000s up into the millions, depending on what you're looking for. North Bossier is also in an up-and-coming suburban shopping district as well, so there are plenty of stores and restaurants around with more on the way. The Boardwalk is a mere 15-20 minutes down the road from North Bossier as well, depending on how far north you look.

Even south Shreveport is fairly convenient thanks to I-49, which runs all the way into the downtown area.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,029 times
Right now we are looking to rent a home. We need at least 1300 square feet. 3 bed 2 bath. I am sure we will be looking to buy but not until we get to know the area. Any info on this would be great....Thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga tn View Post
Right now we are looking to rent a home. We need at least 1300 square feet. 3 bed 2 bath. I am sure we will be looking to buy but not until we get to know the area. Any info on this would be great....Thanks
If you were looking a couple months sooner I could have directed you to the house across the street from me. My neighbor has been renting his home out since he moved a couple years ago. It's about 1400 sq. ft, 3 bed, 2 bath, 2-car garage and rents for about $1,000-$1,100/month I believe. This is in the town of Haughton, which is 10 minutes east of Bossier City via I-20. I'm telling you this because it might give you an idea what you'll be looking at as far as rental cost.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 66,596 times
We just moved to Shreveport, too, and wanted to rent for a year until we got a chance to know the area.

We found a great house in Broadmoor neighborhood, a 30's bungalow about 2000 sq. ft. for $1100/mo. We love the neighborhood like crazy, and the elementary school is A.C. Steere is the one of the best.

I have only good to say about this area and think you will love it!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorina View Post
We just moved to Shreveport, too, and wanted to rent for a year until we got a chance to know the area.

We found a great house in Broadmoor neighborhood, a 30's bungalow about 2000 sq. ft. for $1100/mo. We love the neighborhood like crazy, and the elementary school is A.C. Steere is the one of the best.

I have only good to say about this area and think you will love it!
Is AC Steere not just an awesome school!? I went to school in Bossier, but to me AC Steere impresses as soon as you see it. The architecture doesn't even fit in with anything else in this area so it really stands out. Academics and athletics are known to be top-notch at Steere as well.

That $1,100/month for a 2,000 sq. ft. home rental in Broadmoor is very good. You know, while many of Shreveport's older neighborhoods have fallen to high crime over the years, it amazes me how Broadmoor has just stayed so nice.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,959 times
This is a DON'T post . . .

I've live in North Highland, right in the middle of Shreveport. We have the most beautiful, historic home, but I would NOT suggest having/bringing children in/to this neighborhood. South Highland (oddly, only one street - Kings Hwy - separates the two) has all of the same, beautiful homes, only they're maintained wonderfully and you don't have to worry about crime as much. More expensive, of course!

We have never had any real trouble here, just a LOT of foot traffic, loud belligerent people at all hours of the night and the cops could care less. They drive 100 miles an hour here and then slow down when they get to South Highlands. Very disturbing.

Like I said, my husband and I have never had any problem. This is the perfect place for us (mid-twenties, newlyweds, first house, etc.), its close to downtown, our favorite bars, etc. But I wanted to let you know the differences in the two Highlands so you don't get sucked into buying a house on the wrong side of town just because its cheap. (and they are!) We will be moving as soon as we decide to start a family. For the time being, I LOVE my home and we're "flipping" it to make a bit of money.

Broadmoor is cute, but most of the houses lack character, in my opinion. Parts of it have that "all-of-these-houses-we're-build-on-the-same-day-in-the-50s" look, but its a great place for kids with "slower" streets, a library, good schools, etc. Plus its right by Youree Dr. which is good because . . . well, if you can't find it on Youree, you don't need it. And thats not a slogan . . . although I suppose it could be.

I don't enjoy Bossier-City for several, totally biased reasons that I won't get into, but there are several neighborhoods to choose from there as well.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Lady October, you're going to confuse people with incorrect neighborhood names. North Highland is in far north Shreveport along North Market. Next to South Highland is just Highland... one of Shreveport's oldest neighborhoods, which was at one time the city's first-ever suburb.

I agree, however, I would not raise a family in the Highland neighborhood.

But I have to disagree about Broadmoor lacking character.... really? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about Broadmoor, and to be honest the houses don't all look alike. In fact, only a handful of homes in Broadmoor look like any other in that same neighborhood. Similar styles, yes, but not the same. And the homes date back to long before the 1950s.

Bossier City is an excellent place, where I was born and raised. After having lived in Shreveport for 2 years, in one of the city's most prestigious areas, I felt the desire to move back to Bossier Parish. Though I would much prefer to be in Bossier City, out here in Haughton isn't so bad either.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 PM

11 posts, read 33,364 times
I am going to have to brag about the subdivision I live in called Tuscany Crossing, in Haughton. Houses here are in the 175k-225k range, and all have tile floors, crown molding, granite counters, master suites, and at least 2 car garages.

I have met a few of my neighbors since moving here from the North a few months ago, and everyone is friendly. The mix seems to be mostly middle age families, some Air Force (like me) and some locals.

The crime in my neighborhood so far has consisted of my house getting TP'ed one night, and my trees getting silly stringed. It is dead quiet after 9pm on the weekdays, and mostly quiet after 11pm on the weekends.

I have to say I am pleased with Louisiana. Dont believe all the junk about all the crime. Stay out of the bad parts of town, and you will be fine. I chose to live in Haughton because I grew up in a rural area, and this was to farthest from work I wanted to be, so it was a compromise. I am extremely happy with where I am at, and heck, in 3 years when I will retire, I am thinking of staying here.

SBCMetroGuy, we must be fairly close, Reading your posts I think I have you narrowed down to a few streets.

Last edited by LAWxGuy; 07-21-2008 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWxGuy View Post
I am going to have to brag about the subdivision I live in called Tuscany Crossing, in Haughton. Houses here are in the 175k-225k range, and all have tile floors, crown molding, granite counters, master suites, and at least 2 car garages.

I have met a few of my neighbors since moving here from the North a few months ago, and everyone is friendly. The mix seems to be mostly middle age families, some Air Force (like me) and some locals.

The crime in my neighborhood so far has consisted of my house getting TP'ed one night, and my trees getting silly stringed. It is dead quiet after 9pm on the weekdays, and mostly quiet after 11pm on the weekends.

I have to say I am pleased with Louisiana. Dont believe all the junk about all the crime. Stay out of the bad parts of town, and you will be fine. I chose to live in Haughton because I grew up in a rural area, and this was to farthest from work I wanted to be, so it was a compromise. I am extremely happy with where I am at, and heck, in 3 years when I will retire, I am thinking of staying here.

SBCMetroGuy, we must be fairly close, Reading your posts I think I have you narrowed down to a few streets.
Yep you probably have me pin-pointed. lol I live not far from you at all. I actually would have bought where you live if those homes had been built when I was looking. I did drive through that subdivision often during construction, though, just to watch the progress.

The area of Haughton where you and I live is so quiet. My little subdivision is the same way... no crime to speak of, thankfully, and seemingly good people. Very family-oriented, very military-oriented, and just downright peaceful. I do spend most of my time at home indoors or in the backyard with my wife and 3 dogs. I don't know my newer neighbors or the bachelors across the street, but all seem to be very nice.

I would recommend Haughton as well, especially the Tuscany neighborhood where LAWxGuy lives and the Cornerstone subdivision across the highway from him. I would even recommend my little subdivision, particularly the street called Red Oak because it's the newest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City