Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM

37 posts, read 175,556 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband has a couple of job interviews coming up this fall. One is in Shreveport, and the other is in Atlanta. I have been doing research on surrounding areas of each, trying to come up with as much information as possible, to help us make a decision. If he gets the job in Shreveport, I was looking at the areas of Bossier City, NW Shreveport, and SE of Shreveport as they are relatively close his potential new job. We have young kids, so schools are important, as well as affordable homes.
We're coming from a suburb in Houston (Pearland), and we strongly dislike the commute, as well as the area (Houston that is, Pearland is okay) in general. (We're originally from a coastal community in FL). Atlanta is looking good, as it puts us closer to family, but the job isn't quite as good as Shreveport. Shreveport looks really good on the job front for a variety of reasons; we are really hoping that he only gets offered one! Basically, at this point it, our decision is either being within driving distance of family or having a great job.
Please give me the good and bad on the above areas and feel free to suggest other cities close by (under 15 miles) that might be better options. We are looking to buy a house under $200,000. Need excellent schools. Desire a relatively safe area. Short-ish commute the medical center. We are more into country living/not so cookie-cutter, but will accept our fate if we get really good schools/safe and good neighbors....A huge thank you to all who give me the time of day! Thanks in advance to SBCMetro- I've been lurking on a lot of your threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
I can tell you right now that if you're looking to simplify your life, afford more house for the money and have a shorter commute, Shreveport/Bossier blows your counter-option (Atlanta) out of the water. If you weren't happy with the Houston rat race, you won't like Atlanta's traffic. The reality is that for the median worker, housing is outright unaffordable in Atlanta if proximity to work is an important consideration. I know, I live in Bossier and lived in ATL for 3 years. Your commute to Atlanta would almost likely to be worse than what you had in Houston, I'm willing to guess that without knowing a lick of where your potential employment lead is located in the metro ATL area. That's how bad it is.

As for Shreveport/Bossier. Personally I hate hyping up North Bossier since the traffic is getting a little out of control and it's mostly due to white flight, but the area may appeal to your needs schools-wise and housing wise. SE Shreveport might offer less urbanized areas (more land) but it can be pricey in certain areas. Schools might be an issue. Income in Shreveport/Bossier is low, so if you happen to get employment that actually pays above median national income, you're ahead of the curve cost of living wise here. Certain potential events such as the hopes of a natural gas boom due to haynesville shale threaten to raise the price of housing and increase the population rather quickly and pose issues of quality of life, but that hasn't happened yet and it's probably a long term issue (change across a decade rather than a year or so).

200K in Atlanta gets you an older home in a so so neighborhood inside the perimeter, an OK house way the heck out in the exurbs (and the crazy commute that goes with it). The reality is that new england and west coast transplants flooded Atlanta in search for "heaven at a discount" and dropped all that equity and raised the cost of living for everyone. So you'll be chasing the carrot trying to afford housing under 200K in atlanta. In shrevport bossier housing for 200K can be found all around in decent areas and the commute times compared to atlanta are an outright joke. Bear in mind though that living in shrevport/bossier is medium city living, Atlanta and Houston are metroplexes. I don't have kids but I don't think going underwater in housing and commute costs really justify having timmy go to lilly white public school for winners. I rather cough up tuition for a halfway decent private school and still come out ahead balance sheet wise with housing that doesn't choke you every month. To each his/her own of course.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Like I said, the job in Shreveport seems *perfect* career-wise, but as far as family goes, it's definitely not. Both are likely to have above average salaries, but our debt brings us into a more modest reality. :-) We have lived in Tampa, and Shreveport seems to be similar in size/sprawl- that's about as big as I really want. Even then, it's not perfect. In Atlanta, we're looking at homes just outside the loop (Lilburn) and hopefully a closer proximity (under 15 miles) to work than now. Right now we are 19 miles from work, and it's an eternity (45 minutes) at almost any time of day. My husband isn't the type of person to have a job and leave it at the end of the day...sometimes he works on weekends, nights, etc and the easier it is to get to, the better for him.
On another related note, I know the schools in BC are some of the best in the state, if we choose to go elsewhere nearby, what areas are decent/or should we stay away from. Incidentally, I am a former teacher so we are open to homeschooling if we find an awesome neighborhood with dreadful schools.
Also, I recently have read two different meanings for "white flight". Is Bossier City on the receiving end, or the giving end? ...funny but people have used it both ways on the city-data forum (as in leaving the area, or flocking to the area).
One last question, I've noticed some neighborhoods (not sure of their names) south east of the medical center, kinda near the river, that seem like they're being revitalized? Is that correct, or is it still a big gamble? (LOL, pun wasn't really intended)
Thanks again for your time!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
No need to thank me, as unfortunately outside of what I've said in other threads I just don't have much to say anymore. Thanks for speaking so highly of me, though.

This place is a wealth of information, though. And 'hindsight2020' is a great help.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM

68 posts, read 228,844 times
You have stated several time Medical Center. Are you talking about LSUS Med Center, or one of the others in town. Also I lived in Atlanta for 3 years, 10 years ago and 15 miles away from work then could take an hour. In the past 10 years, the part of town I lived in is now not even considered the edge of town anymore.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Argh, I hate to answer that as he doesn't actually have the job yet!!! Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I hate to seem like I am assuming he'll get it...even though I am; I would hire him in a minute! LOL, snort.
I was just trying to be discreet. :-)
Go with the former!
Yeah, the only thing drawing me to Atlanta is the possibility of being closer to family (like on the same coast)! Other than that, I am not real interested in doing another "city" like Houston- ever; despite having some really good qualities, we still never warmed up to this place.
If I had my way, I'd go back home to FL. No jobs there though. :-(
Any thoughts on SBC vs ATL ?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Oops, I forgot to ask... what do you all think about the area of town located just north-ish of Cross Lake?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbearin View Post
Like I said, the job in Shreveport seems *perfect* career-wise, but as far as family goes, it's definitely not. Both are likely to have above average salaries, but our debt brings us into a more modest reality. :-) We have lived in Tampa, and Shreveport seems to be similar in size/sprawl- that's about as big as I really want. Even then, it's not perfect. In Atlanta, we're looking at homes just outside the loop (Lilburn) and hopefully a closer proximity (under 15 miles) to work than now. Right now we are 19 miles from work, and it's an eternity (45 minutes) at almost any time of day. My husband isn't the type of person to have a job and leave it at the end of the day...sometimes he works on weekends, nights, etc and the easier it is to get to, the better for him.
On another related note, I know the schools in BC are some of the best in the state, if we choose to go elsewhere nearby, what areas are decent/or should we stay away from. Incidentally, I am a former teacher so we are open to homeschooling if we find an awesome neighborhood with dreadful schools.
Also, I recently have read two different meanings for "white flight". Is Bossier City on the receiving end, or the giving end? ...funny but people have used it both ways on the city-data forum (as in leaving the area, or flocking to the area).
One last question, I've noticed some neighborhoods (not sure of their names) south east of the medical center, kinda near the river, that seem like they're being revitalized? Is that correct, or is it still a big gamble? (LOL, pun wasn't really intended)
Thanks again for your time!!!
Dear ErinBerin,

LOL - the "white flight" refers to Shreveport people leaving to go to Bossier bec of the crime in parts of the city, better schools in Bossier and a better police force in Bossier.

You have collected good information about Shreveport-Bossier as far as the most desirable places to live. I agree that South East Shreveport is the best area to live in period IF you live in Shreveport.

Some of the SE Shreveport subdivisions include Broadmoor, Broadmoor Terrace, Pierremont, Spring Lake, University, Town South, South Highlands (not Highland), Ellerbe Road Estates, Southern Trace and Long Lake Estates (both very pricey), all of those newish subdivisions they have built south down Ellerbe Road.

I have heard that University Elementary is very good - it is in the 71115 zip code near the Town South and University neighborhoods The 71105 schools are fairly decent or at least they used to be.

I sent my children to St. John Berchman's Catholic School and Loyola College Prep (Catholic schools - even tho we are not Catholic) because I lived in South Highlands and Willow Ridge (on Cross Lake) while they were in school because the schools they would have had to go to were not the best.

South Highlands is very close to the three main Medical Centers - LSU, Schumpert and Willis Knighton. It is also beautiful and has mature trees. The homes are older, most built in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. They are definitely not "cookie cutter". Towery Real Estate "specializes" in South Highland real estate but all of them can help you with anywhere you would want to move here.

Willow Ridge and Willow Point are very nice Cross Lake communities. I know nothing about the public schools around there. What community north of Cross Lake were you referring to?

Then there is North Bossier. Lots of "cookie cutter" homes/subdivisions out there in all price ranges. There are also some gorgeouss Cypress Lake communities out there and it has a very rural/country atmosphere. And yes, the Bossier City schools are better than the Shreveport schools. The Bossier City Police Dept is evidently VERY good and their crime rate is less than Shreveport. Huge reason to live in Bossier over Shreveport (other than SE Shreveport).

When I was looking to buy a house in 1999, I looked all over North Bossier and liked what I saw out there. However, I ended up buying a cookie cutter home in a gated community in SE Shreveport and have never regretted it tho I love the beauty and the older homes of South Highlands the best. Pierremont also has beautiful wooded lots - depending on how much you want to spend. Bottom line there is a lot to choose from in SE Shreveport and North Bossier as well.

In the past few years two huge shopping complexes have been built in SE Shreveport (on Youree Drive south of East 70th Street and North of Bert Kouns) and in North Bossier (on Airline Drive near 220). Both of these areas are the areas in SE Shreveport and North Bossier that you have heard about as being the most desirable places to live here. The developers who built those things obviously know what they are doing as far as the best place to put their businesses.

I have lived in Shreveport all of my life and know the areas pretty well so if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them, if I can.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 29,563 times
Thank you SouthernChick for your informative post. :]

Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks Southern Chick! We're still waiting to hear if he got the job (should know in Nov). If he does get it, we'll be moving there (fingers crossed) and he really likes the South Highlands area. I have been looking at homes and neighborhoods online and I was wondering which areas are best. I have seen the 50's/60's homes in Broadmoor as well as some 40's homes in Highlands. I am not sure what areas are safer? We have young kids. I am already on the ball with the schools and I am pretty aware of the magnet ones, as well as the regular ones. I am now interested in the safety of the "hoods"! Any suggestions? We're looking at a budget that's going to cap at $200K, but would prefer to keep it under $190K. Does the area near Shreve Island ever flood?
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City