U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,660 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I currently reside in Monroe. I may be jumping the gun a little, but I prefer to research this ahead of time. I have a possible job opportunity working in the Haughton area, dealing with the Haynesville Shale. If I accept the job, I will need to relocate to within 30 miles of the Haughton area. Any areas recommended to stay or stay away from? I will be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in a good area until I can sell my home in Monroe. I will probably research the area from that point, to determine where to buy a home and how much I am going to spend as that may take some time due to selling my home. Any input will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:30 PM

772 posts, read 4,248,134 times
Within 30 miles of Haughton? Man you could live in Bossier City. I live in Haughton because at the time the home prices were just what I was looking for, but if I had it to do again I'd live in Bossier. You won't find any apartments in Haughton, so your best bet would be Bossier honestly.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Within 30 miles of Haughton? Man you could live in Bossier City. I live in Haughton because at the time the home prices were just what I was looking for, but if I had it to do again I'd live in Bossier. You won't find any apartments in Haughton, so your best bet would be Bossier honestly.
Thanks for the reply. So, Bossier is the better area in that region? How much could I expect to pay for a 2br. apartment in the better areas?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 PM

772 posts, read 4,248,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob7415 View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, Bossier is the better area in that region? How much could I expect to pay for a 2br. apartment in the better areas?

Thanks
I won't lie to you, it's going to cost a lot. A lot of the newer complexes start around $800/month for a 1-bedroom. But if you're looking for a relatively cheap, yet nice apartment, look at Spring Lake Point in southeast Shreveport. It's about 24 miles from Haughton. I know this first-hand, because I live in Haughton and work very close to those apartments. I once lived in those apartments and loved it. We paid around $600/month for a 1-bedroom.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

1,906 posts, read 4,412,215 times
Not to mention you gotta add water to that. The reason I mention that is that I've never paid as much in water as I do ever since moving to Louisiana. I pay around 25-30/mo for water. The last time I paid for water was back in 2000 in Georgia and it was like $4/mo tops. So take that into account when you go asking for rental rates around here.

SBCmetro is spot on regarding rentals in the area, to be in a nice apartment you're starting at $900 for a 2 bedroom and most of these don't include washer and dryers! I know, it's kinda ridiculous for this area. I live in a so so apt complex, don't love the place but it's cheaper (around 700/mo for a 2 bed and I'm including water in that number). The place is dated and the neighbors are riff raffy (I've had petty theft of my property; heck move-outs put their discarded furniture by the dumpster and it's GONE in 30 minutes no lie) but it works for me for now since I'm sick and tired of moving and I'm trying to minimize apartment moves, but I don't recommend the place I'm living at honestly, I'm kinda sick of not having a freggin' washer and dryer and paying for washes too lol

...Houses don't rent for cheaper either. Rental rates for houses around here are not competitive (around $1100/mo to starts in the desirable neighboorhoods), meaning most are individual landlords and they essentially charge what it costs to PITI the house, so you're not saving any money by renting those. Those that come close in price to comparable apartments are straight up in the ghetto, which again is on the eye of the beholder; not really saving anything if your car wakes up on cinder blocks and your wife can't walk to the mailbox without getting hollered at now are ya? lol Good luck, overall a nice area, just pricey for Louisiana is all.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,383,988 times
Haughton High is the best school for kids around here. Decent, hard-working, self-starters and plenty of academic and athletic culture. I've been to other schools, and that is probably the best one in the region.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,228 times
Stockwell Place Apts are technically in Haughton practically across from Harrah"s Louisiana Downs. It's conveniently located near I20 and I220 and close to the shopping and restaurants in Bossier. A fire station and elementary school are right down the road. A two bedroom will cost 800-900/mo but they are very nice apts. Haughton is a older, sleepy community but as Bossier grows north and east, Haughton is beginning to see some growth esp along Hwy 80.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

974 posts, read 2,064,527 times
To add 2cents about living expenses, not sure how it runs in Haughton but in Bossier you pay about $40 automatically on your Water/Sewer bill whether you use a drop or not. It goes up to a certain amount of usage and then more after that. People got upset when these changes went into effect.
Bossier did this to help pay for a new water/sewer system upgrade which it really needs.
Not sure how it is in Haughton. Depending on where you live you may get water from Bossier Water Dept.

Check this link for more info: Finance - Customer Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City